Is step 0 optional?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
kmp14

HTPC Specs: Show details

Is step 0 optional?

Post by kmp14 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:50 pm

garyan2 wrote:Step 0 can still be considered optional, but certainly advised. By running TV Setup again and not agreeing to the terms of service for the EPG, that should disconnect you completely from Rovi. The problem doing it this way is that the database is messy ... if you search by category, actor, or movie genres, it is a mess. The Rovi crap should die out eventually, but the first time you see epg123/SD, and remember what the WMC experience used to be, you'll probably never go back.
Just an FYI that I did NOT do step 0, because *I think* back then step 0 included uninstalling and re-installing MC. That scared me off. That being said, I started at step 1, followed all steps from there, and my guide is Epg123-perfect! I did go in and manually delete every series and then recreate them of course.

Going back, I would have done the "delete from ehome directory" at least, just so I could "feel" like things are cleaner.

webminster

Post by webminster » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:10 pm

My first go at EPG123 was the same - just start from step 1. But I found various wonkinesses afterward, like search movies by actors did not show any air times for programs that were definitely in the guide. You can check out if that happens to you. If it does, the ehome folder cleanup and start-over will probably be needed, presuming the functionality matters to you. Removing the old mcepg* files and starting over helped that for me.

YMMV, unknown if the problem will just go away if the Rovi data expires out of your database eventually.
-Alan

STC

Post by STC » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:21 pm

Webminster FWIW that functionality works on mine without performing step 0
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

webminster

Post by webminster » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:41 pm

@STC, weird, garyan2 and I had some discussion a week ago about it, probably due to rovi data pollution. As I recall, you mentioned in different thread you didn't do step 0 exactly, but you removed the mcepg databases in safe mode beforehand... true?
-Alan

STC

Post by STC » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:21 pm

Yep, I removed the mcepg DBs and folders, for which I had two. I can understand there being pollution if you don't do that as you'd be mixing both up.

I did not uninstall and reinstall WMC. I am referring to step 0 here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 38#p101638

STC

Post by STC » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:32 pm

So yes sorry, to clarify, I did not perform the remove/reinstall WMC part of step 0. I wished to retain WMC config.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:43 pm

webminster wrote:@STC, weird, garyan2 and I had some discussion a week ago about it, probably due to rovi data pollution. As I recall, you mentioned in different thread you didn't do step 0 exactly, but you removed the mcepg databases in safe mode beforehand... true?
STC wrote:Yep, I removed the mcepg DBs and folders, for which I had two. I can understand there being pollution if you don't do that as you'd be mixing both up.

I did not uninstall and reinstall WMC. I am referring to step 0 here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 38#p101638
STC wrote:So yes sorry, to clarify, I did not perform the remove/reinstall WMC part of step 0. I wished to retain WMC config.
I know I read about doing this somewhere, maybe on the Gary's website in the instructions, but for the life of me cannot find it now.

Where do you find these files and folders?

I'm getting ready to take the plunge and want to make sure I understand all that is involved here while preserving my WMC configuration.

BTW, how long does this take? I want to plan accordingly as my time is limited. That is why I'm asking so many questions up front.

Also, since I'm not home much but do have over an hour on a train each way each day I can remote in via RDP or Teamviewer to do this. How much of this can be accomplished remotely?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:05 am

Sammy2 wrote:I'm getting ready to take the plunge and want to make sure I understand all that is involved here while preserving my WMC configuration.

BTW, how long does this take? I want to plan accordingly as my time is limited. That is why I'm asking so many questions up front.

Also, since I'm not home much but do have over an hour on a train each way each day I can remote in via RDP or Teamviewer to do this. How much of this can be accomplished remotely?
The procedure takes about 15 minutes plus a variable amount of time to re-add series recordings. Take a snapshot of your system before starting in case something gets hosed.

You cannot run Live TV setup from a Remote Desktop session. I don't know if you can run the setup through Teamviewer.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:20 am

Scallica wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:I'm getting ready to take the plunge and want to make sure I understand all that is involved here while preserving my WMC configuration.

The procedure takes about 15 minutes plus a variable amount of time to re-add series recordings. Take a snapshot of your system before starting in case something gets hosed.

You cannot run Live TV setup from a Remote Desktop session. I don't know if you can run the setup through Teamviewer.
Looks like I need to block out some time tomorrow morning. My biggest issue is borking things then having to leave for work with a broken system.

With the exception of CCI copy protected content, WMC is mostly functional through Teamviewer although sometimes the video carps out after a random period of time.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:34 am

The folder is C:\Program Data\Microsoft\eHome

The files & folders people are deleting (without having to do the Uninstall & Reinstall WMC is the mcepg*.db file(s) & the folder(s) of the same name. I usually found this easiest to delete these under safe mode.

Sammy2 wrote:
webminster wrote:@STC, weird, garyan2 and I had some discussion a week ago about it, probably due to rovi data pollution. As I recall, you mentioned in different thread you didn't do step 0 exactly, but you removed the mcepg databases in safe mode beforehand... true?
STC wrote:Yep, I removed the mcepg DBs and folders, for which I had two. I can understand there being pollution if you don't do that as you'd be mixing both up.

STC wrote:So yes sorry, to clarify, I did not perform the remove/reinstall WMC part of step 0. I wished to retain WMC config.
I know I read about doing this somewhere, maybe on the Gary's website in the instructions, but for the life of me cannot find it now.

Where do you find these files and folders?

I'm getting ready to take the plunge and want to make sure I understand all that is involved here while preserving my WMC configuration.