HD in Windows 10 Media Center

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
technodevotee

HTPC Specs: Show details

HD in Windows 10 Media Center

Post by technodevotee » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:16 pm

I have been running Windows 10 with Media Centre for a while on PCs with DVBT cards and it has been working fine - even picking up OTA listings during the recent outage.

However, my Living Room PC has Windows 7 with two DVBS-2 cards and because it wasn't getting usable listings, I wanted to try out EPG Collector. Rather than risk screwing up the system like the last time we had this guide outage, I put the satellite cards into another Windows 7 PC, configured it up and installed EPG Collector and it worked perfectly.

However, that PC is far too noisy to use in the Living Room so I decided to try EPG Collector on the Living Room PC but, this time, I fitted a spare HDD and installed Windows 10 with MC, went through the exact same procedure as with windows 7 and it found everything except HD channels.

I installed EPG Collector and it found the HD listings and added them to the guide but there are no HD channels to map them to.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:20 pm

I omitted to say that there was one HD channel shown in the Guide before I started trying to add the rest. It is BBC 2 HD, but despite the fact that the details in the source information are correct and it shows 100 signal quality, it doesn't work.

Anyway, I just reset everything and went through manually scanning the transponders that have the HD channels and except for Channel 4 HD, it still can't find them.

The really odd thing is that, out of all the HD channels found on my Windows 7 installation, ITV and Channel 4 are the only ones that don't work.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:21 am

I now know why channel 4 HD works in Media Center on my Windows 10 installation and not on my Windows 7 installation.

The transponder it uses is DVB-S, not DVB-S2 and once I removed the relevant registry entry, it started working on Windows 7.

So, it seems the driver on my Windows 10 installation is ignoring the registry entries and is only 'seeing' DVB-S signals. Now, I have to find out why and I guess that means it is time to start looking for more specific Hauppauge info.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:07 pm

There is a tool for the Hauppauge nova hd s2 and the hvr-4000.

A quick google for "nova hd s2 media center dvbs2" will bring up the "how to enable dvb-s2" link.

There is a hauppauge tool in the forums that will populate the registry with the required tuning parameters for -s2 transponders.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:13 pm

Yes, I used that - the same as I do with Windows 7 - but I have just discovered that the problem was the driver I let Windows install.

It started working when I loaded the Hauppauge one.