Introducing EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
McGary

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by McGary » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:51 pm

Space wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:46 am OAD's from Rovi were often wrong anyway, so is it worse to not have them or to have incorrect ones?
I noticed on the quoted post you had a link to "WMC Guide days without incident" ==> is this how many days it's been since EPG guide data wasn't available from Schedules Direct? If so, that's a very impressive number -- it shows over 2 years since the last issue :D

McGary

Post by McGary » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:57 pm

Status bug question:

Since I purchased a year's subscription with Schedules Direct, my bug changed from yellow to green, as expected.
But it also has a little green cross to the right and slightly above the symbol. Is that simply how it's displayed, or does that extra symbol mean something? It wasn't there when the bug was yellow.

Both pages shown below just as a reference …
The attachment WMC wEPG.jpg is no longer available
WMC wEPG.jpg
Green status with cross

McGary

Post by McGary » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:59 pm

The 2nd pay didn't display on my post … but it was just the earlier one I posted when I first asked about the symbol (it had the yellow symbol, since I hadn't yet paid for Schedules Direct)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:18 pm

The '+' symbol added to the status logo is simply saying there is an update available.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

McGary

Post by McGary » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:26 pm

Ahh … makes sense. I couldn't find that info in the docs, however -- it's probably there somewhere & I just missed it.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:26 pm

McGary wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:51 pm
Space wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:46 am OAD's from Rovi were often wrong anyway, so is it worse to not have them or to have incorrect ones?
I noticed on the quoted post you had a link to "WMC Guide days without incident" ==> is this how many days it's been since EPG guide data wasn't available from Schedules Direct? If so, that's a very impressive number -- it shows over 2 years since the last issue :D
No, that's the Microsoft/Rovi guide, I haven't updated it, so it is not accurate. Although it has been pretty good until recently. I guess I'll remove it from the signature as it was really more of a joke then anything else (and the guide is going away).
Last edited by Space on Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McGary

Post by McGary » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:29 pm

I never dreamed it would apply to the Microsoft/Rovi guide, as clearly there have been MANY issues with it the past few years !!
You're certainly right that the page is NOT accurate :-)

Space

Post by Space » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:35 pm

McGary wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:29 pm I never dreamed it would apply to the Microsoft/Rovi guide, as clearly there have been MANY issues with it the past few years !!
You're certainly right that the page is NOT accurate :-)
It was actually pretty good there for a while as far as the guide being updated regularly (no more than a few days missed), at least compared to how it had been, but it has had it's issues more recently. Anyway, not a discussion for this thread.

Michael3442

Post by Michael3442 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:42 pm

Days later I'm still working on this. I have one computer that is used for WMC, Netflix and little more. My tuner is a HD Homerun 2 tuner device. When I start setting this up should I set it up as a client or do I need to set it up as a server or full mode or something other than client? Having tried 3 installs as client and having it not complete, I'm going back to square one with my questions. Thanks.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:08 pm

EPG123 is broken in to two parts. The first part is the server that creates the MXF file which contains all your guide listings, and the second is the client which imports that file into WMC. So using just your 1 computer, you want to do the Full Install (both server and client). This will basically follow the video on the website. Download and install the latest version v1.3.2.30.

If you do not have a DVR Service subscription with SiliconDust, do not select to install the 'HDHR2MXF for SiliconDust HDHR DVR Service' component.
- Gary

Michael3442

Post by Michael3442 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:46 am

Thanks Gary. At 14 sec. on the video it shows epg having just been downloaded and installed with the final step being to select one (or both?) of two check boxes, one for Launch EPG123 (server option?) and the other for Launch EPG123 Client; the video shows only the client being selected. So, having only one HTPC would I check both options at the same time or just the first one or just the second one? Since for my 3 attempts at an install I only checked the client option (I'm not serving anything to any other computer) this must be where I got derailed. Again, do I select both options at the same time?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:20 am

No, just select the Client option. This is to open the client with elevated privileges so you can immediately start a Client Setup.
- Gary

McGary

Post by McGary » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:42 pm

garyan2 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:18 pm The '+' symbol added to the status logo is simply saying there is an update available.
Nice info. Immediately after I saw your response, I went ahead and updated to the newest release [I had installed using v1.3.1.10; I then updated to v1.3.2.10]. Nothing changed after I did the update -- the "+" sign was still there; but I assumed it would go away after the next update overnight (which I have scheduled for 3:15). And it did -- the "+" disappeared as expected.

… HOWEVER … I noticed yesterday that there have now been two more updates !! Apparently a v1.3.2.20 and then a v1.3.2.30. So my question now is why isn't my little symbol showing the "+" sign again ?? :D :D

Clearly this is NOT an issue in any way --- just curious if the "+" display is "smart" and only shows if a newer version actually changes something you're using. [As I understand it, the v1.3.2.20 and v1.3.2.30 versions only applied to the new HDHR2MXF component, which I do not have installed] Or perhaps it's only if the 3rd number changes [I.e the "2" in v1.3.2.xx]. I presume there is NO reason for me to update to v1.3.2.30 -- but at the same time it wouldn't hurt anything to do so.

Michael3442

Post by Michael3442 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:34 pm

garyan2 wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:08 pm EPG123 is broken into two parts. The first part is the server that creates the MXF file which contains all your guide listings, and the second is the client which imports that file into WMC. So using just your 1 computer, you want to do the Full Install (both server and client). This will basically follow the video on the website. Download and install the latest version v1.3.2.30
Gary, sorry for being so dense about this and thanks for your help. In your above reply you say with my 1 computer I should do the Full install both server and client. But in your next reply you say I should do only the client install. When the video comes to the screen {approx. 14 sec} showing checkboxes for EPG123 (is this the server install?) and another for EPG123 Client, your first comment seems to suggest I do a full install checking both boxes (server & client?). However your next post says to only do the Client install. I'm confused.

McGary

Post by McGary » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:41 pm

Note that in the video (at the 14 second point), you click on "Client Setup" to run the client and do the install => but the MODE is set to do a full install (look at the top left of the display, where "Full Mode" is checked.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:09 pm

After posting that, I thought it might be confusing. Let's ignore the Server/Client designations for a moment.

epg123.exe creates the MXF file to be imported into any WMC. It can be run on WinXP, Win7, Win8, Win10, Server 2008+, whatever. It has no interaction with WMC and doesn't need WMC to be present to do its job.

epg123Client.exe is all about WMC and importing that MXF file into WMC. When you run the [Client Setup], Steps 1 & 2 are prepping WMC to accept that MXF file, being able to see the guide, and a slew of other things necessary for a total experience. It doesn't know anything about the MXF file, where it came from, or how complete it is. Takeaway is for every WMC, you need a epg123Client.exe.

Point is they live completely separate lives and are only associated with each other by the MXF file that one creates and the other receives.

On a stand-alone station, it is necessary to have both epg123.exe and epg123Client.exe. That is a Full Install. The checkboxes you see at 00:00:14 is just asking if you want to start one of the programs when the setup program closes. You could leave the both unchecked, or check both of them and it will still work... but you will always have to start with the [Client Setup] button in epg123Client.exe.

[ epg123.exe = Server ; epg123Client.exe = Client]
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:08 pm

McGary wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:42 pmClearly this is NOT an issue in any way --- just curious if the "+" display is "smart" and only shows if a newer version actually changes something you're using. [As I understand it, the v1.3.2.20 and v1.3.2.30 versions only applied to the new HDHR2MXF component, which I do not have installed] Or perhaps it's only if the 3rd number changes [I.e the "2" in v1.3.2.xx]. I presume there is NO reason for me to update to v1.3.2.30 -- but at the same time it wouldn't hurt anything to do so.
I've tried to remain consistent on this, but the version check is only on the first 3 numbers while I use the 4th number to be an update of minor importance that only affects a small number of people. So the changes to HDHR2MXF program, currently used by a very small group, have no impact to the core users of EPG123 and they will not benefit from the update... so I don't tell them there is an update available.
- Gary

McGary

Post by McGary » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:11 pm

garyan2 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:08 pm I've tried to remain consistent on this, but the version check is only on the first 3 numbers while I use the 4th number to be an update of minor importance that only affects a small number of people. So the changes to HDHR2MXF program, currently used by a very small group, have no impact to the core users of EPG123 and they will not benefit from the update... so I don't tell them there is an update available.
I assumed as much -- just wanted to confirm. I REALLY like EPG123 -- can't believe I didn't switch to it a couple years ago :D

Michael3442

Post by Michael3442 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:20 pm

Gary, your reply in #1716 says: "On a stand-alone station, it is necessary to have both epg123.exe and epg123Client.exe. That is a Full Install. The checkboxes you see at 00:00:14 is just asking if you want to start one of the programs when the setup program closes. You could leave the both unchecked, or check both of them and it will still work... but you will always have to start with the [Client Setup] button in epg123Client.exe."

Still confused. Don't I have to create the MXF file (by running epg123.exe) prior to running epg123Client.exe and punching the Client Setup button? I don't understand why I would run the Client Setup first if the MXF file has not yet been created. (Again thanks for your patience.)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:48 pm

Michael3442 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:20 pm Gary, your reply in #1716 says: "On a stand-alone station, it is necessary to have both epg123.exe and epg123Client.exe. That is a Full Install. The checkboxes you see at 00:00:14 is just asking if you want to start one of the programs when the setup program closes. You could leave the both unchecked, or check both of them and it will still work... but you will always have to start with the [Client Setup] button in epg123Client.exe."

Still confused. Don't I have to create the MXF file (by running epg123.exe) prior to running epg123Client.exe and punching the Client Setup button? I don't understand why I would run the Client Setup first if the MXF file has not yet been created. (Again thanks for your patience.)
The creation of the MXF file in the Client Setup is covered in Step 3. Like I said, Steps 1 and 2 are just prepping WMC for import of that MXF file. It is critical that a WMC TV Setup is performed prior to importing the guide MXF or you will 'brick' the database and will have to start over. Don't worry, the client has checks for this and won't let you do it unless you force it. You could certainly create the MXF file prior to running the client if that makes you feel better, it won't harm anything. It will make Step 3 a lot quicker since everything is already downloaded, cached, and ready to go.
- Gary