Ceton Infinitv drivers for Windows 10 with WMC

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
GlamRockCowboy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton Infinitv drivers for Windows 10 with WMC

Post by GlamRockCowboy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:32 pm

Recently, in order to get my Ceton Infinitv 4 USB to work, I downgraded from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 7 Ultimate, a copy of which I bought on eBay. Unfortunately, that copy, despite all appearances, is apparently counterfeit. While I have submitted a Counterfeit Software Report to Microsoft (they have a complimentary replacement program for such cases), I have yet to hear back from them. Finally, to prevent Windows from deactivating, I upgraded back to Windows 10 Pro. After some searching, I found an unofficial "hack" which enabled me to install Windows 8 WMC under Windows 10 Pro--and it works! The problem now is one of getting the drivers to work under Windows 10 Pro! I've tried to install both the Windows 7 and the Windows 8 beta drivers (the latter purports to resolve the USB-related problems), but with no success. I am hesitant to submit a support ticket to Ceton, since my installation of Windows 8 WMC is unofficial. However, without the drivers being installed, WMC naturally will not recognize the tuners! This is approximately the exact opposite of the problems I had just a few weeks ago! Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm so close, yet so far . . .

GlamRockCowboy

GlamRockCowboy

Post by GlamRockCowboy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:37 pm

To my bitter disappointment, Ceton has refused to offer any assistance. I was NOT aware, when I purchased this tuner, that it had been end-of-lifed, or I would never have bought it! Neither was I aware that their 6 ETH models don't require drivers in order to work. As matters now stand, I will either have to downgrade again (this time to Windows 8 or 8.1), or switch to an SD HDHomerun Prime, since SD, at least, is actively working to develop its own alternative to Windows Media Center. Unless by some miracle I can obtain a used 6 ETH model for under $100 (I'm on government disability), Ceton has lost a customer--for good!! :x

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:52 pm

Well honestly SD would not help you out either trying to get their products to work with WMC on Windows 10. Sorry to hear about your troubles, if you need WMC then you really should be on 8.1/7 anyway.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:54 pm

I'm convinced that Ceton itself is nearing end-of-life. There's not been any firmware upgrades to their tuners or Echo since late 2013 or early 2014, as I remember. They delivered a 90% finished product. My inifiniTV6 started developing problems, under warranty, and I corresponded with them for several months. Once it was out of warranty, they conceded that it was a hardware issue and offered me a refurbed unit for $130. Instead, I purchased an ETH6 (now 2) and they also have issues. I need to power cycle both every couple of days or I get problems with Live TV ( affecting recorded TV as well). I now have them automatically power cycle at 3AM. The HTPC shuts down at 2AM. I'm mostly good now but still. a couple times a week, have to power cycle and reboot. Thee Echo's I have (3) work fairly well but I occasionally have to reboot the PC to get them from locking up. The tuners and the Echo's had major issues with their hardware and/or firmware design.

They also should have furnished a consumer diagnostic program so that the user could see the health of the HTPC, tuners and Echo's, rather than have to flail at trying to see where the issue, if any, was.

And now I can't move to W10 since MS thinks we need to not watch TV anymore.

Ceton has not updated their website in a very long time. From their main page, it looks like the Echo is still a viable product until you go to the Echo page to find it has been discontinued. I suspect all the tuners are discontinued - they're just cleaning out the warehouse.

I'd go to a HomeRun Prime except they've given up on 6 channel devices, which the CableCard is capable of.

And there's nothing new on the horizon I'm aware of.

grecoder

Post by grecoder » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:46 am

mldenison wrote:I'm convinced that Ceton itself is nearing end-of-life.
And there's nothing new on the horizon I'm aware of.
I would mostly agree with you except that it seems "Ceton Media Center" has some activity as recent as Oct 2015.

I just retired one of my HTPCs when I switched from FIOS to Comcast. My wife is using the X1 Infinity DVR which is quite nice. I'm still using an HTPC for my TV and I can see how the interface is a bit clunky compared to Comcast's.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:08 am

grecoder wrote: "Ceton Media Center" has some activity as recent as Oct 2015.
What is "Ceton Media Center?"

RyC

Post by RyC » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:44 am

Probably Ceton "My Media Center" which got a face lift recently

DStr

Post by DStr » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:55 pm

Hi, I am wanting to try this firmware because I am having problems with copy protection on my system, that I shouldn't be having (probably due to the upgrades by my cable provider on their end). However, having the Cisco stuff, I am worried about the other issue.

What I am wondering is, if I try this driver, how can I go back to my old version if I am unhappy with it? I could not find a way to save my current firmware in their interface for updating, and I could not find 13.5.6.132 (my current version) on the web to download. Anyone have any ideas?

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:04 pm

The facelift was from an ex-member of Ceton staff doing us a large. There really is no Ceton as we knew it. Just the boss, Jeremy Hammer working ad hoc on a few support tickets here and there. His new company Axiim is in the same building next door to Ceton HQ. That's where he is right now trying to sell Axiim stock.

No new Ceton Media Center products. No further development on existing products.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:44 pm

If it is any consolation, I have the Ceton Infinitv USB running on Windows 10 with WMC using the beta drivers designed for Win 8 and it works just fine.

Spektre

Post by Spektre » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:43 am

With copy protected content?