Cox / InfiniTV 6

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
ajbudwill

HTPC Specs: Show details

Cox / InfiniTV 6

Post by ajbudwill » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIE card. Trying to get myself setup with Cox out of Arizona for the first time. Having some trouble. I opened a ticket through the Ceton website, thought I might also share my story here to see if anyone has guidance.

From Cox I received:
* CableCard
* Cisco STA1520 Tuner
* POE Filter

I have installed the InfiniTV card in my PC along with the cable card. I have run the digital cable advisor. I have plugged things in:
* Coax from wall to 2-way splitter
* Splitter out 1 has POE filter plugged in, then runs to Cable IN on the Cisco STA1520 Tuner
* Splitter out 2 is plugged into the InfiniTV card
* USB connection from Tuner to PC

Called Cox, told them I have a cable card with a retail device. They asked for the cable card id, host id. They said they paired everything / set everything up.

I get guide data and stuff through Window Media Center, I can even tune to some basic channels (in my market, 1003, 1005 - which are channels also available over the air with an antenna). However if I try to tune to other channels that are actually part of my pay cable package, they don't come in.

I ran the Ceton Diagnostics Tool. Visiting the CableCARD tab, I have green checks on everything except for:

4. CableCARD is not receiving messages yet. Please check signal connection, or replace CableCARD.

6. CableCARD has not received Validation signal. Call your cable company to verify the information is entered correctly for this CableCARD and have them resend the signal

I have called Cox 2-3 times now. They review my physical connections and say all is good. They have verified and reverified there are no typos in the CableCARD ID or Host ID. They keep 're-sending the signal' but nothing changes on my end. I left the conversation with them as, "well, you don't deal with this on a daily basis, I'll contact Ceton and see if they have any advice".

Based on the diagnostics I am lead to believe this is a Cox issue / signal not being sent. Wanted to find out if anyone has had a similar experience or can provide some guidance.

Regards,
Andrew

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:01 am

99.9% of all cable card device users have experienced exactly this issue. Par for the course. Cable companies are clueless and incompetent when it comes to cable cards.

First, they never ask for all the numbers you need to give them, in this case the all important Data ID. When they do ask, they botch something like getting the numbers wrong or sending hits in the wrong order. So if they send hits and they don't work, it's missing/wrong numbers or some other config issue on their end.

All you can do is keep trying. Worst case they will send a tech to your house who will eventually get it paired correctly. When they properly validate, it will start working.

ajbudwill

Post by ajbudwill » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:20 pm

I wanted to follow up.

Another call to Cox and I got a rep who had some experience with cable cards.

He made it all work. I asked him what he did so I could repeat the steps to the next CSR if I ever experienced problems, here is what he told me:

1. In their cable decrypted tool, unpair the card
2. Click on change in their tool, re-enter the cable card id and host id
3. Send hit, send RFHit, send reboot to tuning adapter

After all these steps I had green checks all the way down in the Ceton diagnostic tool and I was able to tune to all my channels.

Hope this helps a hopeless soul one day.