Youtube TV in WMC ?

DavidinCT

HTPC Specs: Show details

Youtube TV in WMC ?

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:10 pm

Hey all,

I know there is a http://www.youtube.com/tv site that will work with a remote. From what I have seen it works pretty well. If you try to go to it on a PC you will get an error of "You tube TV is not supported on this device" (even with Re-launch)

Anyone find a work-a-round to get it in WMC ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:39 pm

Works for me in Chrome on a PC.

Try this URL:

https://www.youtube.com/tv#/browse-sets ... ult&resume

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:59 pm

DavidinCT wrote:Hey all,

I know there is a http://www.youtube.com/tv site that will work with a remote. From what I have seen it works pretty well. If you try to go to it on a PC you will get an error of "You tube TV is not supported on this device" (even with Re-launch)

Anyone find a work-a-round to get it in WMC ?
Pretty sure it only works in Chrome.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:55 pm

mdavej wrote:Works for me in Chrome on a PC.

Try this URL:

https://www.youtube.com/tv#/browse-sets ... ult&resume
Interesting. I tried this on Windows 10 with IE 11 (not Edge) and it worked PERFECT but, in Windows 7, it gives me the same error "You tube TV is not supported on this device"". If I set YouTube.com to compatibly mode in IE, it just shows a full Red screen with a white youtube logo.

I assume you can use Chrome or Firefox (it worked in firefox in WIndows 10 too) with ReLaunch ?

Not a big Chrome fan so if Firefox would work, I would install that on my HTPC...

Edit: Tried firefox, failure, Tried Chrome, worked perfect, sweet. When I run it the mouse curser sits in the middle of the screen, any way to disable it just for that session ?

And after running it once, a little popup Chrome didn't close properly... any way to hide that ?
Last edited by DavidinCT on Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:41 pm

Cool. Unfortunately I don't know what to do about the cursor.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:52 am

To hide the mouse cursor you can use this...
http://www.softwareok.com/?Download=AutoHideMouseCursor
Keep in mind that if you use this you will need to disable it if you use STEAM on that same PC. You will run into conflicts with Games if you leave it enabled using STEAM.

To get rid of the "Chrome did not close successfully bar" at the top ..

From the Desktop launch Chrome. Clear the drop down box that says it didn't close properly.

Close Chrome.

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to %LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
Find the Preferences file, Right click it and select properties. Under Attributes check mark the box Read-only, click Apply, then OK.
All Login's etc. used in chrome (You-Tube Log-in with Relaunch etc.) must be done prior to setting the preference file "read only".

If you still get the bar after setting preferences file to "read only" then reset the preferences file so it is no longer read only.. then do the next step below..

Launch Chrome > type About:Flags in the address bar and scroll through the list until you find better session restore and disable it. Then set the preferences file in %LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default to read only again.

The last time I did this I only had to set the preference file to read only to get rid of the "chrome did not close properly" bar with the latest version of chrome installed.
HTH,
newfiend~

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:23 am

newfiend wrote:To hide the mouse cursor you can use this...
Keep in mind that if you use this you will need to disable it if you use STEAM on that same PC. You will run into conflicts with Games if you leave it enabled using STEAM.

From the Desktop launch Chrome. Clear the drop down box that says it didn't close properly.

Close Chrome.

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to %LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
Find the Preferences file, Right click it and select properties. Under Attributes check mark the box Read-only, click Apply, then OK.
All Login's etc. used in chrome (You-Tube Log-in with Relaunch etc.) must be done prior to setting the preference file "read only".

If you still get the bar after setting preferences file to "read only" then reset the preferences file so it is no longer read only.. then do the next step below..

Launch Chrome > type About:Flags in the address bar and scroll through the list until you find better session restore and disable it. Then set the preferences file in %LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default to read only again.

The last time I did this I only had to set the preference file to read only to get rid of the "chrome did not close properly" bar with the latest version of chrome installed.
HTH,
newfiend~
Thanks Bro, I'll give this a shot tonight, I see where your going with it, Just didn't really use Chrome that much (Ya know that Google taking over the world thing... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfV6RzE30 )
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:57 pm

Ya I use chrome for YouTube in wmc.. That's all. In fact after awhile I just removed that too.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:32 pm

I never updated this. This works AWESOME. I have Youtube built into my 4k TV and it's the same thing. So I used Relaunch to set it up, it's fast and easy to use. I would only wish that all the transport keys worked in it but, it's easy enough to get around to deal with.

Now if there was any other streaming websites that were designed for a TV that would work like this it would give me more options for streaming sources....

Thanks again for the ideas to try to get this working...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:03 pm

Glad this worked out for you. I have to give props for this solution where there due.. Staknhalo helped me with this a year or so back when I wanted to add YouTube to WMC. He's the one who taught me about auto hide cursor and setting the preference file "read only". Ed's a damn smart guy. :thumbup:
newfiend~

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:10 pm

Any of you guys ever use WebM to upgrade older IE browsers, (within Win7), and eliminate the need for Chrome. I don't remember exactly why I installed this. (many projects ago) I might have installed it so my older browsers could watch Live TV from Emby without installing the Emby Client.

http://www.webmproject.org/users/

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:51 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Any of you guys ever use WebM to upgrade older IE browsers, (within Win7), and eliminate the need for Chrome. I don't remember exactly why I installed this. (many projects ago) I might have installed it so my older browsers could watch Live TV from Emby without installing the Emby Client.

http://www.webmproject.org/users/
I installed it when I used Emby.. I think (and it's been awhile now) that when I tinkered with EmbyTV it was a requirement at one point... tbh I don't remember why exactly.
newfiend~

Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:09 am

For the most part, I end up just downloading the video with Pale Moon and the FlashGot extension. Then I can do things that Google's sites won't allow—like fast forwarding and rewind. Plus, it never needs to pause for buffering.
Will Pittenger

JackLuminous

Post by JackLuminous » Fri May 06, 2016 1:41 am

Looks just...like..the YouTube app on Xbox..

jbamford92

Post by jbamford92 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:57 am

I'm using a program called Relauch and YouTube TV works perfectly fine even the remote works. FYI I'm using Windows 7 Media Center not 8 or 10.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:41 pm

jbamford92 wrote:I'm using a program called Relauch and YouTube TV works perfectly fine even the remote works. FYI I'm using Windows 7 Media Center not 8 or 10.
Same here, been using it on WIndows 7 WMC..... Anyway about it, if your looking for a machine OS for WMC...Windows 7 is the best one...

My primary HTPC is on 7....I have a dual boot setup and I tried 8.1 and 10....Still using 7 all the time...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jbamford92

Post by jbamford92 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:26 am

DavidinCT wrote:
jbamford92 wrote:I'm using a program called Relauch and YouTube TV works perfectly fine even the remote works. FYI I'm using Windows 7 Media Center not 8 or 10.
Same here, been using it on WIndows 7 WMC..... Anyway about it, if your looking for a machine OS for WMC...Windows 7 is the best one...

My primary HTPC is on 7....I have a dual boot setup and I tried 8.1 and 10....Still using 7 all the time...
I generally think Windows 7 is the best one for a HTPC. Everything works but one thing doesn't is the Guide Listings until you select the channel.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:49 pm

jbamford92 wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:

I generally think Windows 7 is the best one for a HTPC. Everything works but one thing doesn't is the Guide Listings until you select the channel.
Just remember, Windows Media Center (the version we are using on 7/8/ or hacked on 10) WAS designed around Windows 7. In WMC's big days, it was being updated all the time and all 3rd party hardware was tested on 7. When they went to 8.1, they "patched it" to work on 8.1 in the processes they removed some features on it, so it just proves more and more, if you want WMC 7 is your OS.

If your building a WMC machine.... unless you NEED a feature from 8.1...you should stick with Windows 7..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

ThunderboltsRock

Post by ThunderboltsRock » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:28 am

Wincast cast addin for WMC works and also allows you to send youtube selection from you phone to your tv, pause etc from phone but hasn't been supported for sometime and seems to work intermittently

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:47 pm

newfiend wrote:To hide the mouse cursor you can use this...

Close Chrome.

HTH,
newfiend~
Ran into a new issue on this, this just started a week ago.... (I use a LOT of YouTube), it now always has a line across the top "Chrome is not the default browser" with a button to change it. I DONT want Chrome as my default browser. Going in settings in Chrome only gives an option to set it as default, no option to stop checking if it's the default.

Anyone run into a way to disable this message ? There is a way through the command lime to do no default browser check but, I setup this with ReLaunch, any way to edit the file it created so it runs with the switch to disable the check ?

Its' really annoying and with the restrictions I set on chrome, I ONLY want it to be used for YoutubeTV (and it works perfect besides this)

Anyone know where I can edit the MCL so I can add the "-no-default-browser-check" or the "-disable-infobars" to Chrome so I can disable this ?

Note, I also want the...Hit the green button to close chrome and go back to WMC...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave