Guide Data Running Out - Spring 2016 DST

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
jimnms

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by jimnms » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:43 pm

Ladislaus wrote:Typically, Microsoft has the guide data DST issue resolved by the Monday after the transition. (That's why I haven't raised too much of a ruckus this time around.) That said, if they don't have new data by Wednesday morning, we're all going to be scrambling to get EPG123 installed and configured before our guide data runs out. (Someone may want to give garyan2 a heads up to get a good stable release published for this inevitable scramble, should MS drop the ball completely.)
I really hope it's not necessary to use EPG123, unless there is an easier way to get it running without re-installing WMC. Re-installing and setting up WMC will take a whole day for me. WMC never detects my channels, so I have to use the program from my TV tuner to get the channel frequencies and manually input every one of them into WMC and connect them to the proper guide listing.

With the deadline for the free upgrade to Win10 approaching, I've been meaning to look at WMC alternatives so I can upgrade my media center PC. I have bookmarked several, but have not had the time to try them out. Now might be the time to get moving on finding an alternative.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:54 pm

Think of all the time (=money) wasted by all the people trying to figure out why their guide isn't updating, worrying about how to fix it, alternatives, etc.

It would probably take very little effort for Microsoft to fix the issue that is causing this twice yearly problem, but they just choose not to do it. It is not important to them. Set a reminder for themselves twice a year to at least let people know they are aware and working on the issue to alleviate fear.

Is this done on purpose to get people to flee WMC? If so, they are devious and do not deserve anyone's future support. Why would anyone get an Xbox One DVR knowing the kind of service they can expect when Microsoft gets bored with it?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:28 pm

jimnms wrote:
Ladislaus wrote:Typically, Microsoft has the guide data DST issue resolved by the Monday after the transition. (That's why I haven't raised too much of a ruckus this time around.) That said, if they don't have new data by Wednesday morning, we're all going to be scrambling to get EPG123 installed and configured before our guide data runs out. (Someone may want to give garyan2 a heads up to get a good stable release published for this inevitable scramble, should MS drop the ball completely.)
I really hope it's not necessary to use EPG123, unless there is an easier way to get it running without re-installing WMC. Re-installing and setting up WMC will take a whole day for me. WMC never detects my channels, so I have to use the program from my TV tuner to get the channel frequencies and manually input every one of them into WMC and connect them to the proper guide listing.

With the deadline for the free upgrade to Win10 approaching, I've been meaning to look at WMC alternatives so I can upgrade my media center PC. I have bookmarked several, but have not had the time to try them out. Now might be the time to get moving on finding an alternative.
If you have CCI Copy Protection, there's exactly zero other alternatives for TV on a PC.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:56 pm

TV on a PC, yes.

Tivo with its media streamers is an option.

jimnms

Post by jimnms » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:14 pm

Sammy2 wrote:If you have CCI Copy Protection, there's exactly zero other alternatives for TV on a PC.
There is no DRM on the cable I have. I just have basic cable which also has a few ClearQAM HD channels. I've also been considering ditching cable completely. I don't watch a lot of TV, but they recently dropped one of the channels I watch which had about half of the total shows I really liked. There are only 6 channels that have shows I watch, 5 now that they dropped one. One of which puts their shows on the internet for free (with ads) and two I can get OTA, so that means I'm now paying for 2 channels. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime, so I could just cut the cord and wait for the shows I like to make it to one of the streaming services.

GBBevo

Post by GBBevo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:47 pm

adam1991 wrote:this is happening to everyone, and it's a regular occurrence around the time of DST switch.

If things aren't worked out by Tuesday morning, then I'll panic. Until then it's business as usual.
Thanks. Good to know. When you say "If things aren't worked out by Tuesday morning, then I'll panic", if you don't mind me asking, do you have anything specific in mind? :problem:

Gary

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:03 pm

has anyone got a response from Rovi?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:10 pm

not yet.

If things aren't fixed by tomorrow morning, I'm going to start worrying.

If things aren't fixed by Wednesday morning, I'll order a Tivo.

If things aren't fixed by Thursday morning, I'll spend Thursday evening setting up the Tivo.

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:14 pm

I have recently, in the past two weeks noticed that the guide data is just plain wrong for many channels. AMC doesn't even list the walking dead, SCI channel all wrong for most nights. erratic premium channel listings all wrong. I have been up and running with Rovi since September last year without any issues. Suddenly the past two weeks have been just plain awful.

Has anyone else experienced this or is my setup just hosed?

[Moderator note: topic merged]
EDIT: Thanks for moving this - I missed this thread ...
Last edited by Skybolt on Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:28 pm

Usually about this time someone will claim they talked to their "source" at MS and it'll all be fixed by tomorrow. Then the board will fill with a bunch of thanks to the person.

Anyway - I see so many posts about "Why don't they fix this problem" when in reality MS should just send out an official "Yeah, we have this problem every year and yeah the program we have that cleans everything up will run again the day after DST and everything will be fine". Maybe we should just post that MS did send out an official announcement, pin it to the board, and refer every DST problem back to the pinned announcement.

Of course as I write this in the back of my mind I'm thinking "What if it isn't fixed...."

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:34 pm

dkrom wrote:Of course as I write this in the back of my mind I'm thinking "What if it isn't fixed...."
This:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/wiki/index ... tle=EPG123
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:41 pm

Sammy2 wrote:... If you have CCI Copy Protection, there's exactly zero other alternatives for TV on a PC.
Yeah, I think WMC has finally come to an end. What's your next move Sammy? I am going to move to Tivo I guess, there are really no options out there. Maybe direct TV genie? who knows, but my guide ends Friday ...

fzy8gc

Post by fzy8gc » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:46 pm

Scallica wrote:
dkrom wrote:Of course as I write this in the back of my mind I'm thinking "What if it isn't fixed...."
This:

I use a Colossus card to control a Dish Network 211K set top box. Hauppauge provides drivers for WMC 7. Will EPG123 get Dish Network guide information? Is there a different process to use the Colossus card?

rickmktg

Post by rickmktg » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:09 pm

Spent well over 2 hours over the weekend trying to figure this out, then found this. Amazing that it happens every year, I don't recall noticing that in prior years.
Moved to W10 and NPVR in December 2019. Bye.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:10 pm

Scallica wrote:
This:

Um, no.

This:

https://www.tivo.com/

Seriously. I'm tired of continually bandaging what's turning into a hemorrhaging wound.

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:16 pm

adam1991 wrote:... Seriously. I'm tired of continually bandaging what's turning into a hemorrhaging wound.
I agree with you 100%, the only question is Genie or Romeo ?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:22 pm

Can't be Genie. I'm off the pay TV train.

I'm dreadfully sorry now for not snapping up one of the Roamio deals a few months ago. $600 and my entire house would have been outfitted.

I don't like the Bolt, and I'm aware that they're coming out with a new higher end model next. That's stopping me from pulling the trigger right now.

I'm still hanging on to commercial skip, though; after all these years of Replay and WMC doing it for me, I have a hard time giving that up. And no, Bolt doesn't count.

dahef

Post by dahef » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:26 pm

My "search by actor" library has also shrunk. Most actors not available through search. Not sure if related to guide listing problem or not.

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:30 pm

adam1991 wrote: ... I don't like the Bolt, and I'm aware that they're coming out with a new higher end model next. That's stopping me from pulling the trigger right now. ...
Yeah, agree. The romeo is the only way to go, the next gen sounds like the perfect next step. I am just torn between Tivo and DTv, I already have a D-Tv account, but it only gets used 6mnths a yr. I might go to that until the next gen tive appears.

nanat

Post by nanat » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:57 pm

glad I found this post/string before I spent too much more time trying to figure out why my guide ends 3/19 in spite of repeated attempts to update... ZIP 92064. OTA TV. Sure "hope" its fixed / resolved before the 19th! After one attempt, got a message that update failed and to check WMC Log but haven't a clue where to find that!