EPG123 Bug Reports

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by garyan2 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:53 pm

Not so sure about that, I get the same error occasionally. Probably going to move to calling ehPrivJob instead of the scheduled task like you kinda suggested way back when. :)
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

STC

Post by STC » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:54 pm

You used the Wayback?!
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

glorp

Post by glorp » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:59 pm

garyan2 wrote:Not so sure about that, I get the same error occasionally.
Interesting. I have never produced that error.

Do you ever test from a non-Admin Windows account? ehPrivJpob's scheduled task runs as SYSTEM.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:09 pm

STC wrote:You used the Wayback?!
You know it's going to be an interesting morning when someone starts quoting Mr. Peabody. :lol:
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:12 pm

glorp wrote:
garyan2 wrote:Not so sure about that, I get the same error occasionally.
Interesting. I have never produced that error.

Do you ever test from a non-Admin Windows account? ehPrivJpob's scheduled task runs as SYSTEM.
No, pretty much all my testing is on local admin accounts. I always figured I was doing so many rapid checks that it was due to the task still running from the last "update."
- Gary

glorp

Post by glorp » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:19 pm

garyan2 wrote:No, pretty much all my testing is on local admin accounts. I always figured I was doing so many rapid checks that it was due to the task still running from the last "update."
OK well 2 things as food-for-thought then,

People will have trouble removing the ehome directory if they aren't Admin
Careful about running tasks from tasks or even executing some of those media center executables. Worth checking permissions for those and at least noting some if it in instructions. Either that or make sure you get them to create the scheduled task as an Admin user and possibly even with password (I suspect this latter will be absolutely necessary for the Whole Home option).

I'll leave you alone. You probably have bigger fish to fry right now. :D

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:29 pm

If it matters I am running from an Admin account.

glorp

Post by glorp » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:54 pm

3rob3 wrote:If it matters I am running from an Admin account.
If you have Task Scheduler History enabled I have one suggestion: Start up Scheduled Tasks console and navigate to:
Library>Microsoft>Windows>Media Center>ReindexSearchRoot.
Select that task. Look in that History tab (below) for any errors and report them as it may give a clue what the error was. There may not be any errors though. Could be something else from the epg123 code. Also if you don't have history enabled there won't be anything there in the tab. You might want to enable history but it's all or nothing for all scheduled tasks and won't show anything useful until the task runs/fails again. Click the left pane "Task Scheduler (Local)" entry. Under Task Scheduler's top menu "Action" now there should be an option to enable history.

ED: Since garyan2 says it's intermittent if you want to force a reindex so it's working until the next day, just rerun epg123 update ... or run that ReindexSearchRoot task manually from Task Scheduler.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:04 pm

History was not enabled so I enabled it. Executed EPG123 and it ran without that reindex error (of course). I am now able to find that show doing a search also. I will keep History enabled for now in case this happens again and will post if anything shows up there.

glorp

Post by glorp » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:37 pm

Trouble in paradise.

Added 0.9.1 epg123.exe and epgAutomatch.exe from the .7z for Win8 to my Server Essentials 2012 R2 box so this one does not have a WMC installation. Had been running 0.7.6 on it for last week with no problems. Ran 0.9.1 program. Command window pops up briefly. GUI never appears. FWIW, I did not change the Newtonsoft.JSON.dll and I'm using NET45 one from previous install. It appears you have NET40 in the zip. [ED: Newtonsoft dll version doesn't matter]

Only log entry:

Code: Select all

[3/28/2016 8:32:04 AM] [ERROR] Unhandled exception caught from main program. message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Behavior and error are repeatable.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:50 pm

glorp wrote:Trouble in paradise.

Added 0.9.1 epg123.exe and epgAutomatch.exe from the .7z for Win8 to my Server Essentials 2012 R2 box so this one does not have a WMC installation. Had been running 0.7.6 on it for last week with no problems. Ran 0.9.1 program. Command window pops up briefly. GUI never appears. FWIW, I did not change the Newtonsoft.JSON.dll and I'm using NET45 one from previous install. It appears you have NET40 in the zip. [ED: Newtonsoft dll version doesn't matter]

Only log entry:

[3/28/2016 8:32:04 AM] [ERROR] Unhandled exception caught from main program. message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Behavior and error are repeatable.
Where in the process did the error occur? On the server you will not be able to use the automatch feature ... it is looking for the WMC database file.

EDIT: Should have read more carefully ... the GUI did not appear? This may be a leftover from v0.9.0 which required a epg123.exe.config file ... I'll throw this on my server and give it a go to isolate.
- Gary

glorp

Post by glorp » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:14 pm

garyan2 wrote:EDIT: Should have read more carefully ... the GUI did not appear? This may be a leftover from v0.9.0 which required a epg123.exe.config file ... I'll throw this on my server and give it a go to isolate.
Correct. Command window pops up, closes, end. Error is logged. I'm running from GUI as NT Administrator so as much privlege as possible. This server does not have desktop installed however. I reverted to 0.7.6 which works again as before (didn't run Execute but it pulls up GUI and logs in to SD, sees sched task, etc.)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:24 pm

glorp wrote:
garyan2 wrote:EDIT: Should have read more carefully ... the GUI did not appear? This may be a leftover from v0.9.0 which required a epg123.exe.config file ... I'll throw this on my server and give it a go to isolate.
Correct. Command window pops up, closes, end. Error is logged. I'm running from GUI as NT Administrator so as much privlege as possible. This server does not have desktop installed however. I reverted to 0.7.6 which works again as before (didn't run Execute but it pulls up GUI and logs in to SD, sees sched task, etc.)
I think I just realized what it is ... I'm trying to check and write to registry entries that don't exist. That will be easy enough to fix and allow this to work on a server.
- Gary

glorp

Post by glorp » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:31 pm

garyan2 wrote:
glorp wrote:
I think I just realized what it is ... I'm trying to check and write to registry entries that don't exist. That will be easy enough to fix and allow this to work on a server.
That's kind of what I suspected. Either that or insufficient permissions to read Task Scheduler tasks suddenly. I can run a test version with call tracing if you can produce it.

glorp

Post by glorp » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:36 am

I just noticed this in the Windows Event Log from the runs today.

NET Runtime, EventID 1026

Application: epg123.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
Stack:
   at epg123.Program.Main(System.String[])

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:35 am

glorp wrote:I just noticed this in the Windows Event Log from the runs today.

NET Runtime, EventID 1026

Application: epg123.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
Stack:
   at epg123.Program.Main(System.String[])
Expected based on the information from this morning...but I got a surprise for you. I went ahead and added a single line to the code to correct this for you. Since it is so minor, I'm not going to "release" it, but the version number is v0.9.1.glorp ... you've been immortalized! :clap:

Give it a shot to see if it works.
Attachments
epg123_v0.9.1.glorp.7z
(81.4 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
- Gary

glorp

Post by glorp » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:39 am

LOL. Yikes! But thanks very much for fix. Will give it a try right now and a full data pull run tomorrow.

I realized from your very first comment about this today that I won't get the advantage of channel mapping until you actually implement Whole Home so schedules can be loaded from the epg123 app on the clients and it can do other things there. No big deal to me but I can see how new features might become difficult to do in client/server mode now.

ED: Up and running again. Thanks! You earned your paycheck for the day :)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:48 am

Gonna tell you a little secret ... the epgAutomatch.exe is standalone and handles that function all by itself. I'm thinking on the client side, you would just need a script for loadmxf followed by "epgAutomatch.exe -match".

This is a possible route for the Whole Home configuration. I guess another possibility would be to push the loadmxf function into epgAutomatch as well ... bingo ...
- Gary

glorp

Post by glorp » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:02 am

garyan2 wrote:I guess another possibility would be to push the loadmxf function into epgAutomatch as well ... bingo ...
I think this is what you should do if you want to keep the two exes separate. Not sure exactly why that's an advantage rather than just encapsulate it all into one epg123 app, but that's your call. All you would need are appropriate switches and let the user define which steps to force by including them:

-update, -load, -reindex, -match
A server would do -update, a client would do -load -remindex -match. A non server/client install would be all 4.

What is really valuable is a log that can track all the steps. Right now I can't really tell if the load and reindex occurred on clients without actually going to the machine, pulling up WMC, checking the schedule, the task logs, etc. So I would avoid any solution that has the user running batch/cmd files or running those steps from scheduled tasks (other than launching an app of yours).

glorp

Post by glorp » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:33 am

This right, for now? Or does the match occur between the load and reindex ? And before you say anything my sched task on each client sets the default directory to the epg123 location. :)

@ECHO OFF
ECHO Importing guide data
START /WAIT %SYSTEMROOT%\ehome\loadmxf.exe -i \\WSE\Backups\epg123\epg123.mxf

ECHO Initializing the reindex task of the guide data
START /WAIT schtasks.exe /run /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\ReindexSearchRoot"

ECHO Beginning channel match
START /WAIT epgAutomatch.exe -match

EXIT