Display driver error

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
eclas

HTPC Specs: Show details

Display driver error

Post by eclas » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:25 pm

I'm pulling my hair out.
I have tried every fix I found on the net but still get this...
Display driver error The video playback devices does not support playback of protected content
On ALL channels...DRM or not

I have win 10 on a spectre x360 with the latest Intel 5500 driver. Not using external display just the built in one.
I can play back content that is recorded on another pc on my network (copy freely recording)
I was also able to play a test 'protected music file' that I found thru one of the 'fixes' on the net.

I couldn't get the resetdrm.exe file to work due to it saying it needed windows media player 11 installed and that was after getting it to run in compatibility mode.

I did del the playready and drm stuff and re-ran tv setup successfully.

Any ideas people?
Thanks

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:24 pm

Are you saying that RecordedTV is working, LiveTV is not?

Which tuner?

Type winver into cortana. What is your OS Build number?

What Version of WMC are you using? what is the name of the file that you downloaded?

I am assuming you upgraded from Win8.1 and you are using the WMC Patch for Win10.

eclas

Post by eclas » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:46 pm

No, nothing on my win 10 will work EXCEPT when I added folders on the network that had recordings from my other systems then as long as they weren't protected files they would play on my win 10 machine.
it's the 1511 build 10586.494

All tuners are affected (hdprimes)

WMC version is...WMC_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v12

I have only had the wmc patch for win 10 never had it with 8.1 on this machine.
Crash2009 wrote:Are you saying that RecordedTV is working, LiveTV is not?

Which tuner?

Type winver into cortana. What is your OS Build number?

What Version of WMC are you using? what is the name of the file that you downloaded?

I am assuming you upgraded from Win8.1 and you are using the WMC Patch for Win10.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:59 pm

eclas wrote:No, nothing on my win 10 will work EXCEPT when I added folders on the network that had recordings from my other systems then as long as they weren't protected files they would play on my win 10 machine.
Is WMC playing these files?

Lamski

Post by Lamski » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:56 pm

I had this same issue when I was on Win 7 on my HTPC. The issue is with the latest intel drivers. I could not for the life of me get it to work with the latest drivers. I had to roll back to a very old driver to get the live tv working. Maybe give that a try.

eclas

Post by eclas » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:27 pm

WMC was playing those networked files.
I don't know how it got working but this morning when I changed it to windowed mode it worked.
It still worked after going back to full screen also...so for now it's working but for how long I don't know.
Thanks for the input tho.
On a side note does anyone know if u can get epg123 to work on the win 10 version of wmc for the channel guide?
oops wrong thread for that question

Space

Post by Space » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:35 pm

Check the HDMI cable/connector. A bad/flaky connection can cause this problem. I sometimes have this issue and I just disconnect the HDMI cable and reconnect and it works again.

EDIT: You can read my saga regarding this error when I first started seeing it here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=9766

Be sure to read the whole thing before you try anything I talk about doing, in the end it turned out to be a bad/loose HDMI connection, but I know that having multiple display adapters (in my case a virtual one with VNC) can also cause this problem, because they are not HDCP compliant. It prevents you from watching protected content or ANY live TV (even if not protected). Minimizing/Maximizing allows you to view live TV, but only temporarily; when you exit live TV and re-enter, you need to minimize/maximize once again.
Last edited by Space on Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:53 pm

eclas wrote: I don't know how it got working but this morning when I changed it to windowed mode it worked.
It still worked after going back to full screen also...so for now it's working but for how long I don't know.
I have seen that problem before. When you see the blank/black full-screen, The Minimise-Maximise-Close buttons are not displayed however they are still there. Put a small piece of tape or sticky note on the screen to mark the Restore-Down button, just until you memorize the spot. In my case the problem only shows up in a dual monitor setup.

Actual Multiple Monitors has eliminated the problem for me. I am told that Maxifier will do the same thing.

eclas

Post by eclas » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:05 pm

Well, I do still need to minimize then maximize to get it to work but I can live with it on my spectre. I only plan to use it now and then on my deck.
@space - I am not using an hdmi cable. I'm using the internal display on the spectre x360
@crash - I will check my graphics settings and make sure any ref to external displays etc are disabled and see what that does.

Thanks again.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:33 pm

Well, there are your 3 opinions. To me they all point to the Graphics System. The strange part is we experience the problem on (likely) all different kinds of Display Adapters. It appears the problem spans different OS's and WMC Versions also.

Lamski-Driver
Space-HDMI/MultipleMonitors/HDCP
Crash-MultipleMonitors

The most likely culprit is the Driver and how it is handling HDCP

The problem has disappeared for me. Try this...

http://www.actualtools.com/multiplemonitors/

Here is the other one....

http://www.mods.com.au/Maxifier/

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:42 pm

BTW, I was helping someone else with a similar problem (without Display Driver Error) and on an Intel 3000.

With the 3000 there are 4 settings for the output....

Single
Clone
Extended
Dual independent head (DIH)

Perhaps, if yours has this setting,, set it to Single if you are not using the Secondary Monitor.

eclas

Post by eclas » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:29 pm

Thanks Crash,
The intel 5500 is set to single monitor (in fact that is the only option)
I tried maxifier and it was kind of buggy so I uninstalled.
I may try the actual multiple monitor program to see if I can set some setting that will work.
Knowing I can at least get a picture with a few extra mouse clicks isn't too bad since it won't be used as a main tv.
It just drives me crazy when I can't figure something like this out. :(
Next up...getting epg123 on this spectre. From what I read in that forum it will work on the win 10 ver of wmc

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:58 pm

This is just a guess...

There should be at least 3 latest drivers for the Spectre. One driver or another, might be the reason you only have one choice in the driver setup. The picture I looked at shows an HDMI out. How do they expect you to utilize or disable the output if there is only one choice?

1) HP
2) Intel
3) Microsoft Windows Update

Here are 2 latest drivers from Intel, they also mention the Default Windows driver as well.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/103016

Usually it is preferred to use the manufacturers driver. HP in this case. HP would have likely adjusted the driver to work with their other hardware/software.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/publ ... 697-1#tab1

So, which latest driver are you using?

EPG123 works fine with Win10 and WMCv12

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:29 pm

Here is where to check. Its a long ways in there...you might want to pack a lunch. Seems like they don't want us to see this.

Start/Settings/System/Advanced/Display Adapter Properties/Adapter/Properties/Driver

I wish I knew the shortcut for that one.
Attachments
DisplayAdapter001.jpg