Potential hard drive I/O issue, anyone ever see this?

pittsoccer33

HTPC Specs: Show details

Potential hard drive I/O issue, anyone ever see this?

Post by pittsoccer33 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:00 pm

I've had the Prime tuner for about a year now with no problems recording several programs at once. I also have a single ATSC tuner, and when I've had 4 going at once I haven't had problems.

Now I'm starting to see them under playback. When I try to stream to multiple extenders one of them stutters badly. Network is cat6 with gigabit hardware. 360 network tuner comes back ok.

Should I be worried about a hard drive failure? I think I've isolated it to a WMC problem, because when I stream direct to DLNA targets (Kodi pc, Xbox One) and take the WMC host machine out of the equation there are no problems. I thought I fixed it yesterday when I power cycled my networking gear, but that didn't last.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:05 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:Should I be worried about a hard drive failure?
Hard Disk Sentinel will answer the question.

http://www.hdsentinel.com/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

pittsoccer33

Post by pittsoccer33 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:32 pm

I just wanted to follow this up.

I believe the problem was an i/o issue with a hard drive due to it being close to full. Playing recorded programs worked fine, and it was able to record several at one time ok as well. But writing to the buffer and streaming it out to the extenders gave it trouble when the drive neared capacity.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:32 pm

You're speaking in past tense. Is your issue resolved?

A full, or close to full hard drive can certainly cause issues. In that situation, I have deleted shows and defragged my drive to see an immediate improvement.

pittsoccer33

Post by pittsoccer33 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:01 pm

Yep, I'm all good now. The original post was a few months old.

I'd been able to mitigate it by streaming from my HDHR Prime direct to my Kodi machine and/or Xbox One. But I wanted to use my WMC extenders for a few reasons, and finally took the time to troubleshoot it this week.