Media Center EPG: Rovi Guide Data Quality

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Sammy2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:18 pm

Space wrote:
DrSmith wrote:Hey, thanks a bunch Rovi! I thought I had a batch of new Pawn Stars episodes that I could binge on. They just turned out to be episodes of Vikings. Do I need to set up a season's pass for Vikings now in order to get PS shows? Of course the 2:00AM air time for a "new episode" was a clue that something was amiss.
Yeah, I had those as well (but told WMC to not record them because knew it was wrong), if the updates had not been failing for the past 3 days it probably would have been updated before airing.

Also, anticipating that this will not be fixed before the weekend, the CBS lineup for Sunday is currently starting a half hour later than it is in zap2it (at least on the East coast), so you should start recording 60 minutes/Madam Secretary/The Good Wife at 7pm and not 7:30pm.

These NEW episodes are also missing from the guide (but hopefully it will be fixed before then):

Pawn Stars (HISTORY) 3/30 10pm ET
Redneck Island (CMT) 3/31 10pm ET
Space wrote:There has been no new listings updates from Microsoft since 3/21, so that is why existing listings have not been corrected in WMC. It is not just new days listings that are not being downloaded, but also updates to existing listings.

The half hour issue is probably just that my local station indicated that they were going to start 30 minutes late, but then later changed that (and since no updates are coming in to WMC, it did not update the guide with the new schedule).
I know this post is late but aren't you using EPG123?
Last edited by Sammy2 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:26 pm

bob_p wrote:
fzy8gc wrote:FYI..."TiVo and Rovi are in talks to merge"
If that happens - will the poor Rovi data be the end of TiVo?

With WMC data no longer being updated - again - we're back to another countdown this week, waiting for Microsoft to fix the guide service (again), setting up manual recordings for all programs, migrating to EPG123 (is it ready for most of the remaining WMC users to switch over), or going to a cable/satellite DVR or TiVo. Though if Rovi buys TiVo - not sure that's going to be an attractive option, since even when WMC is working, the guide data is so bad (missed recording the finale of Black Sails on Saturday night).
rmeden wrote:I don't think Rovi cares about the Tivo product at all.. they just want the patents.. Same as DirectTV and ReplayTV.
I believe rmeden has the answer to bob_p's question!

But bob_p, what do you mean by, "is it ready for most of the remaining WMC users to switch over"? The simple answer is a resounding, "YES". I'm on v0.7.6 and it is working fine for me. I have 21 days of guide data every day. Also, v0.9.1 has a lot more functionality and other things built right in so I'll be making the switch to that version tonight.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:02 pm

Sammy2 wrote:...

Nope. Not yet, at least...

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:18 pm

Space wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:...

Nope. Not yet, at least...
Hurry up!!

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:33 pm

Sammy2 wrote:I know this post is late but aren't you using EPG123?
I'm waiting to see how the Comcast MPEG-4 H.264 broken Xbox 360 playback works out before I spend any more money on WMC. Rovi guide is still 95% correct for my uses.

fzy8gc

Post by fzy8gc » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:51 am

I received new guide information tonight through April 11th.

FYI...the MSN site no longer shows the Rovi guide...
"As of March 15, TV Listings are currently unavailable on MSN.com. We regret the inconvenience.

You can view listings on partner sites such as TVGuide.com or TV.com"

lostgreycells

Post by lostgreycells » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:32 am

fzy8gc: Actually Rovi now has its own site ( roviguide.com ) The opening screen asks for your zip code/provider, etc. so you can zero in on your specific channel lineups. If you're into facebook, twitter, etc., you can set up an account with them and create filters to display only the channels you watch. (I'm not that willing to have even more ads tailored to my tv watching habits following me everywhere so resort to zeroing in to my Comcast lineup each time I visit the site.)

cycletourist

Post by cycletourist » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:46 am

IFC HD is showing the first four of the "Tremors" movies tonight. The first one is labeled correctly. However, Rovi/WMC thinks that the next three are from the short lived TV series (2003?), so they get the TV series thumbnail, the TV cast list, no description whatsoever, and they are not labeled as a movie (at least the title is correct). [Obligatory: Zap2It, of course, has got it right.]

I believe I can correct all that metadata using EditDvrmsMetadata and pulling some switcharoos (copy original, edit the copy, delete original, move edited copy back) http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 016#p91016.

EPG123 seems inevitable.

As a side note; I am very happy to get an HD recording of the original Tremors movie. When it came to DVD and BluRay the engineer must have spilled a soft drink on the control panel, accidentally setting sharpen to max (or something like that). The edge enhancement is off the scale. The disc is a complete and total disaster - unviewable - definitely not worth buying. .... All four movies will re-air on IFC HD next Friday 4/8 (starting at 6:45 AM in Colorado).
--

Space

Post by Space » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:20 am

Interesting! I just happened to be recording "Tremors" on IFC (it's recording as I type), but did not notice that the following airings were incorrectly labeled as TV shows. I had made a note to myself to record this movie if I had ever seen it in the listings, but did not know about the sequels, are they worth watching?

I have seen this same issue with "A Nightmare On Elm Street" and the sequels on IFC in the past, where all but the first were marked as TV shows with the episode title being the sub-titles of the movies. So this is not a one-time occurrence. Reference: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 706#p97706

As for editing the metadata, there is no need to copy or delete anything, and besides, the procedure you linked to did not work for me.

Just follow the steps in this post:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 062#p98062

cycletourist

Post by cycletourist » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:49 am

Space wrote:Interesting! I just happened to be recording "Tremors" on IFC (it's recording as I type)
It's a keeper.
Space wrote:did not know about the sequels, are they worth watching?
I think so. The loss of Kevin Bacon brings the second one down a notch (more of the B quality) - but Fred Ward is still there and Bert Gummer starts taking his place as the lead in this "franchise ." I do not remember the third one as much, but it is more like the first and is back in the town of Perfection - oh - the Worms show a new state in their life cycle creating even more of their unique, twisted B-movie humor. The fourth is one of my favorites - as likeable as the first. It takes place in the past and is sort of a change up. Highly recommended. I have seen the fifth edition and I enjoyed it, too. They take the story (with Bert Gummer/Michael Gross) to South Africa. More like the second - more of the "plain B movie-ness."

If you like the first (and Bert Gummer, in particular), all of the followups are worth seeing, and in my case - the fourth - "The Legend Begins" in particular.
Space wrote:As for editing the metadata, there is no need to copy or delete anything, and besides, the procedure you linked to did not work for me.

Thanks for the pointer. I'm interested to see what works for me. Cosmic Laziness principle and all .... I'll get to it when I need to. And very glad I have good instructions.

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:23 pm

cycletourist wrote:
Space wrote:Interesting! I just happened to be recording "Tremors" on IFC (it's recording as I type)
It's a keeper.
Space wrote:did not know about the sequels, are they worth watching?
I think so. The loss of Kevin Bacon brings the second one down a notch (more of the B quality) - but Fred Ward is still there and Bert Gummer starts taking his place as the lead in this "franchise ." I do not remember the third one as much, but it is more like the first and is back in the town of Perfection - oh - the Worms show a new state in their life cycle creating even more of their unique, twisted B-movie humor. The fourth is one of my favorites - as likeable as the first. It takes place in the past and is sort of a change up. Highly recommended. I have seen the fifth edition and I enjoyed it, too. They take the story (with Bert Gummer/Michael Gross) to South Africa. More like the second - more of the "plain B movie-ness."

If you like the first (and Bert Gummer, in particular), all of the followups are worth seeing, and in my case - the fourth - "The Legend Begins" in particular.
Space wrote:As for editing the metadata, there is no need to copy or delete anything, and besides, the procedure you linked to did not work for me.

Thanks for the pointer. I'm interested to see what works for me. Cosmic Laziness principle and all .... I'll get to it when I need to. And very glad I have good instructions.
I agree, 1, 2, and 4 are my favorites. 5 was surprisingly good for a DTV.

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:46 pm

I am 1 hour 15 minutes away from no guide data.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:39 am

I don’t know if this is a Rovi issue or not. But on Monday, March 28, 2016, all four of my OTA scheduled recordings did not record. I didn’t notice this immediately because we didn’t watch a lot of TV last week.

I check my recording schedule every weekend for the following week to make sure everything is proper & I have these 4 programs checked off as all set to record. That would have been Saturday or Sunday, only 1-2 days before the Monday broadcasts.

Is it possible Rovi changed the EPG at the last minute to indicate these were reruns & therefore got kicked out of the recording schedule?

1) There is nothing in the History one way or the other about these programs.

2) All the programs for the rest of the week were recorded.

3) Is there any place in the Event Viewer that might show something?

Any suggestions would be most welcome,
Thanks

Alan G

Post by Alan G » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:02 pm

lostgreycells wrote:fzy8gc: Actually Rovi now has its own site ( roviguide.com ) The opening screen asks for your zip code/provider, etc. so you can zero in on your specific channel lineups. If you're into facebook, twitter, etc., you can set up an account with them and create filters to display only the channels you watch. (I'm not that willing to have even more ads tailored to my tv watching habits following me everywhere so resort to zeroing in to my Comcast lineup each time I visit the site.)
this is useless if you have Verizon FIOS in the Metro DC area. The only guide that is shown is the Xfinity (Comcast) guide and there is no equivalence in the channels. I've already posted to MSFT Connect and directly to Rovi about the missing information for BeIN Sports (channel switch a couple of months ago) and FS2 which has never been listed for the HD channel. Heard nothing from MSFT Connect (didn't expect to) and got an automated response from Rovi that someone would contact me (they haven't). There is something to be said for Verizon in terms of providing accurate information on the cable box; they get it that the customer comes first. I know MSFT could care less about WMC and it looks like Rove doesn't either. Too bad for the DIY crowd that wants to save some money.

Space

Post by Space » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:36 pm

The first zip code I tried on roviguide.com for DC (20001) had FiOS and included BeIN and FS2 HD, so not sure why you call it useless. Just use a zip code from around your area to find one that has the same FiOS lineup as yours.

Rovi should also be able to add it for you if you are willing to wait a bit, they usually respond fairly quickly to changes to the lineup, so I would assume adding new lineups to zip codes should have a similar response (but have no experience with that, so maybe not).

As far as I know, Verizon still uses Gracenote as their guide supplier, so it is to their advantage to supply timely updates to Gracenote so that their guide is correct and updated.

fzy8gc

Post by fzy8gc » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:26 pm

I have two WMC systems. I decided it was time to get experience with another guide system before it was too late. I converted my system that uses HDHomeRun dual turner (Sarasota OTA) and an ATI analog turner (Hotwire Communications Cable). I used a combination of EPG123, Schedules Direct, and Guide Tool to make it happen.

Here is the process I followed:
In WMC I performed the "Set Up TV Signal" as EPG123 documented on its web site.
Using EPG123, I selected the 2 lineups (Sarasota OTA and Hotwire Communications Cascades Cable) and selected "All" channels for both lineups. I chose to receive 14 days of guide information.
I opened WMC and the Guide Tool and deleted all the ClearQAM channels in the Hotwire Communications listing that were causing me problems. I also deleted all the non-functioning channels as well.
I closed Guide Tool and in WMC I added all the digital channels I commonly use; e.g. 3.1, 8.1, 10.1, 13.1, 40.1 and 44.1
I opened Guide Tool again and subscribed the services to the digital channels by Call Sign; e.g. 3.1 => WEDUDT

Note: The ClearQAM channels were interfering with the OTA digital channel when the lineups were setup. The ClearQAM and Digital OTA channels both had the same call signs.

I checked this morning and the integrity of the EPG123/Schedules Direct guide has held. The Guide goes through April 19th in contrast with my Rovi system in which the guide goes through April 12th.

I should also note that Schedules Direct cost $25 a year to receive its data.

Alan G

Post by Alan G » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:11 pm

Space wrote:The first zip code I tried on roviguide.com for DC (20001) had FiOS and included BeIN and FS2 HD, so not sure why you call it useless. Just use a zip code from around your area to find one that has the same FiOS lineup as yours.

Rovi should also be able to add it for you if you are willing to wait a bit, they usually respond fairly quickly to changes to the lineup, so I would assume adding new lineups to zip codes should have a similar response (but have no experience with that, so maybe not).

As far as I know, Verizon still uses Gracenote as their guide supplier, so it is to their advantage to supply timely updates to Gracenote so that their guide is correct and updated.
Thanks! I did pull up the Rovi FIOS guide from their website and that shows the correct channel assignments. However, they still have not translated this to the WMC guide that gets downloaded. As I noted, I sent a message through the Rovi website three weeks ago but all that shows up on the channel guide is "message channel programming" rather than FS2 or BeIN sports. Is there another way to contact Rovi?

These are the only unassigned channels that I care about. Everything else about the Rovi guide is fine.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:20 pm

You can send an email to ipgcustomersupport@rovicorp.com

If their web site is correct, then it should be reflected in WMC within a couple days afterwards. Microsoft has had a problem for the past 7 days with the guide not updating, so that may be your problem. This issue was just fixed yesterday, so if you do another guide download on WMC today it may fix your problem.

Windom

Post by Windom » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:52 am

Tonight's new episode of "Finding Bigfoot" on Animal Planet did not record for me. It seems it is now listed as "Finding Bigfoot + Aftershows" even though Zap2it still has it as "Finding Bigfoot".

Luckily, it's showing again later tonight. What if I had missed it and it ended up being the episode where they actually find Bigfoot?

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:00 am

Windom wrote:What if I had missed it and it ended up being the episode where they actually find Bigfoot?
Then the name of the show would have changed to "Catching Bigfoot". :)