Introducing EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
NoogMan

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by NoogMan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:18 am

this looks awesome! The Rovi channel lineup for our provider suddenly lost ALL of our HD channels, and about 100 other channels (over 200 gone in an instant). Signed up with SD, and the lineup looks perfect like it "should" be with Rovi. You mentioned creating a task for this to update daily? Does it retrieve the information daily "automatically", or is there something we'll need to do manually?

I've gotta say, you did a bang up job....you may have saved the WMC planet!

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:00 am

Thank you for this.

I tried using this on a secondary system I have setup with WMC. I started with STEP 1 - WMC Tuner Setup.

When I select "Do Not Agree" to guide service, it doesn't ask me what cable lineup I want to use & If I let it go all the way thru, when I try to edit the guide, it shows I have over 10K channels.

I'm assuming for this to work, I need to (at a minimum) be able to select the channel line up?

Also is their a particular version of the JSON that needs to be downloaded?

When I go to the site http://www.newtonsoft.com/json & select download, it asks if I want to select direct download or VS Package management.
I selected direct download & selected Json80r2.zip

I uncompressed it & moved the uncompressed folder (Json80r2) to the same folder as EPG123, but received the error message below.

I even tried moving "Newton.json.dll", "Newtonsoft.dson.pdb" & "Newtonsoft.json.xml" to the root epg123 folder & still receiving the error below

I was able to avoid not seeing the following error, by copying the 3 files I mentioned above to the C:\Windows\System32 folder

Code: Select all

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed'
   at epg123.sdApi.SdApi.sdGetToken(String username, String passwordHash)
   at epg123.ConfigForm.loginUser()
   at epg123.ConfigForm.btnLogin_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
epg123
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/epg123/epg123.exe
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34281 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34239 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34250 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.36337 built by: FX452RTMLDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:27 am

Can a header sort be added for the channel line up?

After I was able to see the channel line up I selected with SD? I noticed it was all of the channels & not the ones I selected on SD's site itself. It would make it easier to select the channels if I could sort by channel number

Thanks!!

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:54 pm

If we can get a stable and supported alternative to Microsoft's built-in program guide service, that would eliminate one of the two areas that could cause WMC to stop working in the future - and extend the life of WMC beyond when Microsoft decides to shutdown the program guide support. [The other area is the Xbox 360 extenders - and hopefully existing extenders will continue to work after Microsoft stops their Xbox 360/live support.]

Does the program guide have "release date" for movies? Beyond the inconsistent program descriptions, the Rovi guide also lacks the release date - which broke WMC's "movie" view so that you can no longer sort movies by release date (and see the most recently released movies).

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:18 pm

choliscott wrote:Thank you for this.

I tried using this on a secondary system I have setup with WMC. I started with STEP 1 - WMC Tuner Setup.

When I select "Do Not Agree" to guide service, it doesn't ask me what cable lineup I want to use & If I let it go all the way thru, when I try to edit the guide, it shows I have over 10K channels.

I'm assuming for this to work, I need to (at a minimum) be able to select the channel line up?

Also is their a particular version of the JSON that needs to be downloaded?

When I go to the site http://www.newtonsoft.com/json & select download, it asks if I want to select direct download or VS Package management.
I selected direct download & selected Json80r2.zip

I uncompressed it & moved the uncompressed folder (Json80r2) to the same folder as EPG123, but received the error message below.

I even tried moving "Newton.json.dll", "Newtonsoft.dson.pdb" & "Newtonsoft.json.xml" to the root epg123 folder & still receiving the error below

I was able to avoid not seeing the following error, by copying the 3 files I mentioned above to the C:\Windows\System32 folder
Since we do not download the program guide information from microsoft, there will be no selection of a cable lineup. At this point, the only thing WMC knows is what transport your channels are on (ATSC/Cable/Satellite). Don't know why you would have 10k channels, but it doesn't hurt anything ... will just involve more cleanup.

For Json, use the direct download link from Newtonsoft. We only need the file "Newtonsoft.Json.dll" from the Bin\Net45 directory in the zip file. Do you have the .NET 4.5.2 or 4.6.1 framework installed on your computer? What OS are you running? May be a difference there. Since the Bin\Net45 file didn't work in the EPG directory, maybe try any of the other versions (Bin\Net40).
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:22 pm

choliscott wrote:Can a header sort be added for the channel line up?

After I was able to see the channel line up I selected with SD? I noticed it was all of the channels & not the ones I selected on SD's site itself. It would make it easier to select the channels if I could sort by channel number

Thanks!!
The sort is in the plans, just wasn't motivated enough to do the code for it. Future versions will have it.

The downfall of the SD-JSON service is it doesn't store the channels you selected on the site ... only the xml service does that. I have thought about using both services (xml for the selected stations, and json for the rich metadata), but don't know if the xml service is going to stick around.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:25 pm

bob_p wrote:If we can get a stable and supported alternative to Microsoft's built-in program guide service, that would eliminate one of the two areas that could cause WMC to stop working in the future - and extend the life of WMC beyond when Microsoft decides to shutdown the program guide support. [The other area is the Xbox 360 extenders - and hopefully existing extenders will continue to work after Microsoft stops their Xbox 360/live support.]

Does the program guide have "release date" for movies? Beyond the inconsistent program descriptions, the Rovi guide also lacks the release date - which broke WMC's "movie" view so that you can no longer sort movies by release date (and see the most recently released movies).
Metadata contains the year of release, and the additional data from AMG(Rovi) will work (adds review, character roles, ...). You will notice too that the cover art is much superior to what Rovi is providing.
- Gary

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:05 pm

Garyan,

This looks very interesting, and I will be checking it out.

I currently use Schedules Direct (xml service) with Big Screen EPG. I haven't been able to figure out how to implement the JSON info.
Overall, Big Screeen EPG is very good, but has a few things that don't work (e.g. Tonight show becomes a generic description after 7 days); not all movie metadata is provided as you mentioned; Some TV series don't have any "original air date" so that recording the series puts EVERY instance of the show in the queue including all repeats.

I've also been using Lineup Selector to avoid manually editing the guide listings in WMC to pair each channel with the proper listing. It sounds like EPG123 will do this as well.

Regarding other issues mentioned here:

1. 10k channels
I have had the same issue using cablecard and not selecting a specific lineup in TV setup. I use Guide Tool to remove unneeded channels.

2. Saying "No" to Guide terms of service
Thanks for the fix for this. I tried this in the past and it wouldn't let me use ANY guide at all. As a user of Schedules Direct, I find that any interaction with the Microsoft Guide downloads messes up the guide from Schedules Direct.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:35 pm

NoogMan wrote:this looks awesome! The Rovi channel lineup for our provider suddenly lost ALL of our HD channels, and about 100 other channels (over 200 gone in an instant). Signed up with SD, and the lineup looks perfect like it "should" be with Rovi. You mentioned creating a task for this to update daily? Does it retrieve the information daily "automatically", or is there something we'll need to do manually?

I've gotta say, you did a bang up job....you may have saved the WMC planet!
Right now, setting up the task is a manual process. I'll post the steps, or create a script later tonight. May be a future feature added to the program.
- Gary

STC

Post by STC » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:02 pm

Looks like you have some developing ahead! I certainly recommend anyone putting the code into production to donate! I should be playing with this in a test enviro in the next week or so.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:20 pm

The downfall of the SD-JSON service is it doesn't store the channels you selected on the site ... only the xml service does that. I have thought about using both services (xml for the selected stations, and json for the rich metadata), but don't know if the xml service is going to stick around.
The JSON service isn't going to store channels. If you don't want a channel, then hide it in your local guide and don't request the information for that channel. (It makes it much simpler on the service side and on the client side - there's only one point of administration - your client.)

NoogMan

Post by NoogMan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:01 pm

I'm trying buddy, but I'm getting errors. I have .net 4.6.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at epg123.ConfigForm.getLineupChannels()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

mscorlib
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1055.0 built by: NETFXREL2
epg123
    CodeBase: file:///C:/EPG123/epg123.exe
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
Newtonsoft.Json
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.2.19309
    CodeBase: file:///C:/EPG123/Newtonsoft.Json.DLL
System.Numerics
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
System.Runtime.Serialization
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
System.Xml.Linq
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
</configuration>

NoogMan

Post by NoogMan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:17 pm

I've uninstalled 4.6 of .net, and am currently installing 4.5....will try again to login to SD.

NoogMan

Post by NoogMan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:26 pm

Tried 4.5..........still errors while trying to login:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at epg123.ConfigForm.getLineupChannels()

mscorlib
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
epg123
    CodeBase: file:///C:/EPG123/epg123.exe
System.Xml
System
System.Windows.Forms
System.Drawing
System.Core
Newtonsoft.Json
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.2.19309
    CodeBase: file:///C:/EPG123/Newtonsoft.Json.DLL
System.Configuration
System.Numerics
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
System.Runtime.Serialization
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
System.Xml.Linq
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
</configuration>

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:33 pm

I've enabled debugging on your account. Please send me an email at rkulagow @ gmail.com and I can pull the logs and send them to garyan2.

Have you added a lineup to the JSON service? (it doesn't look like you have) The two services share an authentication database, but not lineups because the JSON service has a completely different backend. Adding a lineup through the website is only for the XML service. Again, everything on the JSON service is through the API because then there's only one point of administration - the client.

@garyan2: you mentioned that you had used Emby, so if the epg123 client doesn't have a "add lineup" functionality then your tests might be working because you had already added lineups with the emby client, and @NoogMan isn't working because they haven't used the JSON service before.

NoogMan

Post by NoogMan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:11 pm

rkulagow wrote:I've enabled debugging on your account. Please send me an email at rkulagow @ gmail.com and I can pull the logs and send them to garyan2.

Have you added a lineup to the JSON service? (it doesn't look like you have) The two services share an authentication database, but not lineups because the JSON service has a completely different backend. Adding a lineup through the website is only for the XML service. Again, everything on the JSON service is through the API because then there's only one point of administration - the client.

@garyan2: you mentioned that you had used Emby, so if the epg123 client doesn't have a "add lineup" functionality then your tests might be working because you had already added lineups with the emby client, and @NoogMan isn't working because they haven't used the JSON service before.
I emailed you....have not added a lineup on JSON.....maybe that was the issue. Let me figure that one out....

NoogMan

Post by NoogMan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:20 pm

rkulagow wrote:I've enabled debugging on your account. Please send me an email at rkulagow @ gmail.com and I can pull the logs and send them to garyan2.

Yep, how do I import a list from the JSON service? Totally lost me on this part!

Craig

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:27 pm

Now that is good information. I wasn't planning on adding the capability to add or remove lineups from my client, but now it looks like that will be necessary. Something that will take me a little while to incorporate.

Sorry for not anticipating this and will get something out as soon as possible.
- Gary

NoogMan

Post by NoogMan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:47 pm

garyan2 wrote:

Now that is good information. I wasn't planning on adding the capability to add or remove lineups from my client, but now it looks like that will be necessary. Something that will take me a little while to incorporate.

Sorry for not anticipating this and will get something out as soon as possible.
Ok, so should I re-do my old channel lineup through the TV setup process until you resolve it on the software end, or is there any way for me to generate the lineup for the Json service and test this out? The wife is giving me the evil stare as I sit here idle with no TV....lol!

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:49 pm

Check the email I just sent you. Your JSON account should be OK now, but I don't know what you need to do on the EPG123 client.