myForecast weather addin

Scallica

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Scallica » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:48 pm

I recently reset WMC on my test system to evaluate EPG123. Now, MyForecast no longer starts. When I launch it, all that appears is a blue screen. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it and receive the same results. Any suggestions?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:04 am

Scallica wrote:I recently reset WMC on my test system to evaluate EPG123. Now, MyForecast no longer starts. When I launch it, all that appears is a blue screen. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it and receive the same results. Any suggestions?
Interesting - Never had this problem on my developer MCE box on which I constantly reinstall myForecast and test different versions of EPG123.
Here are some quick ideas ?
- Do you have any error logs in C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\Documents\myForecast ? Check for file(s): myForecastLog_2016_XX_XX.txt.
- Can you delete the Config.xml inside C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\Documents\myForecast and run myForecast again ?
- Have you tried installing some of the previous releases: https://github.com/nelinory/myForecast/releases ?

I will have a new release ready by the end of the week too.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:10 pm

nelinory wrote:
Scallica wrote:I recently reset WMC on my test system to evaluate EPG123. Now, MyForecast no longer starts. When I launch it, all that appears is a blue screen. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it and receive the same results. Any suggestions?
Interesting - Never had this problem on my developer MCE box on which I constantly reinstall myForecast and test different versions of EPG123.
Here are some quick ideas ?
- Do you have any error logs in C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\Documents\myForecast ? Check for file(s): myForecastLog_2016_XX_XX.txt.
- Can you delete the Config.xml inside C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\Documents\myForecast and run myForecast again ?
- Have you tried installing some of the previous releases: https://github.com/nelinory/myForecast/releases ?
I deleted the XML files. Also, I noticed I was using the beta release. Uninstalled the beta release and installed the 1.0.1 release. I re-added my API key and zip and now it is launching successfully. Thanks!

Also, I noticed that on the main screen, the city name is too far to the right and is chopped. In the configuration screen, the save, cancel, and about buttons should be on the bottom of the screen.

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:14 am

myForecast v1.0.2 released.

Enhancements
- Centered the whole layout.
- Cleaned up the temperature data on the screen. Now it also shows the correct unit - °F/°C. Removed the decimal point for the current condition temperature.
- The left daily forecast tile now shows the current day forecast (2 hours ahead of the current time).
- Added support for hourly forecast. You can now navigate to the current weather condition panel when selected it acts as a button. When clicked it hides the daily forecast data and shows the hourly forecast weather data (36 hours ahead). You can use the left/right button on the remote control to scroll thru the data. To go back to the default layout just click again on the current weather condition panel. The scheduled data refresh will also restore the default layout, i.e. hide the hourly forecast panel.

Bugfixes
- Fixed an issue where the myForecast start menu tile may override another custom start menu tile

Links at GitHub
- Introduction, configuration and source code: https://github.com/nelinory/myForecast (README.md is your friend)
- Download the latest release: https://github.com/nelinory/myForecast/releases

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:43 pm

Just installed the 1.0.2 release (was running the Beta) now it crashes every time it try to get the forecast with:

Ooops Catastrophic error.
Please check the log file for more details.

The log file contains:

02/29/2016 00:22:48.079 Error Length cannot be less than zero.
Parameter name: length
Stack: at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy)
at myForecast.WeatherModel.LoadCurrentConditionProperties(XmlNode currentConditionNode)

duncane

Post by duncane » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:39 pm

Loving this add-in. I already had a Weather Underground account which I use with an Android App and a Personal Weather Station (PWS) so I actually get my PWS info in the add-in!

Well done.

Cheers

webminster

Post by webminster » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:28 pm

stuartm wrote:Just installed the 1.0.2 release (was running the Beta) now it crashes every time it try to get the forecast with:
Happened to me as well. I removed the files under the C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\myForecast folder and it worked. Had to reconfigure.
-Alan

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:46 pm

Tried that, No joy. Reconfigured and got the exact same error.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:32 pm

Hmm, I just installed this last night on my rebuild, and got the same error.

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:58 pm

stuartm wrote:Just installed the 1.0.2 release (was running the Beta) now it crashes every time it try to get the forecast with:

The log file contains:

02/29/2016 00:22:48.079 Error Length cannot be less than zero.
Parameter name: length
Stack: at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy)
at myForecast.WeatherModel.LoadCurrentConditionProperties(XmlNode currentConditionNode)
Can you post the content of your C:\Users\USER_NAME\Documents\myForecast\Config.xml. Please, mask the key. It should be something like:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Configuration>
  <ApiKey>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</ApiKey>
  <LocationCode>10001</LocationCode>
  <WeatherUnit>Imperial</WeatherUnit>
  <RefreshRateInMinutes>10</RefreshRateInMinutes>
  <ClockTimeFormat>Hours12</ClockTimeFormat>
</Configuration>
Also does the myForecast v1.0.1 works fine for you ?

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:43 pm

Embiggens wrote:Hmm, I just installed this last night on my rebuild, and got the same error.
Do you have a data file inside: C:\Users\USER_NAME\Documents\myForecast ? For example if your zip code is 10001 the data file name would be wu_10001.xml
Can you attach the data file in a reply, if not can you provide the zip code you are using for the configuration ? Working on a version with some built in diagnostics so I can help you and stuartm.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:08 am

I haven't tried the 1.0.1 release will try it tonight.
There is a data file: wu_zmw.80503.1.99999
But it's quite large (89KB) so I hesitate to post it here.

here is my config file:

<Configuration>
<ApiKey>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</ApiKey>
<LocationCode>zmw.80503.1.99999</LocationCode>
<ClockTimeFormat>Hours24</ClockTimeFormat>
</Configuration>

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:58 am

stuartm wrote:I haven't tried the 1.0.1 release will try it tonight.
There is a data file: wu_zmw.80503.1.99999
But it's quite large (89KB) so I hesitate to post it here.

here is my config file:

<Configuration>
<ApiKey>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</ApiKey>
<LocationCode>zmw.80503.1.99999</LocationCode>
<ClockTimeFormat>Hours24</ClockTimeFormat>
</Configuration>
Thank you very much for the info stuartm. Once I used your zip code and cleared all cached data files I immediately identified the issue.
I have fixed it and uploaded an updated installer on GitHub. Please, remove the current release, download again myForecast v.1.0.2 from https://github.com/nelinory/myForecast/ ... tag/v1.0.2 and reinstall.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:11 am

Yep, that version works now without crashing.

Thanks

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:05 pm

yeah I downloaded the update last night and it worked for me too. Thanks to you and stuartm for sorting it out.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:31 pm

nelinory wrote:
Scallica wrote:Great job! How about a nicer icon for the WMC menu?
Well, my graphical designer skills are severely lacking :oops:
I will appreciate any help towards better application icon. :thumbup: .....maybe a new sets of weather icons too.
There are plenty of royalty-free sun images you could use.

http://www.vecteezy.com/free-vector/sun

webminster

Post by webminster » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:58 am

So glanced at the weather tonight in 1.0.2 (about 9:50PM local), the logic is a little strange. The left cell is "TOMORROW" (tomorrow is Friday), next over is "FRI". "Tomorrow's" forecast is 39/40 degrees, mostly cloudy... but "Friday's" forecast is 32/62 degrees, partly cloudy. I'm assuming "tomorrow" is tonight, and "friday" is tomorrow. Either the wording is a little off, or there's two tomorrows that have different forecasts.
-Alan

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:44 pm

webminster wrote:So glanced at the weather tonight in 1.0.2 (about 9:50PM local), the logic is a little strange. The left cell is "TOMORROW" (tomorrow is Friday), next over is "FRI". "Tomorrow's" forecast is 39/40 degrees, mostly cloudy... but "Friday's" forecast is 32/62 degrees, partly cloudy. I'm assuming "tomorrow" is tonight, and "friday" is tomorrow. Either the wording is a little off, or there's two tomorrows that have different forecasts.
Well I was looking at the same thing last night too. Here are my thoughts..

What kind of forecast data we get from the WeatherUnderground API?
1. Daily forecast data
- The API only gives the evening forecast for the current day(and the next 6 days) regardless of when you have requested the data. We receive one record per forecast day and it is always have a 7:00PM timesamp.
- This is the data that myForecast shows for forecast tiles #2-#6.

2. Hourly forecast data
- The API gives us 36 hours of forecast data starting from the next hour of the request, i.e myForecast requests the data at 5:31PM the first hourly forecast will be for 6:00PM.
- myForecast uses this data for forecast tile #1. Based on the previous discussions I have implemented the following (it could be totally wrong .. or just needs a bit of tweaking).
a. The title of forecast tile #1 is dynamically build as follows:

Code: Select all

If Current Hour >= 0 AND Current Hour < NOON -> SAYS TODAY
If Current Hour >= NOON AND Current Hour < 8PM  -> SAYS TONIGHT
If Current Hour >= 8PM AND Current Hour < MIDNIGHT -> SAYS TOMORROW
b. The forecast tile #1 currently shows the information 2 hours ahead of time from the hourly forecast weather data. Example, if you request data at 10:32AM you will see the weather forecast data for 1:00PM.

The whole idea with forecast tile #1 was to make it dynamic so people can see the forecast for the current day. At this state the forecast tile #1 feels a bit funny at times as you have discoverer.

Any ideas/comments/suggestions on how to improved it are welcome.

Romain

Post by Romain » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:39 pm

Hello,
how to translate the application? (I am French)

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:33 pm

Romain wrote:Hello,
how to translate the application? (I am French)
I have not started working on the localization yet - It is on my to do list. The weather data coming from Weather Underground API is already available in multiple languages, I just need to do some ground work on myForecast to support multiple languages/translations. Probably will have the base functionality ready to be translated for the next release.