myForecast weather addin

nelinory

HTPC Specs: Show details

myForecast weather addin

Post by nelinory » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:26 pm

What is myForecast?
myForecast is a free native Windows Media Center weather application. For a weather provider it uses Weather Underground.

Requirements
- Windows Media Center 7/8
- Internet connection
- Api key from WeatherUnderground

Limitations
- Only 16:9 screen layout (widescreen) is supported at the moment
- Single weather location only
- Weather alerts are NOT SUPPORTED (although they are considered for future version)

Links at GitHub
- Introduction, configuration and source code: https://github.com/nelinory/myForecast (README.md is your friend)
- Download the latest release: https://github.com/nelinory/myForecast/ ... /v1.0-beta

Screenshot

Feedback
Any comments, questions and ideas are greatly appreciated.
All application generated files (configuration/location cache and error logs) can be found at: C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\Documents\myForecast

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:47 am

Oooh... Very nice, thanks.

webminster

Post by webminster » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:41 pm

Nice, and test install worked here. Where do you plan to take it, display of any other WU data, maps or other details?
-Alan

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:11 pm

Nice work. It installed fine on my system (Windows 7 x64).

Didn't really want to setup an account at Weather Underground... but I also really wanted a working weather app. :D

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:05 pm

DaveInPa wrote:Nice work. It installed fine on my system (Windows 7 x64).

Didn't really want to setup an account at Weather Underground... but I also really wanted a working weather app. :D
My request to Weather Underground for one unlimited api key for the application on that base that the application is free was rejected. I was told to use the free Developer account. At the same time I have to give the Weather Underground a credit for allowing us to use all features for free if we are fine with being limited to 500 calls per day. :thumbup:

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:12 pm

webminster wrote:Nice, and test install worked here. Where do you plan to take it, display of any other WU data, maps or other details?
I am currently working on the weather alerts functionality. My toughs for the future releases are that they will be driven by the community requests. Please, log any ideas as enchantments type of issues (yeah funny name) at: https://github.com/nelinory/myForecast/issues

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:29 pm

Nice, been looking for **new** apps for WIndows Media Center....this looks good, I'll download it when I get home..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:23 am

Looks awesome. Does this work on extenders?

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:12 pm

Embiggens wrote:Looks awesome. Does this work on extenders?
It does!

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:26 pm

Doctor Feelgood wrote:
It does!
Thank you for testing it on an extender. I do not have one, so I was not sure how it will look.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:02 pm

nelinory wrote:
Doctor Feelgood wrote:
It does!
Thank you for testing it on an extender. I do not have one, so I was not sure how it will look.
Great, will give it a try this weekend probably. A welcome surprise to see a nice new add-in, especially during this dark hour for WMC.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:18 pm

nelinory wrote:
Doctor Feelgood wrote:
It does!
Yup - it showed up in the Extras Library on my XBOX 360 extenders, just like on the Media Center PC - and it worked.

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:52 pm

Thank you for taking the time to make this app. I've been missing a good weather app. : D

webminster

Post by webminster » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:34 pm

nelinory wrote:
Doctor Feelgood wrote:
It does!
Actually, it did not work for me on my Linksys DMA2200 extender. After installing and configuring on the main HTPC, I rebooted the extender, saw the icon, and activated it. All I got was a blue screen background, nothing else. Had to back out with green button. Haven't tried it yet on an Xbox360 extender, but at this point extender support may be variable.
-Alan

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:54 pm

webminster wrote:Actually, it did not work for me on my Linksys DMA2200 extender. After installing and configuring on the main HTPC, I rebooted the extender, saw the icon, and activated it. All I got was a blue screen background, nothing else. Had to back out with green button. Haven't tried it yet on an Xbox360 extender, but at this point extender support may be variable.
Yes to variability... This worked through one of two of my 360s. The one where it didn't work did the same thing you describe- just locked on the blue background. Variability may be more related to the display.

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:10 pm

Embiggens wrote:
webminster wrote:Actually, it did not work for me on my Linksys DMA2200 extender. After installing and configuring on the main HTPC, I rebooted the extender, saw the icon, and activated it. All I got was a blue screen background, nothing else. Had to back out with green button. Haven't tried it yet on an Xbox360 extender, but at this point extender support may be variable.
Yes to variability... This worked through one of two of my 360s. The one where it didn't work did the same thing you describe- just locked on the blue background. Variability may be more related to the display.
To follow up: this could be due to the display resolution. I am enforcing the panel size to be 1366x768 (min/max) for widescreen. I will have a new release in the next couple of days - will try to relax the resolution requirements and see if that makes a difference. Again mostly guessing here - does not have access to extender.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:26 am

One thing that is a bit of a problem. The current days forecast is not shown. This is not good if you are like me and stay up late watching something and say right after midnight you check what "tomorrow's" weather will be before turning in and you don't see that.

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:00 pm

stuartm wrote:One thing that is a bit of a problem. The current days forecast is not shown. This is not good if you are like me and stay up late watching something and say right after midnight you check what "tomorrow's" weather will be before turning in and you don't see that.
The Weather Underground feed already have the current day forecast data and it is on top of my list. I have been struggling with how to show it on the main screen (UI design suggestions are welcome). If you have an idea, please log an issue at: https://github.com/nelinory/myForecast/issues

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:57 pm

myForecast v1.0.1 released.

Enhancements
- Added support for weather alerts
- Added support for the application shortcut to show in the start menu of Windows Media Center

Bugfixes
- Small optimizations for extenders

Links at GitHub
- Introduction, configuration and source code: https://github.com/nelinory/myForecast (README.md is your friend)
- Download the latest release: https://github.com/nelinory/myForecast/releases

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:03 pm

Nice, new version seems to be working on both of my tvs now. Thank you.