Happy 5 Year Anniversary!

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
IT Troll

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by IT Troll » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:37 am

The recent improvements to the guide tweaks and logo UI has meant that I have finally retired My Channel Logos XL. It is much nicer to have all the guide customisation managed in a single app. :thumbup:

One little gotcha for people removing MCL is that the uninstall routine resets any guide tweaks back to the Media Center default. So it is best to note down (screenshot) any guide tweaks you have made in EPG123 so that they can be re-applied once MCL is removed.

Now for a feature request. It would be nice if the channel lineup list included an indicator which shows the state of each channel's logo for those channels which are enabled. It could indicate if a channel is using an SD logo, custom logo, or has no logo. Not an essential feature by any means, just a nice to have.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Space

Post by Space » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:40 am

I was also thinking it would be nice if on the logo pop-up it highlighted the currently in-use logo. Of course, if you have a custom logo, that would be highlighted, but if not, then the downloaded logo corresponding to your primary selection, or if it doesn't exist, then the downloaded logo corresponding to your alternate selection. If none of those exist, then the default logo. If default logo does not exist, then nothing is highlighted.

The highlight can just be a colored border around the logo, or some other indicator next to it. If no logo us being used, perhaps indicate that somewhere.

When you drag a logo on to the custom area, that area should become highlighted. If you delete any of the logos that are currently highlighted, then it should reevaluate the logo that will be used and highlight it.

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:51 pm

IT Troll wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:37 am Now for a feature request. It would be nice if the channel lineup list included an indicator which shows the state of each channel's logo for those channels which are enabled. It could indicate if a channel is using an SD logo, custom logo, or has no logo. Not an essential feature by any means, just a nice to have.
Nice idea. And click on the indicator to open the logo manager pop up for the channel.

ADDITION:
Another thing that perhaps would be a nicety, would be to display the default call sign and name in addition to the custom call sign and name.
Especially once the long/full name is implemented.
Last edited by NOYB on Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:54 pm

Space wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:40 am ...
Other than custom, isn't the same type logo used for all channels (_d, _w, etc) based on the settings?
I haven't even look at it really so maybe that is a stupid question.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:36 am

NOYB wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:54 pm
Space wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:40 am ...
Other than custom, isn't the same type logo used for all channels (_d, _w, etc) based on the settings?
I haven't even look at it really so maybe that is a stupid question.
Yes, it's my understanding that the logo used is based on your settings in the primary/alternate logos selection.

This is the order, if that logo does not exist, it goes to the next one, and so on:

Custom logo
Primary logo
Alternate logo
Default logo
No logo

If you know this order, then you can tell which logo will be used (or is currently in use). I'm just suggesting that it be made easier to know what logo that is by putting some sort of indicator next to it so you don't have to know (or remember) these details. Currently, unless you understand how this selection process works, you may not know which of the displayed logos is the one that will be (or is) used.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:32 am

I went off on a tangent, but this is what I am currently playing with (it looks better in real-life). It's proof of concept, and definitely need to work on it to increase performance since I am painting the 'Name' column myself, but I have some ideas.
configLogos.PNG
I'm thinking the logos area can be a hotspot to bring up the logos form with just a left-click. It will only show what is currently in the .\logos folder and what will be displayed in WMC based on custom/preferred/alternate selections. It also automatically updates if you add or change the logo.

You guys do realize that the configuration GUI's main purpose is to setup your lineups and channels to download and is not meant to be something you spend a lot of time in, don't you?
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:21 am

The logo is a nice thought with cool factor bling. Though I think a custom logo indicator is more useful. Those would probably be the ones we may want to do some work on. Or occasionally check for a new provided logo.
If someone has some pretty large line ups performance of painting all the logos could impact responsiveness.

The config gui is a nice natural entry point for managing the logos though.
The station call sign in addition to custom call sign can be useful too.
For instance to know which station is broadcasting a channel or when there are multiple stations broadcasting the same channel.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:06 am

I'm not adding any more columns or any more extraneous information. The form is busy enough as it is. If this is implemented, the user will be able to see the logo and the service name at the same time and determine if they should check for new logos or not, regardless if it is a custom logo or a downloaded logo. I don't see any practical reason to identify what priority the current logo falls under.

I don't think performance will be an issue once I implement a few things. Right now it is constructing the logos every time the item is redrawn, but I can handle the logos better and increase performance. Currently it is only noticeable for the initial display, and if you scroll really fast.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:27 am

Will there be a highlight when the service name changes, similar to when a new channel is added? That would make it easy to check if there is also a new logo. Perhaps if the service name changes and you're currently using a primary or alternate logo, it should automatically "refresh" the logo from the SD server? Although I understand if you don't want to have logos changing automatically.

The logo on the SD server may also change even if the service name does not and it would also be nice to know when this happens, but detection of that may be more trouble than it's worth (unless SD has an API for checking if there are new logos).

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:24 am

No highlight if the service name changes. Only if the StationID changes.

Now that I have the logos form, I've been thinking about automatically updating the downloaded logos when they change. Not sure yet how I would handle that.

Or I may just throw in the towel and say "I'm done."
- Gary

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:16 am

garyan2 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:32 am You guys do realize that the configuration GUI's main purpose is to setup your lineups and channels to download and is not meant to be something you spend a lot of time in, don't you?
You’re a victim of your own success. You add cool new features and so people want to use them. :D

The addition of the logo is looking good. I don’t have many channels enabled, but when I originally went through checking/customising them, I still lost track of which I had done. My thought was that a feature like this would be even more useful for folk who have a lot of channels.

One scenario you may need to code for is if a channel has logos in the folder but has been subsequently disabled.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:44 pm

Just wanted to hop in and say thanks for keeping this alive. I keep thinking I'll eventually cancel cable, but keep wondering how annoying it will be not to have virtually unlimited DVR capabilities, so I keep it. EPG123 is what enables all that. Every time I renew my guide data I try to send you a bit of money as well for keeping it possible for another year. Even improving the experience vs MS's dead platform.

One day my 11+ year old PC this runs on will die and I'll have to move on. I looked into throwing a new box together a few months ago and hardware incompatibility back to Win 7 makes me want to avoid the whole mess. But for now, I still run WMC.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:06 am

I still have the towel, so I'm not done yet. Here is what will be released soon.
configLogos2.PNG
No performance impact and you will be able to use the form while the logos are being populated. For you maniacs out there, any logo that is a custom logo will have a subtle red border around it (channel 4.2 in the image) for you to detect on your own.

EDIT: Oh yeah, click on the logo and it will bring up the logo form. No need to right-click and select a menu item to open it.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:08 am

Maniac says "nice!"

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:05 am

Brilliant! Can we have option to change the colour of the border? ;) :lol:

Space

Post by Space » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:40 am

What if the actual logo has a border around it that matches the color of the highlight?

Maybe you should make it blink in Morse code the phrase "custom logo". Image

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:45 pm

I had expected the border color and even the flashing. But morse code wasn't even on my radar! I haven't needed to use morse code in 30 years.

I'm surprised I didn't get the request to automatically email when a new logo is available or an automated phone call if you don't respond... could probably expand that to offering an extended warranty on your vehicle, too.

Short answer, "-. ---" ; or if you prefer audible "dah-dit dah-dah-dah"
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:47 pm

Space wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:40 am What if the actual logo has a border around it that matches the color of the highlight?
I guess I didn't answer this one.... Highly unlikely you will have a red channel logo, 3:1 aspect ratio, with a red border/red fill. BUT, if you only want to see your custom logos in the listview, you can change the preferred logos to 'Do not use SD logos'. The logos will change based on your selected options. Just remember to change your preference back before saving the configuration.
custom0.PNG
custom1.PNG
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:37 am

New version 1.6.2.9 released with the updated configuration GUI. I think it turned out pretty good.
- Gary

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:28 am

Working perfectly. Many thanks. :thumbup: