Weird guide problem, doesn't seem to "fit" the other issues

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
JTScribe

HTPC Specs: Show details

Weird guide problem, doesn't seem to "fit" the other issues

Post by JTScribe » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:00 am

Just got back from my in-laws. They live pretty much directly between Indianapolis and Louisville. So they can orient their antenna N-S and pull channels from both markets. Works out nice sometimes during football season as they're able to get multiple NFL games.

Anyway, so the Louisville guide data is gone. So I re-run TV setup and use a ZIP code a little bit further south. No dice, same thing. All right, I'll use a Louisville ZIP code. Works like a champ and correctly downloads all of the Louisville channels' data.

So I do a manual scan to add the Indy channels. It finds all of them, but now the guide date for those channels cannot be found. WTF?!? It was just there a few minutes ago . . ! :crazy:

Either iteration, I am only able to get one market to load at a time. This has worked fine for years, any ideas?

Edit -

And to add, the guide for both markets does seem to have data present:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/tv-listings ... ted+States

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/tv-listings ... ted+States

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:07 am

There was a guy in this post that lived on a mountain (in Utah). He received 10 channels from the south and 10 channels from the north, He used GuideTool to blend or merge them somehow so he could get all 20 into WMC. I don't know how to do it, but it might help you figure it out.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... guide+tool

I realize it not much to go on,

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:00 pm

I seem to remember someone suggesting "click on the icon that looks like a PCI card"

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:05 pm

I'll dig around, I do have Guide Tool on their system. It's just strange that it's worked without a hitch for years and now all of a sudden freaks out.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:37 pm

JTScribe wrote:I'll dig around, I do have Guide Tool on their system. It's just strange that it's worked without a hitch for years and now all of a sudden freaks out.
I don't think its strange at all. Its different. This Rovi thing changed a lot of stuff. When I opened GuideTool pre-rovi, I used to have 8 lineups, now I have 13. Previously WMC set up 1 CableCard lineup. Now it sets up 1 CC, and 1 OTA. I don't know why it would set up an OTA, I am all CableCard.

Its no wonder so many have thrown in the towel.....

When you figure it out, could you add your experience to...

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 988#p99988

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:21 pm

Try this.

You'll need to download Lineup Selector from here:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 439#p97439

Pick a zip code in Indianapolis and set up tv. This should give you an Indianapolis guide.
Re-run tv set up with a Louisville zip code. This should get you a Louisville guide.

Run Lineup Selector and merge the two guides together.

When setting up TV, when it starts scanning for channels, just cancel out. Then when it gives the option to detect signals, select the manual set up option. For OTA, its a lot quicker than doing a channel scan.

jadler

Post by jadler » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:33 pm

JTScribe wrote:Just got back from my in-laws. They live pretty much directly between Indianapolis and Louisville. So they can orient their antenna N-S and pull channels from both markets. Works out nice sometimes during football season as they're able to get multiple NFL games.

Anyway, so the Louisville guide data is gone. So I re-run TV setup and use a ZIP code a little bit further south. No dice, same thing. All right, I'll use a Louisville ZIP code. Works like a champ and correctly downloads all of the Louisville channels' data.

So I do a manual scan to add the Indy channels. It finds all of them, but now the guide date for those channels cannot be found. what the heck?!? It was just there a few minutes ago . . ! :crazy:

Either iteration, I am only able to get one market to load at a time. This has worked fine for years, any ideas?
I live in Indianapolis. When I do a setup, my OTA options include both an Indianapolis option and an Indianapolis-Louisville option. Give an Indianapolis zip code a shot like 46222

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:58 pm

dmagerl wrote:Try this.

You'll need to download Lineup Selector from here:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 439#p97439

Pick a zip code in Indianapolis and set up tv. This should give you an Indianapolis guide.
Re-run tv set up with a Louisville zip code. This should get you a Louisville guide.

Run Lineup Selector and merge the two guides together.

When setting up TV, when it starts scanning for channels, just cancel out. Then when it gives the option to detect signals, select the manual set up option. For OTA, its a lot quicker than doing a channel scan.
That did the trick. For some reason a bunch of our channels wouldn't tune after the first time, but I re-did it, and it works great. Hopefully it "sticks", it looks like for some reason the channel names were corrupted in the download information, when I ran the merge function it corrected quite a few of the channel names.
jadler wrote:
JTScribe wrote:Just got back from my in-laws. They live pretty much directly between Indianapolis and Louisville. So they can orient their antenna N-S and pull channels from both markets. Works out nice sometimes during football season as they're able to get multiple NFL games.

So I do a manual scan to add the Indy channels. It finds all of them, but now the guide date for those channels cannot be found. what the heck?!? It was just there a few minutes ago . . ! :crazy:

I live in Indianapolis. When I do a setup, my OTA options include both an Indianapolis option and an Indianapolis-Louisville option. Give an Indianapolis zip code a shot like 46222
Yeah, the Indianapolis-Louisville misses some of the channels we can get for some reason.