v1.3.9.0 -> v1.3.9.10 Release

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

v1.3.9.0 -> v1.3.9.10 Release

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:43 pm

For those 30 folks that downloaded v1.3.9.0 already, I found an error in the configuration GUI that would ask the user if they wanted to save changes even if they were not successfully logged in to Schedules Direct. Since this could wipeout any custom station download selections, I removed v1.3.9.0 from the website and replaced with v1.3.9.10.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

kkingsto

Post by kkingsto » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:33 pm

Just downloaded. Is there a way we can ignore the Windows 10 warning when trying to run? I get a blue popup and I have to go into the details of that to get EPG123 to install.

Also, can we unsticky the 1.3.7 thread??

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:42 pm

Windows is going to do that because my files are not signed, so Win10 (being helpful) is telling you I can't be trusted because I haven't purchased a certificate.
- Gary

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:05 pm

Quick question: if I installed v1.3.9.0 yesterday, and deleted and created a new scheduled task, is it necessary to again delete and create a new task after installing v1.3.9.10? Depending on the answer, it may be worth amending the note on the Download page.

Thanks.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:16 pm

Sancho wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:05 pm Quick question: if I installed v1.3.9.0 yesterday, and deleted and created a new scheduled task, is it necessary to again delete and create a new task after installing v1.3.9.10? Depending on the answer, it may be worth amending the note on the Download page.

Thanks.
No, you won't need to create another scheduled task other than the initial one. Creating a task with 1.3.9.x will redirect the "mcupdate" task to the EPG123 Client program to intercept any calls from WMC to update the guide. The client will then kick off the EPG123 update task. This "enables" the [Get Latest Guide Listings] button in WMC to actually update the guide.

Deleting the task will restore the "mcupdate" task to the mcupdate.exe program.
- Gary

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:29 pm

Thanks for the quick reply :-)

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:35 pm

So, this just happened. I was about to go through my usual routine: install new version, launch client, run Save & Exit. Then I thought, I should test the WMC Get Latest Guide Listing function. So I just clicked Exit in the EPG123 client Config.

Got this error:
Media Center Electronic Program Guide 1-2-3 has stopped working.

I copied the "Problem signature" info:

Code: Select all

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	CLR20r3[s][/s]
  Problem Signature 01:	epg123.exe
  Problem Signature 02:	1.3.9.10
  Problem Signature 03:	5f0c7d75
  Problem Signature 04:	mscorlib
  Problem Signature 05:	4.8.4069.0
  Problem Signature 06:	5dc611cd
  Problem Signature 07:	3d7f
  Problem Signature 08:	5
  Problem Signature 09:	System.Threading.AbandonedMutex
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:	1033
  Additional Information 1:	a8e6
  Additional Information 2:	a8e684111f9925fc9aa99d4362da1f5b
  Additional Information 3:	2d64
  Additional Information 4:	2d64a267762dfad1a117dd1f9a6fe7e1
I'll attempt to replicate the problem on my two other HTPCs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update 1: I did the same thing with another HTPC that is still running v1.3.9.0. Just exiting did not cause the crash...

Update 2: After upgrading to v1.3.9.10, running EPG123 Config, then Exiting did not cause the crash. Further, I could not replicate it on the first HTPC, so an anomaly.

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:45 pm

So I did the Get The Latest Guide Listings in WMC. I got the message that Microsoft is no longer supporting, and I can switch to an alternative provider. Click OK.

Is there any indicator that the guide is being updated? I don't see an obvious one.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:13 pm

Not sure why you got the provider message. If you open the client, are all the lineups on the right-side pulldown EPG123 lineups, or are there old MS/Rovi lineups still in your database?

There is no indication right now that a guide update is in progress. I'm currently working on a method to activate the prompt that the guide update has been completed after you click the [Get Latest Guide Listings]. The only way to get that message is to run mcupdate within a 5 minute window (trying to verify the timeout) from start. So my current development is to monitor the epg123_update task until it is complete and then run an mcupdate which will fail but will trigger the message. To do what WMC does with the tray icon, I will have to create another program that will run on login so it can be interactive. No timeline for that feature yet.
- Gary

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:48 pm

garyan2 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:13 pm Not sure why you got the provider message. If you open the client, are all the lineups on the right-side pulldown EPG123 lineups, or are there old MS/Rovi lineups still in your database?

There is no indication right now that a guide update is in progress. I'm currently working on a method to activate the prompt that the guide update has been completed after you click the [Get Latest Guide Listings]. The only way to get that message is to run mcupdate within a 5 minute window (trying to verify the timeout) from start. So my current development is to monitor the epg123_update task until it is complete and then run an mcupdate which will fail but will trigger the message. To do what WMC does with the tray icon, I will have to create another program that will run on login so it can be interactive. No timeline for that feature yet.
Only one lineup listed with the green dot (Lineup 1). 2, 3 & 4 are red and empty. There is a Custom Lineup tab (red dot, greyed out): HDHomeRun Premium TV (Pacific). That is not something I ever set up. Lineup 1 looks like it always has. I haven't done any editing of the config in months, if not years, save for the deletion of old and creation of new scheduled task yesterday.

I'm not sure how to recognize if there is some old Rovi data, but that seems unlikely.

I went back into WMC and did the Latest Guide again. Still getting the "Switch to an Alternate TV Program Guide Provider" message. Clicked OK, as there is no way to back out of it.

I'll check, but does that action write to the epg123 log?

Sounds like some heavy coding on the indicator front. Good luck!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:53 pm

Check for the MS/Rovi lineups in the client with the right-side pulldown, not the configuration GUI.

I believe there is a registry setting for the alternate TV guide provider message... can't remember where I saw that. I've actually never seen it on any of my systems since it originally started showing in September last year and then stopped.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:51 pm

Here is the registry setting info: viewtopic.php?p=137910#p137910
- Gary

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:42 pm

I didn’t get the update available status icon until I closed and re-opened Media Center. I recall now that we discussed this some time ago and that there is perhaps a trick to refreshing the home screen whilst Media Center is running.
viewtopic.php?p=126992#p126992

I suspect this is why I ended up turning off the icons previously.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:54 pm

As near as I can tell, WMC will only look at that status image when it opens, so if you never close WMC you will never see the latest status. If there is a way trigger WMC to reload the image, I haven't found it yet.

If you want the latest status without closing WMC, you can enable the selection to 'Add status logo in channel guide (viewable by extenders)' in the configuration GUI to give the below in the guide.
guidestatuslogo.PNG
This logo is embedded in the mxf file that is imported and will be viewable on all channels.

EDIT: doing a quick look into the ehshell code, I may be able to do it if I change the filename of the status image on each update (add a timestamp).
- Gary

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:13 pm

garyan2 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:53 pm Check for the MS/Rovi lineups in the client with the right-side pulldown, not the configuration GUI.

I believe there is a registry setting for the alternate TV guide provider message... can't remember where I saw that. I've actually never seen it on any of my systems since it originally started showing in September last year and then stopped.
LOL. I never open the "EPG123 Client Guide Tool". I just use a shortcut to the config, and only after updating when I force a download from Schedules Direct.

That said, the only thing in the Client, left or right side, is EPG123 <my area info>.

Thanks for reg link. I'll have a look.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:31 pm

garyan2 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:54 pm EDIT: doing a quick look into the ehshell code, I may be able to do it if I change the filename of the status image on each update (add a timestamp).
I guess it is caching the image in memory. Perhaps you just need a different filename for each status/accent so that the image is reloaded?
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:44 pm

garyan2 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:51 pm Here is the registry setting info: viewtopic.php?p=137910#p137910
Found this post:

"To get rid of the notification, set the following DWORD registry key to 1

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\MCE.PerUserSettings]

epgDeprecationNoticeDoNotRemindMeAgain"

but I already had that set to '1'. And if I did that, vs. WMC changing it on its own at some point (can't recall), it did stop the annoying pop-up that everyone was getting multiple times after starting WMC. Sadly, it still pops up when I manually update the Guide listings from WMC\Settings\TV\Guide. No biggie, though, as I don't usually force a Guide update after the scheduled task does so early in the morning. Still a handy feature :-)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:38 am

IT Troll wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:31 pm
garyan2 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:54 pm EDIT: doing a quick look into the ehshell code, I may be able to do it if I change the filename of the status image on each update (add a timestamp).
I guess it is caching the image in memory. Perhaps you just need a different filename for each status/accent so that the image is reloaded?
Yes and No. Name changing didn't help, but minimizing/windowing and maximizing did to force a home page refresh.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:41 am

Sancho wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:44 pm Found this post:

"To get rid of the notification, set the following DWORD registry key to 1

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\MCE.PerUserSettings]

epgDeprecationNoticeDoNotRemindMeAgain"

but I already had that set to '1'. And if I did that, vs. WMC changing it on its own at some point (can't recall), it did stop the annoying pop-up that everyone was getting multiple times after starting WMC. Sadly, it still pops up when I manually update the Guide listings from WMC\Settings\TV\Guide. No biggie, though, as I don't usually force a Guide update after the scheduled task does so early in the morning. Still a handy feature :-)
Weird. The only thing I can think of is your Windows up to date? Have you downloaded all the updates? I believe at some point it will give that checkbox to never show again but is probably KB related.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:29 am

garyan2 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:38 am
IT Troll wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:31 pm
Yes and No. Name changing didn't help, but minimizing/windowing and maximizing did to force a home page refresh.
Ahhh! This may explain it (give me a sec to tell you what "it" is). Every time you have said "The EPG123 status icon does not update unless you exit and restart the WMC GUI", I thought to myself, 'Hmmm that has not been my experience, every time I look at it, it is up to date, and I never exit from the WMC GUI".

But I think you've just explained it. I have an AHK script that runs in the background that does a bunch of WMC related stuff. One if them is to minimize WMC whenever I put the machine to sleep (using the power button on the remote or if it goes to sleep on it's own after a timeout period). So if the EPG123 status icon gets refreshed when you minimize/maximize WMC, then I guess that is why I never had the problem.

If you are wondering why I minimize WMC when I put the machine to sleep, it's because I've noticed that if the machine wakes up to do a recording and the WMC GUI is on-screen (even in "away-mode" where the video signal is off) it can cause the machine not to go to sleep again after the recording has completed. I think it is related to the WMC GUI being updated as time passes which makes the screen saver think there is activity. This causes the machine to either never go to sleep, or to go to sleep much later than it should have. I found that minimizing the WMC GUI resolves that problem.