Guide Data Outage - Fall 2016 Edition

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
DavidinCT

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:13 pm

Scallica wrote: EPG123 is free software. A Schedules Direct subscription is $25 a year, with a 7 day free trial. You can ask for an extended trial if necessary.

Schedules Direct pulls data from Gracenote which is owned by Tribune Media Services which owns Zap2it.
OK, thanks. I'll try to fix this again, as this is only the 2nd time this has happend to me. If it happens again (meaning free guide data is going away), then I will do some more reading on it. I know of it but, dont know all the in and outs of it....

Thanks again...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

dsrokdsa

Post by dsrokdsa » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:38 pm

Yup, as of 2 months ago more no guides coming in for Win 7 WMC for zip code for Comcast Bethel CT area.
So I changed zip code to get guides from Danbury CT area instead, that worked fine until just a few days ago when my guide ran out & now it no longer downloads any guide.
Tried installing new ip addresses for East Coast (as many forum posts suggested) into HOSTS file, made no difference.
Anyone figure out a workaround to get the epg going again yet?

dsrokdsa

Post by dsrokdsa » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:24 pm

I unfortunately missed the posts which indicated to try a different provider. I did however just try that and it gave me ALMOST 14 days of a guide (up until Nov 30th), with nothing populated for Dec 1st onward, but it still results in a guide download error.
I then ran the setup again and this time switched back to my provider (Comcast) and got the same of ALMOST 14 days of a guide (up until Nov 30th, nothing populated for Dec 1st onward), but still get a guide download error. Even though it is obviously downloading some (or part of it).
Some guide is presently better than no guide (especially with the holidays approaching)...

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:10 pm

The next time you start to buy a soda in a machine, or a bag of chips at the store, or a coffee out somewhere, put your money back in your wallet.

Do that once a month, and there's your $2.

Seriously, if $2/month is meaningful to you, perhaps you should re-examine what's going on in your life.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:16 pm

Time, actually incorrect time can also wreak havoc with your EPG. Dual Boot has known time issues that need to be accounted for.

Not sure if the time issue in Win7 extends to Win8, Win8.1, or Win10, but it is worth a check. While you are at it, check the router, and switch if applicable. Even though we all have NTP setup, I would assume that if EPG is trying to update prior to NTP sync.... problems could arise.

Of course, there is not much we can do if a time issue exists between here and the EPG Server.

http://www.ntp.org
Last edited by Crash2009 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:35 pm

Bee_Dee_3_Dee wrote:But, because EGP123, $12-a-year
$25/year
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:19 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
Scallica wrote: EPG123 is free software. A Schedules Direct subscription is $25 a year, with a 7 day free trial. You can ask for an extended trial if necessary.

Schedules Direct pulls data from Gracenote which is owned by Tribune Media Services which owns Zap2it.
OK, thanks. I'll try to fix this again, as this is only the 2nd time this has happend to me. If it happens again (meaning free guide data is going away), then I will do some more reading on it. I know of it but, dont know all the in and outs of it....

Thanks again...
I was going to work on this today but, this morning, I updated guide again and now all channels have guide data till 12/1 @ 6pm...

I'll reboot and try my 8.1 partition to see if this works there too...

and my TIME is fine between both partitions on 7 and 8.1....(it was 10 but, after the Anniversary killing Ceton tuners, bye bye 10)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012