TMT 5.2, MKVs & 7MC Integration

woodchuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

TMT 5.2, MKVs & 7MC Integration

Post by woodchuck » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:55 pm

I finally got around to converting some of my Blurays to MKV, and would love to avoid codec packs for playback. I can successfully play MKVs inside TMT from the desktop, but can't find a way to do it from inside 7MC. I have even noticed articles from a September release of TMT 5.X that stated something about MKV playback from inside 7MC. How? Can I avoid the need for a 3rd party app, like my movies, etc and just use the built in movie library?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:16 am

You do need one small piece of third party software which is the Hali Media Splitter. Don't worry this is not a codec but a transport splitter which can unpack the different media streams within an MKV. Media Center can then play these streams with it's built in codecs.

You also need to register the MKV file type as a video with Media Center so that it will include MKVs within Movies, Videos etc. The only way to do this is by editing the Registry (or importing a reg file).

AFAIK that is the cleanest way to get MKV playback in 7MC. This method does have some shortcomings though:
  • There is no mechanism to select audio tracks. So if an MKV has multiple audio tracks Media Center will always play the first one.
    Simarlarly, there is no mechanism to enable or select subtitle tracks.
    Media Center cannot generate thumbnails for MKVs (you can work around this by including a JPG of the same name within the folder).
    Media Center will not display the duration of the MKV on selection/info screens.
You can address some of these with other third party tools but then that might be defeating the object.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:42 pm

You can use mkvMerge to edit .mkv and remove tacks or reorder audio tracks so that English etc. Is the default or 1st track. I usually edit them to my liking before adding them to my collection. This solves the .mkv playing the incorrect audio for me. I use haali and the reg hack and it works very well, however I use Media Browser for my movies and tv that are archived. I would think installing the splitter and reg hack should allow you to play .mkv from within tmt5.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:43 pm

All you need to do is install Haali and AC3Filter and apply the registry tweak.

http://haali.su/mkv/
http://ac3filter.net/

Read this:

http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/01/playing- ... enter.html
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:58 pm

AC3Filter is only required if you don't have a soundcard/TV/amp capable of decoding AC3 or if you need to switch the audio track on an MKV with multiple audio tracks.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:46 am

Can any of you confirm installing this stuff won't screw up my cablecard installation?

AnnasDaddy

Post by AnnasDaddy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:14 pm

I can confirm that installing Haali did nothing to my cablecard installation. As far as AC3Filter, don't know, didn't install it. The registry tweak that Scallica pointed you to is the one I used (I believe).

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:33 pm

I have all three installed on my HTPC, Haali, The reg hack and AC3 Filter.. W/ my Ceton InfiniTV4.. Everything works as it should. =)
newfiend~