Sound setup doesn't work? Straight to Troubleshooter. 5.1CH

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
wade

HTPC Specs: Show details

Sound setup doesn't work? Straight to Troubleshooter. 5.1CH

Post by wade » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:06 am

I have WMC10 v12 on two different computers now and the sound setup doesn't seem to work on either, it goes straight to the 'troubleshooter' screen and doesn't let me choose any configuration no matter what I do. My 5.1 speakers running discrete output work 100% in windows and other media players, even WMC will play 5.1 sound fine to begin with but theres a bug if I am watching a standard definition channel that only has 2CH it will kind of 'speaker fill' (even if I have speaker fill disabled in my drivers), and then if I go STRAIGHT to a 5.1 stream it will stay with the previous 2 channel with this 'speaker fill' enabled, I have to STOP the SD (2CH) stream first then start a HD (5.1CH) stream then it seems to work fine and will output 5.1 this only happens when channel surfing, swapping straight from 2CH straight to 5.1CH seems to 'break' something like it cant release the audio output from the previous setting or something.

Im asking how help because im trying to set up a HTPC for my MIL's birthday, shes kinda old and I just want to make it all 'work' perfectly and have set it up to all work with no quirks if possible. Ill go back to Win7 or 8 if need be but I've upgraded this pc to official Win10 and it would be a real shame to go back down for this one little bug.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated I have been pulling my hair out over this for days and just about given up.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg

wade

Post by wade » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:56 pm

For anyone that cares WMC on Win7 has exact same issue so I assume its just another wmc bug nothing to do with my setup or win10 itself, wish I knew before rolling it back to 7 but ah well.

webminster

Post by webminster » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:27 pm

This doesn't sound like a WMC bug, I don't have problems with Win7 and 5.1 setup.
You might check how you have Windows sound (not in WMC set), you can have issues if you set that up wrong (e.g. exclusive mode, set Windows to stereo NOT multichannel).
-Alan

spanner

Post by spanner » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:23 pm

webminster wrote:This doesn't sound like a WMC bug, I don't have problems with Win7 and 5.1 setup.
You might check how you have Windows sound (not in WMC set), you can have issues if you set that up wrong (e.g. exclusive mode, set Windows to stereo NOT multichannel).
Yes. i had trouble with this a few years back, in windows playback devises select your playback device then click configure make sure "stereo" is selected if anything else is selected you might not get your 5.1 in WMC

wade

Post by wade » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:41 am

I read the same suggestions many times, to use 2CH in windows and to disable 'exclusive control' but no matter what settings I have it does exact same thing, and it does the exact same thing on a 2nd different computer I have which made me thing it was a bug.. I did try everything I could think of including setting 2CH in windows and 5.1 in WMC ( note; That was the reason I went back to Win7 to begin with, so sound setup could work and so I could try this)

just for clarification 5.1 surround sound works... BUT It looses it when I go from a SD (OTA) TV channel STRAIGHT to a HD 'Dolby Digital' TV channel. The only way to 'regain' 5.1 is to STOP playback first then go straight onto the 'dolby' channel .. Going straight from the 2CH to 5.1 during 'surfing' something always gets broken...

I do have twin tuners (leadtek winfast DTV2000DSPlus) installed in both I wonder if that has bearing on the way it changes channels. I might try with just one tuner setup and see if it does the same thing as of right now its all I can think of.

Just letting everyone know I get exact same behavior if I set 2CH in windows then 5.1Ch in WMC, as if I set 5.1CH in windows and also 5.1 in WMC, it doesnt seem to matter what settings I have it always does this same thing and looses the surround as described, and surround works fine all other times as described. Setting exclusive control on or off has no effect at all for me. Weird weird weird.

wade

Post by wade » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:38 pm

Setting up a single tuner results in the exact same thing. I am at a loss as to why this is happening but I am pretty well over it now, thanks anyways for the help, I still really believe this is a bug but I guess I will most likely never know.

lindyds

Post by lindyds » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:44 pm

I am having the same problem when setting up WMC10v12 on my laptop. It won't enter the speaker setup, just goes to the troubleshooting screen. Does anyone have a workaround to this problem or any idea why its happening?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:47 am

I usually just click Finish, which essentially skips the troubleshooter. Sound works fine for me.

Win7 and Win8 use MSversion 6.1.7601.***
Win8.1 and Win10 use MSversion 6.3.9600.***

The MDL v11 and v12 use MSversion 6.3.9600.***
The MDL v10 and lower use MSversion 6.1.7601.*** I haven't broke it down exactly for 32 bit versions of MDL WMC but it appears all the 32 bit versions use 6.1.7601.***

When MDL was developing WMC for Win10 the Guide and DRM magically started working when they injected 6.3.9600.*** into Win10

MS removed a few features from 6.3.9600.*** One of them was the sound setup we are all familiar with in Win7 (Ding Dong). 3rd party extenders GONE. Always on top was another that got zapped. With a little extra work Xbox360 works in Win10/WMCv12 Likely v11 also.

lindyds

Post by lindyds » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:00 pm

I was concerned over nothing the Dolby Digital is getting through the HDMI to my receiver without any problem.