Windows Media Center stuttering on PC and extender

zachavm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows Media Center stuttering on PC and extender

Post by zachavm » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:05 pm

I've been dealing with windows media center Video stuttering for a long time (video only not audio). I've searched and it seems everyone's solution is a bit different. Consequently, I'd just like some expert help. I used to think it was an issue with my lack of a good graphics card. Not anymore as I recently updated it. Here's my system.

Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Core i5-3550 3.3GHz
16GB Ram
256GB Crucial SSD
3x WD Red 2TB HDD in Raid 5 (recordings stored here)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 760
Windows Experience Index = 7.5

I like to connect to my Xbox as an extender, but I see the problem on both my extender and my computer. Also, the problem persists even when I size the window down small.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:44 pm

Which one of your 4 drives does WMC record to?

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:40 pm

What tuner(s) are you using? Low signal strength (although I would think audio would be affected if so)?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:55 pm

I would check the health of all of your drives. If you are recording to the array, try recording to the C: drive as a test.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

zachavm

Post by zachavm » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:37 pm

smcmillan2 wrote:What tuner(s) are you using? Low signal strength (although I would think audio would be affected if so)?
I'm using an HD Homerun with two tuners built into it. It feeds over the network.
Crash2009 wrote:Which one of your 4 drives does WMC record to?
WMC is recording to the raid at the moment (drive D, the 3 HDD in a RAID configuration).
Scallica wrote:I would check the health of all of your drives. If you are recording to the array, try recording to the C: drive as a test.
I might give recording to the SSD (C Drive) a try. However, I hope there would be a resolution if that is the problem as I don't want to have to record to a smaller drive. That is one reason I have the large array.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

zachavm

Post by zachavm » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:48 pm

Well, I went in to settings and switched to the C drive. Then I reset WMC. No change. I also started up HD Homerun software and used it's quickTV feature to tune to live TV. No issues with stuttering so it has to be a WMC issue somewhere.

Is there some type of Video card setting I could be missing?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:29 pm

zachavm wrote:Well, I went in to settings and switched to the C drive. Then I reset WMC. No change. I also started up HD Homerun software and used it's quickTV feature to tune to live TV. No issues with stuttering so it has to be a WMC issue somewhere.

Is there some type of Video card setting I could be missing?
I guess it isn't a hard drive problem.

Run WMC's debug and look for evidence of the 29/59 issue.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 708#p78708

If evident, try different drivers for your 780. A few of the guys here have been liking the WHQL 344.11

There are also some different settings you can try in this post.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 397#p80397

hokie21

Post by hokie21 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:38 pm

Leave process explorer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96653.aspx running with the CPU graph window open. When you see the problem, go back and take a look at the graph and see if the CPU was at 100% at the time the problem occurred. Use the mouse to select the peak of the 100% and see which programs were using lots of CPU at the time. My stuttering problem is due to CPU being maxed out.

shooter71

Post by shooter71 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:41 am

Did you ever find a resolution to your stuttering problem? I have dealt with the same issues a for a number of years. My PC is getting on the older side now, and I was looking to upgrade to see if that would eventually resolve my issues. However, looking at the PC you purchased, I am a little less confident that a new PC would resolve my similar problem

Mystic95Z

Post by Mystic95Z » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:20 pm

Back when I built my HTPC, I originally used the GPU on the 7850K and had stuttering problems with video, I solved it by getting a el cheapo nVidia GT610 and am running an old driver on it as well.

shooter71

Post by shooter71 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:20 am

Mystic95Z wrote:Back when I built my HTPC, I originally used the GPU on the 7850K and had stuttering problems with video, I solved it by getting a el cheapo nVidia GT610 and am running an old driver on it as well.
If I am to understand it correctly, you resolved you stuttering issues with a new video card? If that is correct, did you have stuttering on the PC / monitor itself, or just when you were streaming? I don't have stuttering when playing video on my PC, but I do when I am streaming via my xBox and WMC Extender.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:56 am

shooter71 wrote:
Mystic95Z wrote:Back when I built my HTPC, I originally used the GPU on the 7850K and had stuttering problems with video, I solved it by getting a el cheapo nVidia GT610 and am running an old driver on it as well.
If I am to understand it correctly, you resolved you stuttering issues with a new video card? If that is correct, did you have stuttering on the PC / monitor itself, or just when you were streaming? I don't have stuttering when playing video on my PC, but I do when I am streaming via my xBox and WMC Extender.
Stuttering can also be caused by your NIC. Realtek especially. Try the drivers from the manufacturer of your NIC.

Mystic95Z

Post by Mystic95Z » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:39 am

shooter71 wrote:
I had stuttering watching video on the TV connected to the WMC PC, at that point I had not connected a extender yet.