Epg123 with an Ceton InfiniTV tuner + an Xbox 360 extender

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Ladislaus

HTPC Specs: Show details

Epg123 with an Ceton InfiniTV tuner + an Xbox 360 extender

Post by Ladislaus » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:24 am

:?:

My Windows 8.1-based HTPC uses a Ceton InfiniTV tuner (4 tuner USB) for CableCARD-only usage (no OTA) with an Xbox 360 as an extender. With only 1 WMC system (alas, no test rig), I'm hesitant to fix something that isn't broken. Does the community here have experience (suggestions, steps taken, etc.) with a configuration such as this (or at least similar to)? My next 2 weekends have prior obligations taking up any HTPC re-configuration time that I might want to perform (i.e., switching to Epg123), so I figured that I'd collect information here until I was finally ready to make the switch. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:02 pm

HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

artm

Post by artm » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:00 pm

I would image your entire hard drive if I were you, not just in this case with such an important change but ingeneral. One should always have such a backup in ase the drive fails.

I use clonezilla, a free, proven utility. Download it, install it on a CD, reboot and run the CD. You will need an external USB drive to store the image. The image can be saved as an image (duplicating your original drive) or as a file. To restore, run the CD again "in reverse".

I have used this with my RAID6 arrays without any issues as well as simpler single drive systems.

Note: since WMC uses Play Ready and such, replacing even your hard drive may not allow you to access copy-protected recordings. A CPU change will cause this issue, probably a drive change as well.
-Art --
Win7 Ultimate x64 (NO UPDATES!), EPG123 v1.1.19, Schedules Direct, HDHomerun Prime,
Dell 980 SFF, i5, Nvidia GT710
Dell 780 SFF, i5, HD4000

Space

Post by Space » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:55 pm

Macrium Reflect is free and you can clone or image your system partition while it is live/running, no need to boot from a CD.

ewtaylo

Post by ewtaylo » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:52 pm

I use the same setup as you except for the tuners (win 8.1, 3 xbox 360 extenders, 2 HDHomerun Prime cable card, no OTA).

I had no test system either and I did the conversion with no backup. I booted into safe mode and deleted the database/folder. I followed the steps for the registry edits. everything worked splendidly.

The only issues I had were: had to rerun tuner salad. I think the Ceton people have been saying to remove the Ceton drivers and reinstall them in order to get the tuners seen by WMC.

You end up with 10,000 channels when you use lineup selector. When I used guide tool I sorted the list by station ID/name so that all the stations without an ID were together, then I checked the first station's box and then I scrolled to the bottom and Shift-checked the last item to select all of the unused channels and then I disabled them.

The whole process took less than 30 minutes to complete.

I took pictures of my series so that I could add them back after the conversion (I had over 150). This is the most annoying part of the process (an there is nothing Gary can do to fix it), but if you do it from the PC at least you have a mouse and keyboard interface.

I lost none of my WMC addons (commercial skipping) and I did not have to reinstall extenders.

edit: make sure you get the 8.1 version of lineup selector. Make sure you have the latest version of guide tool

captain_video

Post by captain_video » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:57 pm

If you've got a spare hard drive then I'd make a clone of your existing drive and use the clone to play with. That's what I did with my setup and it worked great. If something goes south then you still have the original drive to fall back on. I used EaseUS Drive Copy to clone my drive. It was free and downloadable from the net. There are probably other similar apps that work just as well.