Schedules Direct Broke?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
bigal

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by bigal » Mon May 23, 2022 2:47 pm

Scheduled update ran @ 03:30 Eastern without errors in log.
Ran a manual update @ 06:00 Eastern with no errors.
Fingers crossed!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon May 23, 2022 3:14 pm

If you downloaded 1.7.1.7 while it was flagged as beta, there is no need to download it again. All I did was remove the pre-release flag on Github to make it a full release. No files were modified.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

bsyd

Post by bsyd » Mon May 23, 2022 4:14 pm

Gary - thanks for the quick response. Between Schedule Direct's changes and your new version, all seems to be fine now. I successfully updated on two machines.

Here is what I saw on SD (apparently they went back from Python for now):

2022-05-23T04:00Z - Service is being migrated back to existing PHP API until root cause of failure to obtain read handle against database can be determined. Python backend placed into offline mode.
2022-05-23T04:20Z - PHP API updating per normal daily update; when PHP service has 'caught up' to 3 days of non-updates, it will be placed back into service.
2022-05-23T06:53Z - Existing servers placed back into service.

Thanks again for all your work (including the new color coded log viewer).

BinaryAudio

Post by BinaryAudio » Mon May 23, 2022 4:29 pm

Manual update working for me now, even on the 1.7.1.5. version.

Updated to latest 1.7.1.7 and everything looks good.

Cheers.

sirlou2001

Post by sirlou2001 » Mon May 23, 2022 5:31 pm

My WMC EPG has I believe 14 days of data.

I downloaded & installed the new version (you rock GARY!) and ran a MANUAL update and it worked as it should. Yeah! Still a bit of life left in WMC! *phew*

Happy and relieved! Thanks again to Gary & the forum for help! :thumbup:

sirlou
Bee_Dee_3_Dee wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:17 pm
sirlou2001 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:00 pm Got the error from SD. Freaked out! ;)

Read their forum and this one.

Downloaded and installed the new version of EPG123 (thanks Gary!), and tried to manually update a few times. A couple failures and then what looked like success...but instead a failed attempt, twice in a row.

EPG123 runs through its entire process and then fails at the end with an error message saying it did not work and check the log file. Getting all sorts of errors in the log file. The latest error present in the log file is as follows:

[5/22/2022 2:48:14 PM] [WARNG] There was an ERROR generated during the MXF file creation.

I'm a newb so I am not sure why it can't create the MXF file. Is that something that SD is working on? Or is this a me issue? Should I just wait and try again tomorrow?

sirlou

i'm no expert, but curious how many days does ur WMC EPG have?

i haven't updated EPG yet, and as a result my WMC EPG ends in 14 days.

as long as ur WMC EPG shows more than 14 days (21 days or so) and u updated it during busy times (day time maybe) then i'd chalk it up as a success. and errors should go away eventually. Also, updating (Scheduling EPG123 to) some time between 1:00 AM and 7:00 AM may help increase odds of reducing errors or eliminating them all together.

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Mon May 23, 2022 5:51 pm

Lots of good talk here. Gary great as usual. For those of us who know very little other than how to get into the Client page, what do we need to do, if anything? I have not touched my EPG123 since I installed it 3 or so years ago; that is how solid it has been, but of course that means I have zero trouble shooting ability.

McGary

Post by McGary » Mon May 23, 2022 6:27 pm

sgbroimp => Updating to the latest release is very simple.

Just go here (save this link in a shortcut and you can then just click on the shortcut to get the latest release): https://garyan2.github.io/download.html

Then click on the link for the installation package (there will be 2 links ... you want the first one)

Pay attention to where it saves the package (likely your downloads folder).

Right click on the downloaded package and EXTRACT the files. Then just double-click on the installer and let it install. Don't change any options ... just click OK on each of the screens.

After it's done, the latest version is installed.

If you have a really old version I don't think you're used to the plus sign on the icon -- whenever there's a new release (not a minor level update) there will be a plus sign on the EPG icon. You can just leave it be, or you can download the latest release and install it, and the plus sign will disappear.

I've been using EPG for 3+ years as well, and never bothered to update for well over a year. But I've since kept it mostly up-to-date (will usually wait a week or so after I see a plus sign just to be sure there aren't any hiccups in the release ... Gary has NEVER made a "bad" release; but he has occasionally found some minor thing in a new release, which is usually corrected almost immediately with another release :-)

FWIW, I never bother to "troubleshoot" the log when the icon is yellow or red -- I did for the first few months, but quickly learned that if you get a yellow or red icon it's almost certainly going to be green the next day. In fact, even with the issue discussed in this thread, I suspect that those who simply waited until today now have green icons and all is working well (although clearly it's better to have the latest version due to the parameter changes Gary made).

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Mon May 23, 2022 7:24 pm

Thanks for the info. But must I do anything now or will it restore itself?

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Mon May 23, 2022 7:47 pm

garyan2 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:08 pm All,

I elevated 1.7.1.7 to full release. The timeout period for 1.7.1.5 was too short for trying to download from the "old" server. I had changed the timeouts for downloading everything but the token and user status back to 5 minutes rather than 30 seconds. This should get everyone happy again.

So wat!? ;)
^^ JK

because ur EPG123 v1.2.22 is working again Gary!!! :thumbup:

Green Icon is back.

18 days worth in WMC's guide.

w00t! :thumbup:

Notes:
--Woke-up today and found that my regular overnight update (4:15 AM) had added 3 days.

--But there was still a Red EPG Icon in WMC.

--So i ran EPG manually at 2:12 PM before reading all the latest on this thread/ with the exception a couple new postings for me; that mentioned the newest version of EPG123 was indeedee functioneeing. ;)

--After the shock of witnessing SD NOT having a Token problem (pissy fit) on a Dinosaur v1.2.22 of EPG123, everything ran perfectly normal. Only took between regular 7 to 12 minuets of time to complete. And Green EPG Icon was bak!

--And ^^ manual 2:12 PM update added an additional day along with the Green EPG Icon in WMC.

:thumbup:

Notes2:
--All NBA Conference Finals Games (East and West), up through Game 7s (If necessary(s)), are showing in WMC's Guide.

--The NBA Finals Games will start to be played either June 1 or June 2. (Of course those games can't be scheduled until both the NBA East and the NBA West Champions are determined.)

--My guess is there's a 90% chance that the NBA East Finals, will go all the way to a game 7, Sunday May 29, 8:30 PM on ESPN.

--NBA West Finals, well, only giving it a 5% chance for a Game 7. But stranger things happen -- like today for example. Right? ;) And if they did it would be, Monday May 30, 8:00 PM on TNT.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon May 23, 2022 7:59 pm

For all those using "dinosaur" versions of EPG123, this is only a temporary respite. The old server software was put back into production while they figure out why the new wasn't performing as expected. Once they figure that out, the transition will be tried again and those old versions probably won't work.

So you can update sooner rather than later. Doing it before the change will at least give you a step up and be prepared. Otherwise, you will be trying not to pull your hair out while blaming SD, EPG123, or both if anything doesn't work as you expect.

- Gary

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon May 23, 2022 8:11 pm

Just tried installing 1.7.1.7 since I haven't had a successful update since the 20th. But when I tried to run the a manual update it seems to have lost my configuration file - asking for account/password. I installed using the installer as I have done in the past, how do I get my configuration back?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon May 23, 2022 8:27 pm

It sounds like you installed it in a different location. That shouldn't happen if you used the installer before.

Did you uninstall epg123 prior to installing g the new version?

- Gary

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon May 23, 2022 8:31 pm

Did not uninstall and it has been in c:/epg123 forever All I did was accept terms, next next install IIRC.
Last edited by stuartm on Mon May 23, 2022 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Mon May 23, 2022 8:37 pm

garyan2 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:59 pm For all those using "dinosaur" versions of EPG123, this is only a temporary respite. The old server software was put back into production while they figure out why the new wasn't performing as expected. Once they figure that out, the transition will be tried again and those old versions probably won't work.

So you can update sooner rather than later. Doing it before the change will at least give you a step up and be prepared. Otherwise, you will be trying not to pull your hair out while blaming SD, EPG123, or both if anything doesn't work as you expect.

excellent explanation Gary. TY!!!

post #87 viewtopic.php?f=99&t=13918&start=80#p148091 explains very well how i can just install over current version. (beeen waiting for that info to magically pop-up here.. and it did, w00t!)

My "dinosaur" version is fortunately installed in:
the default place ("C:\Program Files (x86)\epg123\epg123.exe") right?

So i should have NPs, especially considering it will be done after a full OS image backup. (i can fail and repeatedly start over if need be.)

If NBA West is decided tomorrow (Tuesday); then that will give me a 45 hour window after Wednesday night's NBA Eastern Conference Game. And so, approximately 11:00 PM Wednesday and 8:00 PM Friday i'll update my "dinosaur" version to the latest.

Updating between approximately 11:00 PM Wednesday, May 25 and 8:00 PM Friday, May 27 will be soon enough Gary?

TY! :)
Last edited by Bee_Dee_3_Dee on Mon May 23, 2022 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Mon May 23, 2022 8:42 pm

McGary wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:27 pm sgbroimp => Updating to the latest release is very simple.

Just go here (save this link in a shortcut and you can then just click on the shortcut to get the latest release): https://garyan2.github.io/download.html

Then click on the link for the installation package (there will be 2 links ... you want the first one)

Pay attention to where it saves the package (likely your downloads folder).

Right click on the downloaded package and EXTRACT the files. Then just double-click on the installer and let it install. Don't change any options ... just click OK on each of the screens.

After it's done, the latest version is installed.

If you have a really old version I don't think you're used to the plus sign on the icon -- whenever there's a new release (not a minor level update) there will be a plus sign on the EPG icon. You can just leave it be, or you can download the latest release and install it, and the plus sign will disappear.

I've been using EPG for 3+ years as well, and never bothered to update for well over a year. But I've since kept it mostly up-to-date (will usually wait a week or so after I see a plus sign just to be sure there aren't any hiccups in the release ... Gary has NEVER made a "bad" release; but he has occasionally found some minor thing in a new release, which is usually corrected almost immediately with another release :-)

FWIW, I never bother to "troubleshoot" the log when the icon is yellow or red -- I did for the first few months, but quickly learned that if you get a yellow or red icon it's almost certainly going to be green the next day. In fact, even with the issue discussed in this thread, I suspect that those who simply waited until today now have green icons and all is working well (although clearly it's better to have the latest version due to the parameter changes Gary made).

excellent explanation! ty McGary i've been waiting to see it documented so well. :) Gary says (ru2 related? ;) ), my "dinosaur" version will need updating soon. and ignor it is working now, because it will fail again soon. See: #94 viewtopic.php?f=99&t=13918&p=148098#p148098

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon May 23, 2022 8:48 pm

stuartm wrote:Did not uninstall and it has been in c:/epg123 forever All I did was accept terms, next next install IIRC.
Check c:\programdata\garyan2\epg123\ to see if your epg123.cfg file is there (or folder even exists).

- Gary

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon May 23, 2022 9:34 pm

garyan2 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:47 pmI've added a custom log viewer which will color code the entries to maybe help folks read what is important when trying to troubleshoot.
I like the new technicolor custom log viewer. :thumbup:
I have a couple of suggestions for future consideration.
  • It would be nice if it remembered the window state, size and position. Rather than reverting to maximised each time.
  • Whilst it is possible to copy text with shortcut keys, folks might find it easier with an Edit menu and/or right-click option
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon May 23, 2022 10:00 pm

So there is a epg123.cfg file in c:\epg123 but I think something is failing maybe when using that file. For each time I tried to run epg123. There is an error in the log
Unhandled thread exception from epg123.exe :The requested security protocol is not supported. (In nice red letters) :)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon May 23, 2022 10:07 pm

Not a cfg problem then, but you are seeing the same thing @mainertodd saw in previous posts above.

I checked everything out on Win10 and Win7 without issue. My Win7 did however have .NET Framework 4.8 installed though. Maybe we can figure out what you 2 have in common that ends in this result.

- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon May 23, 2022 10:08 pm

Question: Is this only for the GUI, or do you get the error for a scheduled update as well?

- Gary