EPG123 does not populate "favorites" channel IDs

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
DSperber

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG123 does not populate "favorites" channel IDs

Post by DSperber » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:54 am

This is a "missing feature" of EPG123 as contrasted with standard WMC handling of channel ID's. When working with "favorite lineup" channel lists, the channel ID is not shown for any channel numbers, making it much more difficult to actually create/edit a favorite lineup list.

In contrast, with standard WMC Guide handling if you create a "favorites" list with WMC a similar channel list as you see when doing an TV -> Guide -> Edit channels function is presented: all available channel numbers are presented along with the channel ID to its right.

The channel number list shown when working with a "favorites" list is very similar to what appears when doing an "edit channels" function, except that with "edit channels" you can also rename the ID value associated with a channel number. But conceptually in both cases you're seeing a checkbox, channel number, and channel ID. Except that with EPG123 you're not seeing any ID values. You only see checkbox and channel number.

With EPG123, the "edit channels list" shows only the customized selected channel numbers I care about (using the EPG123 configuration dialog), and this is fine.

In contrast, since standard WMC Guide functionality handles ALL AVAILABLE CHANNELS, the "edit channels list" shows all channels.

I have no problem with this difference, and in fact applaud it. I have no interest in any channel I have no interest in, so omitting it from the channel lineup is a terrific improvement!

It is simply the "favorite channels" list where if only the channel ID could also have been populated (same as the subset shown for "edit channels") it would really be useful.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:55 am

Interesting. Is anyone else seeing this? My setups have always performed exactly like you describe a "normal" WMC functions. I have no idea why it would be any different for you.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:33 am

I have the channel info in addition to the channel numbers when I edit my favorites. Using EPG123 1.0.1 for broadcast and cable lineups.

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:37 pm

garyan2 wrote:Interesting. Is anyone else seeing this? My setups have always performed exactly like you describe a "normal" WMC functions. I have no idea why it would be any different for you.
Is there anything you'd like me to send you to look at from my system which might shed some light on my anomaly?

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:15 pm

I also experience the missing channel ID's in favorites.

It's not a big deal for me. I've had to redo my favorites every time I reset WMC. I have a printed list of my channels to refer to. Once I set my favorites, I don't really need to tinker much with them.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:10 am

What tuners are you guys using? Do you sometimes have channels you disabled reappear? Win10, by chance?
- Gary

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:26 am

I'm Win7 Pro x64, with two tuner cards: (1) Ceton InfiniTV4 4-tuner cablecard enabled, and (2) Hauppauge HVR-2250 2-tuner for OTA/ATSC.

So I have two channel lineups with SD: one for TWC/LA Digital Hollywood/Westchester (zipcode 90292) and a second for LA Digital ATSC.

I also use MyChannelLogos (using the LARGE logos), so EPG123 is presumably doing nothing relative to logos. Note that for space and readability reasons I only have channel number and channel logo (from MyChannelLogos) displayed in the left column of Guide. I do not also display channel ID in that left column.

I have no other oddities except for the missing channel IDs when doing "edit favorites" on an existing list, or when creating a new one.

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:20 pm

I am using Win7 x64 with a cablecard tuner Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650.

I only use a single lineup in EPG123. Channels don't disappear. Everything works great :D

I've been using EPG123 from the beginning.

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:27 pm

Gary,

Is there anything or file from my system you would like me to send you for investigation, which might help get to the bottom of this or at least uncover more clues as to its cause?

Obviously this isn't insurmountable or critical, and it's mostly a one-time issue to deal with. But if it's not working as expected, even only on some systems but not others, surely there must be some reason for it.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:43 am

DSperber wrote:Gary,

Is there anything or file from my system you would like me to send you for investigation, which might help get to the bottom of this or at least uncover more clues as to its cause?

Obviously this isn't insurmountable or critical, and it's mostly a one-time issue to deal with. But if it's not working as expected, even only on some systems but not others, surely there must be some reason for it.
Sorry, it's been one of those weeks/months of trying to save the world at my company. I haven't had much time to even look into this, let alone figure out what is going on. Quick question, what version of epg123 did you start with? was it a fresh start?
- Gary

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:02 am

I started out with 0.9.4 back in April 2016, and have come through everyone of your releases since then, right up through 1.0.0, 1.0.0 rebuild, and now the latest 1.0.1. Obviously my first install of 0.9.4 was a from-scratch install, while all the others were simply upgrades.

It's been the same approach each time a new version comes out. I simply unzip it, copy EPG123.exe, EPG123Client.exe and Newtonsoft.Json.dll to C:\EPG123, run EPG123.exe, push the "login" button, check the channel numbers on my "lineup 2" (LA OTA/ATSC in 90292 to un-check any newly added irrelevant digital sub-channels I have no interest in), do the same with "lineup 1" (to un-check newly added TWC/LA cable channels which almost always I have no interest in), look at any new program option checkbox features which might have been developed and that are currently un-checked, and then finally push "save and execute".

It's been five months now on EPG123, so I can't recall if at any time I did anything different from what I described above.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:49 pm

Thanks, I'll try to recreate it here... v0.9.4 was 'not quite right' when attaching a listing to a tuner channel. Might be related, might not.
- Gary

spf

Post by spf » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:00 am

garyan2 wrote:Thanks, I'll try to recreate it here... v0.9.4 was 'not quite right' when attaching a listing to a tuner channel. Might be related, might not.
I experience the same issue with channel identifiers not showing up in the "Edit Favorites" interface on two separate Media Center systems. I also have OTA plus CableCard tuners, but only just converted these systems recently (one with version 1.0.1, the other with version 1.0.2).

Space

Post by Space » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:55 am

I know this is a very old thread, but I came across it searching for some other information and thought I would post the solution in case someone comes across it...

viewtopic.php?p=118740#p118740

I just edit the channel name for channel "1" (which is no longer in use on my system) to be a very long string of underscores (not sure if spaces work, never tried it). This allows the name of all the following channels to be displayed in full in the "Favorites" selection screen.