Starting WMC in full screen results in 1-2 sec black screen

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
hansolo89

HTPC Specs: Show details

Starting WMC in full screen results in 1-2 sec black screen

Post by hansolo89 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:57 am

using windows 10 pro x64
launching wmc in full screen results in 1-2 sec black screen

card is amd hd6450 which is legacy not supporting the new direct x, so that could be why, is there a solution?

it may be because of dual monitor setup that briefly loses sync

any ideas?

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:24 pm

Does that on mine, too. I have an Nvidia 970. Takes longer than it did in Win 7. Plus, in full screen mode, I get some crazy stuttering.

1st video shows 60fps in windowed mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9z4DrcyFFY

Second video shows 60fps in full screen, which results in stuttering (not just the video, but the program itself):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Skw5YVNLw

The problem was narrowed down to whenever I played from cloned dual monitor setup. If I extended it, it was fine full screen. Not really sure what to do myself! :(

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:06 am

i fixed this by going into advanced settings and changing refresh from 60hz to 59hz.
i have to see if there are any side effects now

shavid0610

Post by shavid0610 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:08 am

Hi

I have this black screen problem when going to full screen also and have stuttering whilst watching live tv and digital media. Refresh rate here in Australian is 50htz.

I have a Compro Video Mate E750 dual capture card and an NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti graphics card.

Any suggestions?

muranoone

Post by muranoone » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:30 pm

Hey Y'all

So I have been using Win 10 Pro x64 1511 WMC v12. I did notice that when I launched WMC in Full window mode and tried watching any premium channels I would see some video stuttering, audio was ok but video was very annoying. So I checked the DEBUG: Media Navigator (Press 411 followed immediately by ctrl. D on my Keyboard) and right arrowed to end to see DEBUG: Presentation screen, in the video Frame Rate section I noticed that 29/59 Bug was in full effect hardcore! Moving like lightning back and forth between the two Frame Rates.

Solution = NVIDIA Control Panel - Display - Adjust Desktop Color Settings - Content type reported to display : Full-screen videos
Default = Automatic

Also when I minimized the WMC window the driver would quit for about 2-3 second's = black screen no audio and the TV would show the info bar: 3840 I 2160 I16:9I Dolby Digital... as if the HDMI was plugged in and out, basically the driver is maxing out and crapping out! Video Card Usage reported 85% just watching Live or Recorded TV.

Solution = NVIDIA Control Panel - Display - Change resolution - Output Color format = YCbCr420 - Output color depth = 12 bpc
Default = Output Color format = RGB & Output color depth = 8 bpc

My video card EVGA NVIDIA GTX 960 OC 2GB. & an i7 4770 - with 12GB Ram ASRock Extreme 6 Z87 MB.

Using the latest driver 368.81 & It doesn't matter what driver I used. TV = Sony XBR75X850C Since the adjustments watching premium channels usage floats between 2% & 20% and when I minimize shrink WMC displaying Live TV or whatever no more video Loss it just snaps in an out as it should with no hesitation.

** This is my solution with my setup, if it helps someone great.
Thanks for your time.

Robert

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:08 am

i also noticed if i was watching tv while web browsing, occasionally wmc would go black for .5 seconds. Turns out it was flash plugin in Firefox causing issues, i disabled it and no issues.

muranoone

Post by muranoone » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Hey Soapdish and anyone else having issues ...

Try Changing the refresh rate to 59Hz in the Nvidia Control Panel and the -Display Settings in the Monitor Tab also.

You could tell Media Center What Resolution and Refresh Rate you would like to use in the Settings-TV-Configure Your TV or Monitor.

Have it match the Desktop Resolution 59Hz and restart your machine after you apply the new settings. You should see a significant performance improvement.

Check this KB Article I found regarding this type of scenario ...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2006076