Introducing EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Michael3442

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Michael3442 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:23 pm

OK, I made it through the entire process and when it came to the last step, to create a Scheduled Task, my Client Guide Tool page was empty on both sides. Is this normal? I scheduled it to run at 2 a.m. so it hasn't run yet but this blank page has me a little concerned.

Michael3442

Post by Michael3442 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:12 pm

Continuing from above, I opened WMC and have only 3 channels listed when I should have around 20. The program guide is listed in WMC's About page with EPG123 v1.3.2 listed. Next I downloaded the latest guide listings from within WMC but nothing else was added. Sorry to be a pest, but what does this mean and how do I correct it?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:24 pm

Michael3442 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:23 pm OK, I made it through the entire process and when it came to the last step, to create a Scheduled Task, my Client Guide Tool page was empty on both sides. Is this normal? I scheduled it to run at 2 a.m. so it hasn't run yet but this blank page has me a little concerned.
This happens sometimes for a [Client Setup]. At the end, it sometimes can't reconnect with the database. If you close it and open it back up again, you should see both sides populated.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:25 pm

Michael3442 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:12 pm Continuing from above, I opened WMC and have only 3 channels listed when I should have around 20. The program guide is listed in WMC's About page with EPG123 v1.3.2 listed. Next I downloaded the latest guide listings from within WMC but nothing else was added. Sorry to be a pest, but what does this mean and how do I correct it?
The button to "download latest guide listings" is not longer functional within WMC... it was only for the MS/Rovi guide. Please send me your trace.log file to support@garyan2.net. The file is located at C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\trace.log .
- Gary

o2cats

Post by o2cats » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:00 pm

I have a problem setting up SD on EPG123. When I enter my login information, I receive the message "Message Invalid username, or token has expired.Response INVALID_USER" The username matches what I entered, and was returned in the welcome e-mail from SD. To check, I re-entered the login information directly into the SD site, and it logged me in without issues. I went back to EPG123, and re-entered the login information, but it locked me out for too many login attempts. I waited the 15 minutes, but received the same INVALID_USER error.

I did not post in the issue/bug thread assuming this was my error.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:58 pm

Could you check the trace.log file ( [View Log] ) to see what the server response was exactly? I wonder if it takes some time for the account to be created on the JSON server after signing up.

EDIT: sorry, I think you already included that information in your post.
- Gary

BenSanford

Post by BenSanford » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:52 pm

I'm trying to set this up, but the first thing it is asking for is my Schedules Direct Account. I sent in a $25 contribution, but haven't received any notification regarding the account which I figured would come in an email fairly quickly.
Ben Sanford
Falls Church, VA

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:19 pm

Ben, you donated to EPG123 which is free. To get the guide listings, you need a membership to Schedules Direct. PM me if you want me to return the money.
- Gary

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:24 am

BenSanford wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:52 pm I'm trying to set this up, but the first thing it is asking for is my Schedules Direct Account. I sent in a $25 contribution, but haven't received any notification regarding the account which I figured would come in an email fairly quickly.
https://www.schedulesdirect.org/signup
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Space

Post by Space » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:19 am

Ben, you just need to head over to https://www.schedulesdirect.org/signup and sign up for a Schedules Direct account. You get to use it for free for 7 days, so this should be enough time for you to get everything up and working.

As Gary stated, you need to pay Schedules Direct for the service (after the free 7 days), not Gary. Gary was just kind enough to make the excellent EPG123 product that allows you to retrieve data from Schedules Direct, manipulate the data so that it is usable by WMC, and then import it in to WMC.

Note that EPG123 is FREE, there is no need to send Gary any money to use his product. Of course, if you feel like it, you can donate to compensate him for his time and effort, both for his support here on the forums and for his work on EPG123.

Just a little more information on "Schedules Direct":

They are not a business, they are a non-profit organization that is providing a service. They DO get their TV scheduling data from a business however (Gracenote now owned by Nielsen Holdings) and they charge a fee to provide this data. So the $25/year you pay to Schedules Direct goes mainly towards this fee as well as the other expenses they have to maintain their servers. I believe many of the people involved are volunteers and are not being payed, although some people are paid reasonable fees to keep the service running.
Last edited by Space on Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenSanford

Post by BenSanford » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:27 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I stumbled through the setup - extra steps to enable 2 OTA tuners along with the 4 cable tuners, and it all appears to work. A $25 contribution to Schedules direct and $25 to Gary for all his work is fine with me
Ben Sanford
Falls Church, VA

o2cats

Post by o2cats » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:17 am

I have a usage question. I set up a full install, and 2 client installs. I was not able to locate the .mxf file on the system with the full install, so that it can be copied by the client systems.

Is the proper setup to use server on the main system, and then client on all 3 systems?

Thanks

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:26 am

Your setup is correct with 1 Full and the rest Clients. On the stations with the Full install, you need to share the output folder on the network so the clients can pull it. The output folder is default C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\output. Your client tasks will also need to have the proper user/password credentials to access the shared folder.
- Gary

o2cats

Post by o2cats » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:36 am

I did a search for .mxf files, but forgot to turn on hidden files, so I could see in the ProgramData folder. I rushed back to delete my post, but you were just too fast. I do not know how you can keep up with all of this?

Thanks

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:38 am

I don't know either, but I am getting a bit worn out. Maybe tomorrow I'll get to take a rest.
- Gary

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:53 am

Hey Gary, just wanted to let you know I installed EPG123 over the weekend and it's been working fine so far.

You're doing a great job, especially with this New Years Eve tech support you're providing. :clap:

Space

Post by Space » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:23 am

One of the reasons I am holding off on installing EPG123 is to not get lost in all the posts here if I have a problem. So much activity here, your support is amazing, Gary!

Hopefully you will still be around in a couple days when I do my install (although I don't expect to have any problems to which I don't already know the solution ;-)).

Stagecrasher

Post by Stagecrasher » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:20 am

Please help. I am new to this asking for help in a format with which I'm unfamiliar. Like many of you, I lost the guide and my normal activities, as I've been watching TV and almost everything else through WMC since I came back from Iraq in 2007. While there, I learned about all these possibilities with media. I came back with about 5,000 movies and 80,000 entire albums or songs. Just by sharing. I realized the potential of WMC and immediately put it to use.

It seems that use may be coming to an end. I downloaded and have followed all the instructions to the best of my ability, got through all the way to the end, but WMC is not doing anything. The only thing new is a new icon on the lower right of the screen showing the TV logo with a red X and the date below. So I must have done something right, but I'm missing a connection somewhere.

WMC TV menu only shows "recorded TV" and "live TV setup." I don't know what I missed to marry up these programs and get things working.

I am a disabled veteran and I just spent New Year's Eve asking for help so I can watch TV. (It was Midnight about 10 minutes ago.) I would give my number to anyone who might be able to help, if anyone would.

It just bothers me that my life has been fine for about 15 years, until someone decides to screw with something you paid for and have relied upon for so long.

Thank you,

Chuck

PS: As I am unaccustomed to asking for help in this very foreign format, please be forthcoming with any advice you have in how to navigate it.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:31 am

Stagecrasher wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:20 am Please help. I am new to this asking for help in a format with which I'm unfamiliar. Like many of you, I lost the guide and my normal activities, as I've been watching TV and almost everything else through WMC since I came back from Iraq in 2007. While there, I learned about all these possibilities with media. I came back with about 5,000 movies and 80,000 entire albums or songs. Just by sharing. I realized the potential of WMC and immediately put it to use.

It seems that use may be coming to an end. I downloaded and have followed all the instructions to the best of my ability, got through all the way to the end, but WMC is not doing anything. The only thing new is a new icon on the lower right of the screen showing the TV logo with a red X and the date below. So I must have done something right, but I'm missing a connection somewhere.

WMC TV menu only shows "recorded TV" and "live TV setup." I don't know what I missed to marry up these programs and get things working.

I am a disabled veteran and I just spent New Year's Eve asking for help so I can watch TV. (It was Midnight about 10 minutes ago.) I would give my number to anyone who might be able to help, if anyone would.

It just bothers me that my life has been fine for about 15 years, until someone decides to screw with something you paid for and have relied upon for so long.

Thank you,

Chuck

PS: As I am unaccustomed to asking for help in this very foreign format, please be forthcoming with any advice you have in how to navigate it.
I've got this, brother.

Since you see the 'live TV setup' in the TV menu strip, you did not perform Step 2. Click on 'live TV setup' and follow the steps with the following exception: when you get to the screen to accept the Program Guide Terms of Service, select 'I do not agree'. Once you click the [OK] button in the below image, continue as you would normally. When done, give another shout. I ain't going anywhere.

- Gary

Stagecrasher

Post by Stagecrasher » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:41 am

Yes sir, I've done this. Then it proceeds to the next screen, but after "Examining TV Signals", WMC detects my set-top box tuner. So I say, "Yes, configure TV with these results," then choose Satellite for TV Signal Type. Then it says "Set-top box already Configured." The choices are, "Modify settings for changing channels" (which hasn't done much), and "Reconfigure all set-top box settings."

Don't know what else to do, as this seems to be the sticking point. When I go into "Reconfigure...," it goes into all this about using the remote for the set-top box, but all of that was set up years ago and the computer said that the set-top box was already configured.

What next?

Surely you've got better things to do on a very late New Year's Eve/early New Year's Day...

Chuck