Petition Microsoft re Bring back WMC to Windows 10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
PhilFrancis

HTPC Specs: Show details

Petition Microsoft re Bring back WMC to Windows 10

Post by PhilFrancis » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:29 am

Hi Guys,
I looked at Change.org and there is a petition, "Bring and Update Windows Media Center to Windows 10"
I signed. I'm surprised it doesn't have more signatures.... why not sign?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:42 pm

PhilFrancis wrote:why not sign?
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1026727

It started working around page 175, get the latest version in post #1, read readme.txt and workaround.txt

dougfoot

Post by dougfoot » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:43 pm

I signed - Having Windows Media Center updated and integrated back into Windows 10 would be the preferred method. The hack of installing Windows Media Center after the fact has its drawbacks, the main ones being Media Center is removed with every major update and the potential for security patches killing Media Center.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:34 pm

The time for petition was 5 years ago. The war is over. WMC has been dead and buried for years all ready. Save your ink to help battle updates and security patches.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... mc+missing

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:37 pm

Crash2009 wrote:The time for petition was 5 years ago. The war is over. WMC has been dead and buried for years all ready. Save your ink to help battle updates and security patches.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... MC+missing
Sad but true.... It's not dead, still works fine, just wish we could get some good devs who would like to extend it out with some apps... or a true way how to get 8.1/10 apps working in WMC...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

DarkKaplah

Post by DarkKaplah » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:43 pm

It's just sad Microsoft won't either release the source to the community or sell it to an interested party. I'd love to see Ceton's fires stoked up again and for them to get the Q out the door.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:00 pm

Not a chance in Hades ;)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:58 pm

STC wrote:Not a chance in Hades ;)
Well, Windows Media Center has been hacked pretty open (after all, it does run with protected content on Windows 10), so I am sure someone could "modfiy" the OS a little....

If you have ever run WMC with the /rtl switch (right to left), it changes it up a bit but, the problem is everything is right to left, incuding the guide. I would love if someone modfifed just the home page, to change it up a little.....

What we really need is some 3rd parties to start making apps for it again, EXPAND IT. It's been proven that it CAN run in 4K, if we could get streaming content in 4K, it could really be a cool interface for a HTPC with 4K content...

We wouldn't even need Microcrap for it....but, we need a lot of 3rd parties to join in and with Microcrap giving up on it.... it will be very hard...

Still, riddle me this.... What DVR from the cable, sat, or even fios providers offer a DVR that could do 12+ tuners (Media Center actually supports 32 tuners), that can be extender all over the home with a off the shelf $150 device, that does not cost anything extra ?

There is not an option, there really isn't
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:06 pm

DavidinCT wrote:Still, riddle me this.... What DVR from the cable, sat, or even fios providers offer a DVR that could do 12+ tuners (Media Center actually supports 32 tuners), that can be extender all over the home with a off the shelf $150 device, that does not cost anything extra ?

If you want to watch that much TV (if you really can and aren't just hoarding shows to have a nice library to look at), and want it for that cheap, you should not be surprised at the apparent uphill battle you are facing to fulfill your 'needs'/requirements.

Developers go where the users are, and as much as you might not want to hear/face it, WMC ain't it in this day and age. 6-7 years ago, sure. But not now. Things don't usually bottom out and all of a sudden become a robust thriving ecosystem again (especially years later and as even more time goes by).

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:15 pm

Ed  wrote: Things don't usually bottom out and all of a sudden become a robust thriving ecosystem again (especially years later and as even more time goes by).
Lacoste?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:17 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:
Ed  wrote: Things don't usually bottom out and all of a sudden become a robust thriving ecosystem again (especially years later and as even more time goes by).
Lacoste?
Talking about technological ecosystems, but sure, there are always exceptions to the rule. Hence why I said usually.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:19 pm

Ed  wrote:
IownFIVEechos wrote:
Lacoste?
Talking about technological ecosystems, but sure, there are always exceptions to the rule. Hence why I said usually.
Just want to give some hope. :) I want SD to hurry already! :crazy:

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:30 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote: I want SD to hurry already! :crazy:
Lol, all I'll say is good luck to you with that that :P

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:47 pm

Ed  wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:Still, riddle me this.... What DVR from the cable, sat, or even fios providers offer a DVR that could do 12+ tuners (Media Center actually supports 32 tuners), that can be extender all over the home with a off the shelf $150 device, that does not cost anything extra ?

If you want to watch that much TV (if you really can and aren't just hoarding shows to have a nice library to look at), and want it for that cheap, you should not be surprised at the apparent uphill battle you are facing to fulfill your 'needs'/requirements.

Developers go where the users are, and as much as you might not want to hear/face it, WMC ain't it in this day and age. 6-7 years ago, sure. But not now. Things don't usually bottom out and all of a sudden become a robust thriving ecosystem again (especially years later and as even more time goes by).
The truth is, Windows Media Center works today, like it did 5 years ago (accept some internet TV and sport options), If you could build it 5 years ago, you could build it today and it works just like it did before.

Not that I NEED it but, some people have LARGE families who like to record a LOT OF TV... I have 4 people in my home (2 adults and 2 kids) and we need at least 4-5 tuners at some points during the week. Media Center fills that bill very nicely.

IF YOU WANTED TO, you could create a 32 tuner box, with 30+ TB of tv storage, Xbox 360 extenders all over the house (AEP package removed the limit of 5 in use at a time). Then for movies ? Storage could be endless if you WANTED TO.

Media Center is so scalable on this aspect, you could really create a unreal Home entertainment package, something that even the newest cablebox or Sat box could compete with. Media Center was NOT designed for just a small tuner

But, now, although the tuner thing is hard to compete with, the streaming features are coming to most cable and sat boxes....Media Center is starting to fall behind in this aspect.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:50 pm

Since we've already made the investment in PC, tuners and 6 Xbox 360s, our operating cost per month is only for the cablecards - which Comcast is charging $7.50 per month - per card. Our WMC box has a 3 tuner HDHR and a 4 tuner Ceton - plus we have 2 additional 3 tuner HDHRs available for testing with SD's DVR software.

But, Microsoft hasn't invested in WMC software in a long time, and while WMC was the best option available (when Microsoft was investing in WMC), it's falling further and further behind. Comcast's X1 DVR is a huge improvement over their previous DVRs - and is much closer to being a viable WMC replacement. The TiVo Bolt looks even more promising with commercial skip and 1.3x watching, along with integration to major streaming services and (Comcast) On Demand and Plex (for personal videos, music and photos).

With both of these solutions, costs will be higher. With Comcast, we would save $ by returning our 4 cablecards ($30 per month) but end up spending more by renting 6 X1 STBs to replace the Xbox 360x. With TiVo, we'd pay $20 month for one cable card and their DVR service plus another $900 to purchase TiVo minis - plus the cost of the Bolt. And we'd be limited to a smaller number of simultaneous channels.

As long as WMC is running, we'll likely keep using it - we've long recovered the sunk hardware costs by the monthly Comcast savings - and we haven't (yet) found any capability missing in our WMC environment that would warrant a significant increase in our monthly costs or the $1000+ hardware costs in shifting to TiVo. Though with SD apparently not interested in providing a replacement for WMC - if any of our current hardware breaks, it would be difficult to make any new investments in our WMC solution...