Introducing EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Sammy2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:45 pm

Another question has come to mind..

Is this compatible with MCL XL?

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:55 pm

Yes to compatibility with mcl, there are just a couple checkboxes to clear in the gui.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 20#p102420

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:06 pm

Embiggens wrote:Yes to compatibility with mcl, there are just a couple checkboxes to clear in the gui.

I'm unclear which check boxes that is referring to. Also, what about the guide size/scaling features of MCL XL? Do those still work?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:09 pm

Scallica wrote:
garyan2 wrote:With the help of some generous folks here, I have set up a website for epg123 to be the central point for updates and guides. Make it a little easier than for everyone to keep up to date. So I'm just going to leave this here and see you all tomorrow!
http://epg123.garyan2.net
I added the URL to the first post of this thread and wiki page.
Kudos to TGB for moving this along!! THANKS!!

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:18 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
Embiggens wrote:Yes to compatibility with mcl, there are just a couple checkboxes to clear in the gui.

I'm unclear which check boxes that is referring to. Also, what about the guide size/scaling features of MCL XL? Do those still work?
See my post above that link- it will be obvious, you clear the 2 checkboxes that refer to logos. Size/scaling still seem to work well.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:21 pm

Sammy2 wrote:

When you run EPG123 in configure mode. By default they are unchecked.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

glorp

Post by glorp » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:47 pm

garyan2 wrote:
glorp wrote:Basically good news all around. My EPG123 scheduled task ran and completed normally off EPG123 v0.7.1. A new days' data was added to schedule from Mar 12->Mar 13. I captured a trace log but everything worked properly so no need to send it unless you want to see it.
No need to see it. I was actually hoping it would reveal the reason for failing the last couple days with the probable timeout.
My daily schedule updates are running fine now so far. Thanks for all that support.

Might I make a suggestion? Take it for what it is: a suggestion. You and others may not agree:
The GUI really should come up when run from Windows Explorer rather than requiring a command line execution with the -config option. EPG123's current startup mode has caused me to inadvertently run an unwanted schedule update twice now because I forget that I need to drop to the command line and instead double-click on the program when I want the GUI. I created a shortcut with the -config option to avoid that but still, it would be much better if an update run required a command line option to initiate and the GUI config was the default mode. Most of us ultimately will run it from a scheduled task where that option would be easy to add. Even if I want an update but start from Explorer the only "bad" is the GUI starts instead and would remind me that I need to run CL using an "-update" option.

Also, when I first set up/ran the app I checked the box to get logos from SD. I don't like them and would like to return to call signs in the guide. I unchecked the box in the GUI some days ago but still have logos in the guide. What has to be done to remove them and revert?

Nice start on a web site.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:02 pm

glorp wrote:The GUI really should come up when run from Windows Explorer rather than requiring a command line execution with the -config option. EPG123's current startup mode has caused me to inadvertently run an unwanted schedule update twice now because I forget that I need to drop to the command line and instead double-click on the program when I want the GUI. I created a shortcut with the -config option to avoid that but still, it would be much better if an update run required a command line option to initiate and the GUI config was the default mode. Most of us ultimately will run it from a scheduled task where that option would be easy to add. Even if I want an update but start from Explorer the only "bad" is the GUI starts instead and would remind me that I need to run CL using an "-update" option.
I agree.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

HTBruceM

Post by HTBruceM » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:00 pm

Here are some things that I learned regarding clear QAM channels and EPG123. I thought other folks might benefit from this as well. The steps below have worked for me but I haven't tried lots of other methods, so YMMV.

If you have lots of tuners, remember to run Tuner Salad after step 0 of EPG123 setup so that you have all your tuners available and visible in WMC.

If you have both clear QAM and cable card tuners in your setup, you probably want to merge tuners on your clear QAM channels. This allows you to have WMC select from all your available tuners for a given clear QAM channel, using just the simple cablecard channel number. Similar thing may be desired for merging OTA ATSC tuners with cable card channels but I don't have that scenario so I cannot comment on it. In my case I want to merge channels so that the clear QAM tuner can be used on the remapped cablecard channel numbers. This has always been the case, even without EPG123. BUT... I have noticed that when you merge channels using Guide Tool, it will sometimes remove the station call sign. This wasn't a big problem before using EPG123 because you could always just resubscribe to the lineup/channel on the right side to restore the station call sign. But when you're going the EPG123 route, you cannot do that because there isn't any channel lineup on the right side in GT. Simply manually adding in the call sign in GT didn't work for me. However it looks as if running a SYNC with Lineup Selector will repair all the missing call signs. So go ahead and do all your channel merges in GT (ignoring the lost call signs). Then rerun Lineup Selector again. When you do the sync in Lineup Selector it will log all the channels it synced and you can scroll through the dialog window and see that it has restored the station call signs for you. You may have to exit and restart WMC to get the guide data back on your merged channels because it may say "no information available" in the guide. So, to summarize... Whenever you need to merge channels, you will have to
1) Run Guide Tool (to do all your channel merges)
2) Run Lineup Selector (to resynch the channels to the guide data)
3) (optional) end/restart WMC.
4) In WMC with the guide visible, right click on each merged channel, EDIT CHANNEL, then EDIT SOURCES, then do any desired reprioritization of tuners for the channel.

Lastly, here is a Guide Tool quirk that I have noticed - the order you click on channels to merge is important.
1) LEFT-CLICK on the clear QAM channel first
2) CTRL-LEFT CLICK on the cable card channel (now they're both selected/highlighted).
3) RIGHT-CLICK on the cable card channel, then select MERGE
This sequence seems to be necessary to add the clear QAM channel to the cable card channel (instead of vice versa).

grittree

Post by grittree » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:05 pm

Having a bit of a problem trying to install this.

Step 1, substep 6 says "The Guide selection will now be available on the TV menu strip." Not in my case.

I can use Live TV, and in the guide settings see all the channels and for each channel (using edit sources) see the current program listing.

But I can't see the guide. The mxf file appears to be complete.

Did I leave out some step?

HTBruceM

Post by HTBruceM » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:07 pm

glorp wrote: Also, when I first set up/ran the app I checked the box to get logos from SD. I don't like them and would like to return to call signs in the guide. I unchecked the box in the GUI some days ago but still have logos in the guide. What has to be done to remove them and revert?
Are the remaining logos from MCL or EPG123?
If you don't want ANY channel logos in the guide, I would rerun MCL app and in it, do the following:
1) In the LOGOS tab, hit the "remove all" button
2) in the GUIDE tab, under the "show..." I would uncheck the logo button. Hit the APPLY CHANGES button.

Even if EPG123 is still providing logos, step 2 above should make them invisible in the guide.
Last edited by HTBruceM on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HTBruceM

Post by HTBruceM » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:24 pm

I just want to say what an absolute pleasure it is to have accurate and complete guide data in WMC again...
Big kudos to garyan2 for taking this on.

Begin rant...
You know the entire media industry is driving like crazy to push us all into "apps". What that means is that they will control your entire viewing experience and eliminate your ability to RECORD. They HATE the concept of viewer recordings, they always have and fought it ever since the first VCR arrived. It also means you will have to sit through commercials, because there will be no recordings, it will all be either "live" streams or if you call up a show on demand you can be SURE their app will disable your ability to "skip ahead" over commercials.

EPG123 actually breathes some life into WMC and the ability of end users to RECORD. I have high hopes for the SiliconDust DVR project as a legitimate WMC replacement some day, despite their inability to show a grid-based guide format. ROVI threatened to sue them over this because apparently Rovi has a patent on a grid-based guide and they would have to PAY for a license on that. I can't believe they can actually get a patent on a grid layout of data...

<<<updated to say "patent" instead of "copyright">>>
Last edited by HTBruceM on Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Space

Post by Space » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:35 pm

HTBruceM wrote:...
ROVI threatened to sue them over this because apparently Rovi has a copyright on a grid-based guide and they would have to PAY for a license on that. I can't believe they can actually get a copyright on a grid layout of data...
Yeah, I believe it is a patent, not a copyright, and they have many of them that are broad and ridiculous. I can't believe they were granted a patent on many of them.
Netflix fought them on a few of the patents and they won, so maybe someone should fight them on this TV grid patent.

glorp

Post by glorp » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:51 pm

HTBruceM wrote:
glorp wrote: Also, when I first set up/ran the app I checked the box to get logos from SD. I don't like them and would like to return to call signs in the guide. I unchecked the box in the GUI some days ago but still have logos in the guide. What has to be done to remove them and revert?
Are the remaining logos from MCL or EPG123?
If you don't want ANY channel logos in the guide, I would rerun MCL app and in it, do the following:
1) In the LOGOS tab, hit the "remove all" button
2) in the GUIDE tab, under the "show..." I would uncheck the logo button. Hit the APPLY CHANGES button.

Even if EPG123 is still providing logos, step 2 above should make them invisible in the guide.
I assume you're referring to some tool that I don't have or use in those steps. I have never had or added logos in my guides on my other WMCs before now, only channel call signs in the MS EPG. My install for this was brand new. Never seen another guide except for the one SD/EPG123 provides. I selected the option to get logos from SD that's in EPG123's config mode. That's where they came from and that was done on from the very first guide pull from SD when I set up the EPG after the TV setup. I immediately decided I didn't like those logos and disabled the EPG123 option for them. I've had a lot of subsequent schedule updates since. Logos are still there, annoying me :)

HTBruceM

Post by HTBruceM » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:59 pm

glorp wrote: I assume you're referring to some tool that I don't have or use in those steps. I have never had or added logos in my guides on my other WMCs before now, only channel call signs in the MS EPG. My install for this was brand new. Never seen another guide except for the one SD/EPG123 provides. I selected the option to get logos from SD that's in EPG123's config mode. That's where they came from and that was done on from the very first guide pull from SD when I set up the EPG after the TV setup. I immediately decided I didn't like those logos and disabled the EPG123 option for them. I've had a lot of subsequent schedule updates since. Logos are still there, annoying me :)
MCL = My Channel Logos application. It has settings that can tweak how the guide looks. Number of rows/channels shown, number of columns/hours shown, size of the column where the channel number, logo and callsign reside. It also has the ability to put in channel logos obviously. I don't know if there is a registry tweak for what you need, but I know MCL will do what you want.

glorp

Post by glorp » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:05 pm

HTBruceM wrote:
glorp wrote: I assume you're referring to some tool that I don't have or use in those steps. I have never had or added logos in my guides on my other WMCs before now, only channel call signs in the MS EPG. My install for this was brand new. Never seen another guide except for the one SD/EPG123 provides. I selected the option to get logos from SD that's in EPG123's config mode. That's where they came from and that was done on from the very first guide pull from SD when I set up the EPG after the TV setup. I immediately decided I didn't like those logos and disabled the EPG123 option for them. I've had a lot of subsequent schedule updates since. Logos are still there, annoying me :)
MCL = My Channel Logos application. It has settings that can tweak how the guide looks. Number of rows/channels shown, number of columns/hours shown, size of the column where the channel number, logo and callsign reside. It also has the ability to put in channel logos obviously. I don't know if there is a registry tweak for what you need, but I know MCL will do what you want.
OK, thanks. I think I'll wait and see what garyan2 has to say about it. If EPG123 put 'em in it should be able to take 'em out :) If that's not possible I'll look at MCL as the route. I tend to just keep a very vanilla guide so that something I mess with doesn't break it.

HTBruceM

Post by HTBruceM » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:45 pm

For cablecard users in GuideTool with 10,000 channels showing up, I know it was suggested that we just uncheck the 9600 channels that don't have anything on them. Has anyone actually DELETED them in Guide Tool instead of unchecking them to see what happens?

Space

Post by Space » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:51 pm

HTBruceM wrote:For cablecard users in GuideTool with 10,000 channels showing up, I know it was suggested that we just uncheck the 9600 channels that don't have anything on them. Has anyone actually DELETED them in Guide Tool instead of unchecking them to see what happens?
If I recall correctly there is no problem with deleting them, the problem comes when you may need to re-add them back in the future. So the recommendation was to just disable them for now.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:51 pm

It's recommended you leave them unchecked and not deleted for future adds, moves, changes your provider will perform.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

glorp

Post by glorp » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:59 pm

Space wrote:
HTBruceM wrote:For cablecard users in GuideTool with 10,000 channels showing up, I know it was suggested that we just uncheck the 9600 channels that don't have anything on them. Has anyone actually DELETED them in Guide Tool instead of unchecking them to see what happens?
If I recall correctly there is no problem with deleting them, the problem comes when you may need to re-add them back in the future. So the recommendation was to just disable them for now.
I deleted everything above 1000 and disabled everything below and no ill effects that I've noticed for the delets. The rationale was "what happens if/when the cable provider adds a new channel on a deleted number".