Merge channels in guide?

chrisgnv

HTPC Specs: Show details

Merge channels in guide?

Post by chrisgnv » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:26 am

How can I merge duplicate channels in the guide? With an HDHR prime and an HDHR connect, and the prime showing broadcast channels on lower order and higher order channels, some have 3 listings. I have the guide tool and used the merge function based on subscribed guide but the result wasn't what I expected. I still have multiple listings for the same channel. Yes, they're different cable channel numbers but they're all the same broadcast station.

If some were SD and some were HD, I understand why you might want them distinct. I just suppress the SD, if I have HD for the same channel.

I'm thinking what I want to do is possible but I'm just not doing it right.

Thanks for your assistance.

Chris

soccer4270

Post by soccer4270 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:44 am

I believe you can hide channels by going into edit channel. Right clicking on the channel of interest should give you the options your looking for.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:15 am

I merged a few channels some time back but don't recall exactly how I did it. I Googled & found this which sort of seems familiar. Maybe it will help you.
http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index. ... l-merging/

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:23 pm

chrisgnv wrote:How can I merge duplicate channels in the guide? With an HDHR prime and an HDHR connect, and the prime showing broadcast channels on lower order and higher order channels, some have 3 listings. I have the guide tool and used the merge function based on subscribed guide but the result wasn't what I expected. I still have multiple listings for the same channel. Yes, they're different cable channel numbers but they're all the same broadcast station.

If some were SD and some were HD, I understand why you might want them distinct. I just suppress the SD, if I have HD for the same channel.

I'm thinking what I want to do is possible but I'm just not doing it right.

Thanks for your assistance.

Chris
In my case, I prefer the channels to show up in their OTA channel (Local channels). For example Channel 8.1 in my area is 1008 on cable, also 3.1 is 1003, etc. All the SD channels are under 100.

What I do, is I disable all the SD channels that I have in HD. Then I go into the guide tool renumber the channels to take 1008 and change to 8.1 etc.

If your want to MERGE channels, go into one of the channels you want to set, I believe it's change the listing on the channel, WMC will prompt you and as what you want to do. One is to mege the channels in 1 channel number into one channel and remove the old one from the guide or the other is COPY the listings and have both channels show in the guide. It does prompt you for this.

I forget the whole process, it's been a while but, it does ask you what you want to do when you get to that point.

If you just have extras of the same channel in the guide why not just disable them ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012