UK EPG Licence Expiring

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Scallica

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Scallica » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:59 am

rmeden wrote:FYI.. SD (and EPG123) can support the UK if your privacy laws change to allow use of a US based service and/or we get a UK lawyer to return our call with info on how to support the UK/EU!! So far we've tried to work with two different UK attorneys that specialize in the current EU Privacy mess, to no avail..

(some "Safe Harbor" protection was recently declared invalid, so we can't store any EU data (including names and email addresses) on our US based servers, and honestly, we're not sure it's worth replicating everything on UK based servers or even if we can support it from the US)
The UK voted to leave the EU. Does that mean our UK WMC friends can join the EPG123/SD party?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/23/europe/eu ... index.html
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

jelockwood

Post by jelockwood » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:44 am

Scallica wrote:
rmeden wrote:FYI.. SD (and EPG123) can support the UK if your privacy laws change to allow use of a US based service and/or we get a UK lawyer to return our call with info on how to support the UK/EU!! So far we've tried to work with two different UK attorneys that specialize in the current EU Privacy mess, to no avail..

(some "Safe Harbor" protection was recently declared invalid, so we can't store any EU data (including names and email addresses) on our US based servers, and honestly, we're not sure it's worth replicating everything on UK based servers or even if we can support it from the US)
The UK voted to leave the EU. Does that mean our UK WMC friends can join the EPG123/SD party?

The previous Safe harbour agreement was invalidated when the US government tried to illegally force Microsoft to hand over emails stored on a server located in Ireland. (This is in breach of EU data protection legislation.) A new revised agreement between the US and Europe was agreed. See http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-216_en.htm

Things then did go quiet for a while. Unfortunately the US Government has since resumed action against Microsoft and therefore once again the US Government is breaking EU data protection law. If the EU are still awake this could again lead to an invalidation of the new "Privacy Shield" agreement.

Note: The Republic of Ireland is remaining in Europe so the legal issues remain unchanged.

Frankly the US actions are verging on an act of war. They are 'invading' sovereign foreign countries to illegally seize property. The Irish government has repeatedly offered to assist the US government legally access these emails by offering to co-operate in the enforcement of a lawfully submitted request for a search warrant. Supposedly the US government has chosen not to do this for the spurious reason that such a process would take too long. The quite right and worthy of respect action by Microsoft to repeatedly appeal against such illegal steps has of course meant the illegal approach by the US government has clearly not saved any time.

See http://www.ibtimes.com/silk-road-emails ... rt-2385320

Frankly since the US Government and courts and so far judges are all acting against EU law one could argue that there is a case for the EU to issue arrest warrants against the relevant parties in the US and ask for their extradition to face EU courts.

Does anyone seriously believe the US would allow a foreign government to seize emails stored on a US server without a proper warrant being requested and served? I think not.

rmeden

Post by rmeden » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:39 am

Scallica wrote:

Yes, but it has nothing to do with Brexit. SD finally got a decision from council that as long as we make it clear we are a U.S. based company and abide by U.S. laws, it's ok to have members in the EU.

Our privacy policy has been updated and we've been accepting members from the UK and other countries since early May.

The timing was good, because the most popular source of XMLTV data in the UK decided they don't want MythTV and other non-commercial DVRs.

I don't know if EPG123 supports other countries, but at least SD isn't the bottleneck.

Robert
Schedules Direct
(among other things)

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:14 pm

Not had an update for a few days and so I'm now down to about a week of EPG.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:17 am

IT Troll wrote:Not had an update for a few days and so I'm now down to about a week of EPG.
If you're having issues with the Schedules Direct service, please open a ticket at our website. We had some problems with Channel 5 a few days ago, but there isn't anything systemic affecting only users in GBR at this time as far as I know, and you shouldn't be down to only one week of data.

jelockwood

Post by jelockwood » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:57 am

IT Troll wrote:Not had an update for a few days and so I'm now down to about a week of EPG.
Just checked mine, only a weeks data currently left from Microsoft so once again BDS are having a problem.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:04 am

rkulagow wrote:If you're having issues with the Schedules Direct service, please open a ticket at our website.
Apologies for not being clear. I was referring to the Microsoft EPG service (which is what this thread is about). I am not a user of Schedules Direct, yet...
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

mrbarty

Post by mrbarty » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:10 am

Same here. 16/07/2016 19:00:00 to be precise. :(

sjr56stn

Post by sjr56stn » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:15 pm

..and same here. With less than one week of downloaded EPG, have switched to the OTA guide.

njc

Post by njc » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:37 pm

I've created a new thread on the MS feedback site on the current lack of data:

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/2916144

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:14 pm

Thanks, voted it up. I also sent Jon from MS a PM but I don't think he visits here anymore.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:14 am

me too.

I have guide data until Saturday on terrestrial, Astra 28.2 and Astra 13.0 but 51 days worth on Astra 19.2.

Don't understand why.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:06 am

technodevotee wrote:51 days worth on Astra 19.2.
I am guessing that should read 15. Otherwise you have something very strange going on.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:58 pm

According to the info page, there are 51 days of listings available but there is only a few days left on terrestrial, Astra 28.2 and Hotbird (not Astra as previously stated) 13.0 and at least a month's worth on Astra 19.2. I haven't actually checked the actual expiry date but, suffice it to say, there is plenty to be going on with.

This is not the first time that Astra 19.2 has had a month or so's worth of listings when the others are rapidly approaching empty. I guess there must be a big difference in the way the data is supplied to Microsoft.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:21 pm

Interesting. I thought 14 days was the maximum available in advance.

jelockwood

Post by jelockwood » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:32 pm

In the UK at least and I suspect for much of Europe the EPG data is provided to Microsoft by a company called BDS (Broadcasting Data Services). They also seem to be known as Red Bee Media. They also seem to have been acquired by Ericsson although whether this is still valid I don't know.

Anyway I found the following contact details for BDS if anyone wants to try them since sadly Microsoft never seem to respond themselves.

BDS
54-58 Uxbridge Rd, London W5 2ST
Phone: 020 8280 2000

The details I find for Red Bee Media are as follows

Ericsson Broadcast and Media Services
Broadcast Centre, 201 Wood Lane, London W12 7TP
Phone: 020 8495 5000

iankb

Post by iankb » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:44 pm

Repeating a post I made on the Microsoft Connect thread ...
You can register on the Red Bee site (http://www.bds,tv) for a free non-commercial download of guide data. My account had expired and I've just re-registered. Waiting for approval before being given access to the downloads again.
I will then need to remember how to convert and import this data into MCE. Anybody wanting to stir my failing memory is welcome. ;)
Ian

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:21 am

I don't recall anyone trying previously. What format do they come in? I also just registered and they send all your personal details back to you in an email, including your password in plain text. Awesome.

kennyken

Post by kennyken » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:27 pm

:oops: EPG problem is back, this must happen what every six months or so now I guess. So what do we do just wait ?

jack_kelly

Post by jack_kelly » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:56 pm

kennyken wrote:EPG problem is back, this must happen what every six months or so now I guess. So what do we do just wait ?
I'd definitely encourage you to go to the bug report on Microsoft Connect started by njc: https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/2916144

And, crucially, do two things on the bug report:

1. upvote the bug report
2. click on "Repros: I can too" to make it clear that you are experiencing the issue.

The more upvotes and "repros" the bug report gets, the more likely it is that it will be acted upon quickly.

At least, that's the theory!