What to use to browse and watch Win7 MC recordings on Win10?

jimnms

HTPC Specs: Show details

What to use to browse and watch Win7 MC recordings on Win10?

Post by jimnms » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:40 pm

My HTPC still runs Windows 7 and Media Center, for now, but I've upgraded my other PCs to Windows 10. I share the Recorded TV directory on the HTPC, and used Windows 7 Media Center on the other PCs to be able to watch recorded shows from it. Is there any software that I can use on Windows 10 that will let me browse recordings from Media Center, group them into series and playback the closed captions? I tried Kodi, NextPVR and Media Portal. Media Portal didn't seem to support the .wtv format, and I got some warnings from my security software that it looked suspicious. The other two, Kodi and NextPVR would only give me a file listing and I couldn't see program descriptions or any of the other meta data.

I'm also considering upgrading the HTPC to Windows 10 before the deadline for the free upgrade. MS already stopped supporting Media Center, and twice a year when the time changes, we all sit with our fingers crossed waiting to see if they're going to fix the TV listings. One of these days they're not going to bother, so I'm thinking it's time to go ahead and move on to something else. I suppose whatever I go with to replace Media Center I can run it on the other PCs and not have this problem, but I still need a solution for my current Media Center recordings.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:15 pm

jimnms wrote:My HTPC still runs Windows 7 and Media Center, for now, but I've upgraded my other PCs to Windows 10.
Why not just install WMC on the Win10's? Have a look through TGB's Win10 Media Center Section. Many of us have this running with no problem right now. Some of us are all ready using Win10/WMC as the main HTPC. Recording, DRM, Extenders, etc.

And I see, you all ready know about EPG123

Wilky13

Post by Wilky13 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:11 pm

Even if you do install WMC on your Win10 machine, you will only be vale to watch the "copy freely" recordings. Any "copy once" recording will not be playable. To tell if it is "copy once", open the recording in WMC and see if at the bottom it says "copy protected."

I still run Windows 7 on my HTPC and Windows 10 on my desktop. I plan to run Windows 7 on the HTPC until it dies or loading WMC gives me the BSOD.

Search AVS for the thread where a guy asked "Should I upgrade my WMC HTPC to Windows 10" the consensus was no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilky13

Post by Wilky13 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:19 pm

Oh, and your extenders will most likely won't work anymore if you update the HTPC to Windows 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:50 pm

Wilky13 wrote:Oh, and your extenders will most likely won't work anymore if you update the HTPC to Windows 10.
Obviously you are un-informed, Xbox 360's have been working for four and a half months.

Plus, the OP has all ready stated that his recordings are not protected. How else would he have been able to play them on his other Win7 boxes that are now Win10 boxes.

In addition he could use Win10/Media Player right now, without doing anything. The downside to that though, is Media Player has such a lame interface.
Attachments
XboxHack011.JPG

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:49 pm

You could also use Kodi and/or Emby.
Attachments
KodiPulse010.jpg
KodiPulse009.jpg

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:17 pm

You could also RDP in to your Win7 and watch Recorded, or even Live non-DRM

Or even Teamviewer in to your Win7 and watch Recorded or even Live DRM

Personally, out of all the choices I prefer WMC. After all, that is what this website (TGB) is all about.

I refuse to allow them to take away MY Green Button.
Attachments
6-3-9600-16384-x64v11-005.jpg
TestSigningOnOff005.jpg
RDPfullScreen001.jpg

Wilky13

Post by Wilky13 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:23 am

Crash2009 wrote:
Wilky13 wrote:Oh, and your extenders will most likely won't work anymore if you update the HTPC to Windows 10.
Obviously you are un-informed, Xbox 360's have been working for four and a half months.

Plus, the OP has all ready stated that his recordings are not protected. How else would he have been able to play them on his other Win7 boxes that are now Win10 boxes.

In addition he could use Win10/Media Player right now, without doing anything. The downside to that though, is Media Player has such a lame interface.
I should have been more clear by "most likely", ONLY 360's will work. Echos and Linksys don't work as of now.

And yes, the assumption from the OP is his stuff isn't currently copy protected since he us using other Win 7 PCs at the moment to watch em. However, if he moves, like I did, the area I live now copy protects EVERY channel except the 4 networks. And there is also nothing stopping whoever his cabe provider is now from doing so. So a word of warning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:14 am

jimnms wrote:Media Portal didn't seem to support the .wtv format
I used Vista MC for five years, but migrated to MediaPortal two years ago.

I can confirm that MediaPortal does play the DVR-MS and WTV file types, but only in the "Videos" section; as far as I know, those file types are not playable in the "Recorded TV" section.

Also, MediaPortal version 1 does not show the metadata contained in the recording. For my DVR-MS files, I used a tool that extracted the metadata from the files and created the XML files that MediaPortal uses.

I believe that MediaPortal version 2 does show the metadata, but MP version 2 is a newer version that is still being developed (so incomplete in some areas). I still use MP version 1.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK