v0.9.0 Release

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
captain_video

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by captain_video » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:23 pm

Channel 11.1 is real channel 11 and channel 13.1 is channel 13. There are only three HD channels in the 2-13 VHF range that have the same physical channels, and I excluded the third one from my lineup because the broadcast tower is not in the same direction as the rest of the Washington, DC, channels. All of the remaining locals have UHF physical channel frequencies and are included in the guide.

How do you manually add the channels to your lineup?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:15 am

captain_video wrote:Channel 11.1 is real channel 11 and channel 13.1 is channel 13. There are only three HD channels in the 2-13 VHF range that have the same physical channels, and I excluded the third one from my lineup because the broadcast tower is not in the same direction as the rest of the Washington, DC, channels. All of the remaining locals have UHF physical channel frequencies and are included in the guide.

How do you manually add the channels to your lineup?
Go to settings->TV->Guide->Add Missing Channels->Add DTV Channel ... you will then need to add 11.1->Next and enter 11 for assigned frequency. Repeat for all missing tuner channels.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you'll need to add a callsign as well for each channel.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

captain_video

Post by captain_video » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:50 am

That fixed it. Thanks! I've got guide data for the next 21 days. I especially like the season and episode labels in the titles. I've got 41 out of 117 series scheduled to record. Now I just have to wait until the rest begin airing again so I can add them back into the list. I think a few of them have been canceled so I just need to confirm those and delete them from my list.

webminster

Post by webminster » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:34 am

Running under the task scheduler, I see the following log the last couple of runs:
[3/26/2016 7:06:46 PM] [ERROR] Error using schtasks.exe to start ReindexSearchRoot task. Exit code: 1

Does this mean the index task isn't getting triggered?
-Alan

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:07 am

webminster wrote:Running under the task scheduler, I see the following log the last couple of runs:
[3/26/2016 7:06:46 PM] [ERROR] Error using schtasks.exe to start ReindexSearchRoot task. Exit code: 1

I believe that may be the case. I think I know what I'm going to be working on next. :(
- Gary

webminster

Post by webminster » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:13 am

Was wondering if it was the user or privilege level it was running as... it seemed to kick right from a normal command prompt, but not if as a task, manual or scheduled start. Was considering changing the task to run as SYSTEM, highest privileges, unless that's known a bad idea...

Edit: as SYSTEM, highest privileges, running the task manually, it did pass that step. Will try as SYSTEM without the privs.
Last edited by webminster on Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Alan

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:50 am

webminster wrote:Running under the task scheduler, I see the following log the last couple of runs:

That is the same issue I reported in the bug report thread. Well technically I reported trouble searching for an episode but that same thing seems to be the culprit.

KenL

Post by KenL » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:51 am

garyan2 wrote:
KenL wrote:Noticed the extra step: retrieve generic description metadata for 7072 series but didn't notice how search(?) behavior changed with that.
You will only notice the generic descriptions in your search results. There is a disparity however in that Gracenote provides up to 1000 characters, while WMC only allows 512 characters ... some will be cut off as in below.
genericDescriptions.png
Ah found it... the new synopsis tab on the search results! In the case of The Simpsons you can see the rest of that truncated sentence on an assigned generic listing. But it looks like most are shorter than 512.

Certainly nice to apparently have it on everything, especially on irregular series such as documentaries which seldom or never use generic listings in the schedule.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:48 am

Just tried the W8/10 version and it ran with no problems. This time, I made sure to check the auto match and matching worked. I was up and running in roughly 5 to 10 min
garyan2 wrote:To Crash2009 and choliscott: just PM'd you links to epg123 v0.9.0 for your systems ... let me know how it works! (worked on my test bed)

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:28 pm

Some notes after setting up from scratch with the .90 beta release (Win7 x64 cablecard):
- After first "save and execute" it kept crashing right after loading the MXF. Trace.log showed it was during automatic channel matching, and was an error about using the .NET frame work 2.x.x with 4.x.x. A reboot fixed this one, which seemed strange. Sorry I don't have the exact error.
- Scheduled Task would not run. Changed the task to "run with highest privileges" and it now works fine. The error was "[ERROR] Unhandled exception caught from main program. message: Requested registry access is not allowed."

Nice job, other than these issues it was very easy and straight forward!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:25 pm

Looks like it's working. Maybe I shouldn't have check-marked all the configuration boxes?

Actually its filling in the blanks fairly quick. I'm at 4650 of 4962
Attachments
EPG123_010.jpg

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:37 pm

Where are the Setup Instructions for WMC?

I went into TV Setup and WMC asked if I wanted to setup their EPG. I assume I should decline that? and What's Next?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:11 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Where are the Setup Instructions for WMC?

I went into TV Setup and WMC asked if I wanted to setup their EPG. I assume I should decline that? and What's Next?
On the website, here is Step 0.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:18 pm

3rob3 wrote:Some notes after setting up from scratch with the .90 beta release (Win7 x64 cablecard):
- After first "save and execute" it kept crashing right after loading the MXF. Trace.log showed it was during automatic channel matching, and was an error about using the .NET frame work 2.x.x with 4.x.x. A reboot fixed this one, which seemed strange. Sorry I don't have the exact error.
- Scheduled Task would not run. Changed the task to "run with highest privileges" and it now works fine. The error was "[ERROR] Unhandled exception caught from main program. message: Requested registry access is not allowed."

Nice job, other than these issues it was very easy and straight forward!
- There is an additional file currently required which is epg123.exe.config in order to perform the automatch (allows running .NET 2 components). If the file was not present when epg123 was started, it will fail.
- Looks like you have an account with limited privileges and setting up the task and editing the registry were not allowed. The registry access was added to activate the Guide after a clean start. I was somewhat prepared to required a first run/setup to be run as administrator but will look into other options.
- Gary

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:05 pm

My bad, you are right. After rebooting I replaced the files and tried again. I must not have copied the .config file the first time.

No, I definitely am running from an Admin account. It is the only account I have.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:01 am

Just one final question, two actually.....

Where is the setting to restore my channel Names and Numbers Starz HD 1980 is circled?

How do I confirm in WMC that I am using EPG123 and Schedules Direct?
Attachments
EPG123_015.jpg

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:47 am

Crash2009 wrote:Just one final question, two actually.....

Where is the setting to restore my channel Names and Numbers Starz HD 1980 is circled?

Not sure where your names and numbers went ... do you have MCL installed? My Win10 test bed had no problems (without MCL).

Did you do step 0? step 1 without registry edits? step 2 with automatch checked? step 3 is not needed for v0.9.0 ... did you use Lineup Selector? or Guide Tool?
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:49 am

And to answer how can you tell? The easy way would be to look at the description of a series episode ... if at the bottom it say Season XX, Episode YY then that is EPG123. I could be snarky and say if it looks good, then it must be EPG123. :lol:
- Gary

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:53 am

garyan2 wrote:

Not sure where your names and numbers went ... do you have MCL installed? My Win10 test bed had no problems (without MCL).

Did you do step 0? step 1 without registry edits? step 2 with automatch checked? step 3 is not needed for v0.9.0 ... did you use Lineup Selector? or Guide Tool?
Originally, I wasn't having much luck with this, one of the mcepg's kept coming back after being deleted from ProgramData in Safe Mode) so I zapped WMC with %systemroot%\ehome\mcupdate.exe -MediaCenterRecoveryTask, and went through the steps on your web page again, starting with Step 0. Then I ran EPG123 and went for a nap. Woke up, checked the guide and it was working (as you see it). It appears MCL is partially working...I have a 4 line mini and a 3-hour guide....

Step 0 I got an error with rd c:\programdata\microsoft\ehome /s /q The error was the files were in use by another process. I ignored the error and continued anyway.

Step 1 Yes I did the regedits

Step 2 Everything is/was checked including automatch.

Step 3 I did not do. I thought Guide Tool was not working with this version. I do have my channels backed up from GuideTool, and am anxious to trim my channels down to a lean mean 105 HD's

I will re install/configure MCL and GuideTool and see where I end up.

All in all, it looks pretty great, and whatever problems I have, are likely caused by operator error. Thanks for creating EPG123 and of course...for your assistance.

s04e09 Lair of Giants Repeat looks new
Attachments
EPG123_016.jpg
Last edited by Crash2009 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:10 am

Crash2009 wrote:
garyan2 wrote:

Originally, I wasn't having much luck with this, one of the mcepg's kept coming back after being deleted from ProgramData in Safe Mode) so I zapped WMC with %systemroot%\ehome\mcupdate.exe -MediaCenterRecoveryTask, and went through the steps on your web page again, starting with Step 0. Then I ran EPG123 and went for a nap. Woke up, checked the guide and it was working (as you see it). It appears MCL is partially working...I have a 4 line mini and a 3-hour guide....

Step 0 I got an error with rd c:\programdata\microsoft\ehome /s /q The error was the files were in use by another process. I ignored the error and continued anyway.

Step 1 Yes I did the regedits

Step 2 Everything is/was checked including automatch.

Step 3 I did not do. I thought Guide Tool was not working with this version. I do have my channels backed up from GuideTool, and am anxious to trim my channels down to a lean mean 105 HD's

I will re install/configure MCL and GuideTool and see where I end up.

All in all, it looks pretty great, and whatever problems I have, are likely caused by operator error. Thanks for creating EPG123 and of course...for your assistance.

s04e09 Lair of Giants Repeat looks new
Guide Tool shouldn't be necessary for trimming if you are using v0.9.0. Having MCL remove all logos followed by an autopopulate may help with the callsigns and logos. Could you send me your trace.log file? curious about how the automatch did in your case.

s04e09 ?? :?:
- Gary