v1.3.9.0 -> v1.3.9.10 Release

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
MILGEO

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by MILGEO » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:13 pm

Thanks for the fast response Gary.

I don't have 9999 channels showing. I've deleted all but one lineup which might have been one one I should have chosen. Should I go ahead and delete it?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:15 pm

Does the lineup begin with 'EPG123'? If not, go ahead and delete it. If you deleted the EPG123 lineup, then just click the [Manual Import] button and select the epg123.mxf file to import. Once that completes, click the Match by: [# Number] button.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

MILGEO

Post by MILGEO » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:37 pm

OK, did get rid of the last one. Hit Manual Import and it's showing the program file EPG then prompty to open. It doesn't open unless I perhaps manually click it. Is WMC being open alright? Also I have a laptop connected to EPG which is rarely turned on . It's for traveling.

MILGEO

Post by MILGEO » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:10 pm

OK, shut it off (dumb question), ran through the import, See the channels now.
Guess I'll have to do the same for laptop. The version I'm running of EPG123 is still good to go and not worth upgrading I assume.

Thanks for your prompt help!
George

Gripweed

Post by Gripweed » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:35 pm

garyan2 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:41 am I believe it gets that error because the task cannot run interactive... it cannot open any forms/GUIs. Changing the mcupdate task to run with highest privileges won't help either. The question is why in the world, even how in the world, could the task be calling epg123.exe instead of epg123Client.exe.
I have the answer to the mystery but it's not good news. When I click the GLGL (Get Latest Guide Listings) line it does absolutely nothing. This is confirmed by the Events log, the Task Scheduler history, and watching the Processes in the Task Manager (and another third-party Task Manager-like program). Neither epg123.exe or epg123Client.exe run (or any program related to WMC or EPG123) when GLGL is clicked. The entries in EPG123's Trace.log showing the Config program running were in fact me loading up epg123.exe after clicking GLGL to read the log file. If I loaded up epg123Client.exe to read the log then that showed in the log. If I used any old text reader program to read Trace.log then obviously neither of the EPG123 programs would be newly listed.

With regards to you saying that the task cannot run interactively I decided to try another experiment anyway. According to the Task Scheduler the mcupdate task is using the NETWORK SERVICE to run the task. I changed it to my personal Windows user account along with the password and gave it full access. No success. I changed it back.

Well, that's where I stand. Seems like I'm the only one where it flat out won't do anything. Any suggestions? Again, I'm only doing this for testing purposes to help you out. I doubt I'll use the feature on my own in the future.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:16 am

It works, just don't know why it is not working on yours. The only thing I can think of is the security descriptors of the mcupdate task is not right and doesn't allow WMC to call it.

Could you post the contents of the mcupdate task file (C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\mcupdate)? For comparison, here is mine.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<Task version="1.6" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task">
  <RegistrationInfo>
    <Source>$(@%systemRoot%\ehome\ehres.dll,-126)</Source>
    <Date>1982-01-15T16:30:00-08:00</Date>
    <Author>KINGPRAWN\Gary</Author>
    <Description>$(@%systemRoot%\ehome\ehres.dll,-125)</Description>
    <URI>\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\mcupdate</URI>
    <SecurityDescriptor>D:(A;;FRFWSDWDWO;;;BA)(A;;FRFWSDWDWO;;;SY)(A;;FRFWFXDTDCSDWD;;;NS)(A;;FXFR;;;AU)</SecurityDescriptor>
  </RegistrationInfo>
  <Triggers />
  <Principals>
    <Principal id="NetworkService">
      <GroupId>S-1-5-20</GroupId>
      <RunLevel>LeastPrivilege</RunLevel>
    </Principal>
  </Principals>
  <Settings>
    <MultipleInstancesPolicy>Parallel</MultipleInstancesPolicy>
    <DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>false</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>
    <StopIfGoingOnBatteries>true</StopIfGoingOnBatteries>
    <AllowHardTerminate>true</AllowHardTerminate>
    <StartWhenAvailable>true</StartWhenAvailable>
    <RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>
    <IdleSettings>
      <StopOnIdleEnd>true</StopOnIdleEnd>
      <RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle>
    </IdleSettings>
    <AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand>
    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    <Hidden>false</Hidden>
    <RunOnlyIfIdle>false</RunOnlyIfIdle>
    <DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>false</DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>
    <UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>true</UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>
    <WakeToRun>false</WakeToRun>
    <ExecutionTimeLimit>PT72H</ExecutionTimeLimit>
    <Priority>6</Priority>
  </Settings>
  <Actions Context="NetworkService">
    <Exec>
      <Command>"C:\Program Files (x86)\epg123\epg123Client.exe"</Command>
      <Arguments>$(Arg0)</Arguments>
    </Exec>
  </Actions>
</Task>
- Gary

Gripweed

Post by Gripweed » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:37 am

OK, fingers crossed that there is something there that's obvious. I haven't compared them yet.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<Task version="1.3" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task">
  <RegistrationInfo>
    <Source>$(@%systemRoot%\ehome\ehres.dll,-126)</Source>
    <Date>1982-01-15T16:30:00-08:00</Date>
    <Author>Tom-PC\Tom</Author>
    <Description>$(@%systemRoot%\ehome\ehres.dll,-125)</Description>
    <URI>Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\mcupdate</URI>
    <SecurityDescriptor>D:(A;;FRFWSDWDWO;;;BA)(A;;FRFWSDWDWO;;;SY)(A;;FRFWFXDTDCSDWD;;;NS)(A;;FXFR;;;AU)</SecurityDescriptor>
  </RegistrationInfo>
  <Triggers />
  <Principals>
    <Principal id="NetworkService">
      <RunLevel>HighestAvailable</RunLevel>
      <GroupId>NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE</GroupId>
    </Principal>
  </Principals>
  <Settings>
    <MultipleInstancesPolicy>Parallel</MultipleInstancesPolicy>
    <DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>false</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>
    <StopIfGoingOnBatteries>true</StopIfGoingOnBatteries>
    <AllowHardTerminate>true</AllowHardTerminate>
    <StartWhenAvailable>true</StartWhenAvailable>
    <RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>
    <IdleSettings>
      <StopOnIdleEnd>true</StopOnIdleEnd>
      <RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle>
    </IdleSettings>
    <AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand>
    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    <Hidden>false</Hidden>
    <RunOnlyIfIdle>false</RunOnlyIfIdle>
    <DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>false</DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>
    <UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>true</UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>
    <WakeToRun>false</WakeToRun>
    <ExecutionTimeLimit>P3D</ExecutionTimeLimit>
    <Priority>6</Priority>
  </Settings>
  <Actions Context="NetworkService">
    <Exec>
      <Command>"C:\epg123\epg123Client.exe"</Command>
      <Arguments>$(Arg0)</Arguments>
    </Exec>
  </Actions>
</Task>

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:42 am

I see you have epg123 installed in c:\epg123. Is it possible that the task with NetworkService executing doesn't have access to the folder?
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:04 am

I installed EPG123 on a Win7 VM to location c:\epg123 and everything still worked fine. So starting from a base OS, installing epg123, and not modifying anything... it works.
- Gary

MILGEO

Post by MILGEO » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:33 am

Hi Gary,

Just wanted to let you know that I sent you a donation through your set up page. It might not show who it came from, didn't see anywhere to post a note.

Thanks again for your help,
MILGEO
George

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:35 am

MILGEO wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:33 am Hi Gary,

Just wanted to let you know that I sent you a donation through your set up page. It might not show who it came from, didn't see anywhere to post a note.

Thanks again for your help,
MILGEO
George
Thanks! I appreciate that... and finding how to add a note is definitely not obvious with PayPal.
- Gary

Gripweed

Post by Gripweed » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:54 am

garyan2 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:42 am I see you have epg123 installed in c:\epg123. Is it possible that the task with NetworkService executing doesn't have access to the folder?
I noted that you had GroupID as S-1-5-20 and I had Network Service. I've never understood what those "S-(etc.)" thingies are all about. When you set up your Win7 VM test version what did it show for your GroupID there?

Another question, what are the actual arguments passed to the $(Arg0)? Maybe I need to hardcode them like it is on the daily update task?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:07 am

S-1-5-20 is NETWORK SERVICE, so the same thing. I also went ahead and changed the task to what yours showed and it still worked.

No hardcoding. By changing what program the mcupdate task uses, those arguments are just being sent to the epg123Client program. The client receives the call with those arguments and if it receives the proper ones from the "GLGL", it will kick off the epg123_update task.

Question, when you try the "GLGL" button, if you look at the task in Task Scheduler, does the "Last Run Time" get updated?
- Gary

Gripweed

Post by Gripweed » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:29 am

The last run time was listed as "7/19/2020 11:22:05 PM". The funny thing about that is there is nothing in the trace.log for that time. It goes from "7/18/2020 10:29:55 PM" when it looks like I did a Execute & Save to "7/19/2020 12:27:00 PM" when it did the normal daily update task. The 11:22:05 PM is the one that has the results "The requested operation requires elevation (0x800702E4).

I just started reading up on the (0x800702E4) error. I'm probably going to try a few things. More later.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:26 am

I thought I would try out the new "Get Latest Guide Listings" feature but I am hitting the same issue as Sancho. I get the "Switch to an Alternate TV Program Guide Provider" message blocking the way.

I am running Windows 8 with all the latest updates, the epgDeprecation registry settings are present and I did tick the don't bug me again box when it appeared.

I have been running EPG123 for a long time and I vaguely recall that the original advice for setting up the EPG was slightly different. Perhaps this has set a flag somewhere which is now causing this message to pop?

As an aside, do you know where the "update package" goes which would have been downloaded when the MS servers were alive? I'm intrigued as to what mine contains and if it can now be deleted.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:54 pm

Well that's no fun. Does the prompt only show for the [Get Latest Guide Listings] button, or does it also show for when entering the guide? Does it show immediately, after a couple seconds, or after the epg123_update task runs (though it sounds like that is not running)?

All the packages are stored in c:\programdata\microsoft\ehome\packages folder. I don't know what will happen if you just go in there and delete the contents, though.

I'm firing up an old Win8.1 VM to see what I see. I've got 2 years of updates to download so it may take a while.
- Gary

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:24 pm

It only shows on GLGL and pops immediately, the task doesn't get invoked.

It just has an [OK] and [Get More Info] buttons. Effectively, none shall pass.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:26 pm

Okay, I've updated my Win8.1 VM and am getting the same prompt when trying the [Get Latest Guide Listings] action. It looks like it also blocks calling the mcupdate task so nothing happens. I'm not sure if there is anything I can do here, but I'll poke around and look for something.
- Gary

Gripweed

Post by Gripweed » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:10 pm

I give up. For whatever reason it just will not work for me. I was able to get rid of the (0x800702E4) by switching the user to Administrators which was one of the tips I found when I Googled it. But when I click GLGL still nothing happens. The only time I can get anything to show up in trace.log is if I actually click on Run for the mcupdate task in the Task Scheduler itself. Then it shows the Status as Running and remains running until I click End which gives me a (0xFFFFFFFF) as a result. The trace.log shows various attempts.

[7/21/2020 1:48:09 AM] [ INFO] **** Invalid arguments for epg123Client.exe; "$(Arg0)" ****
[7/21/2020 1:50:20 AM] [ INFO] **** Invalid arguments for epg123Client.exe; "$(Arg0)" ****
[7/21/2020 1:58:57 AM] [ INFO] **** Invalid arguments for epg123Client.exe; "$(Arg0)" ****
[7/21/2020 2:43:28 AM] [ INFO] **** Invalid arguments for epg123Client.exe; "$(Arg0)" ****
[7/21/2020 12:39:05 PM] [ INFO] **** Invalid arguments for epg123Client.exe; "$(Arg0)" ****
I worked on this until 4am this morning and then woke up at 7am with another (unsuccessful) idea. This is giving me a headache.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:41 pm

Running the task in the Task Scheduler will fail as you see in the trace.log file because you are not sending any arguments with it, and it will fail immediately. The status of the task in Task Scheduler is not live, so you will have to click the [Refresh] button to get the current status of any tasks.

This is all definitely pointing to a user/security issue with your setup. When you click GLGL, the last run time of the task gets updated so we know WMC is able to call it. The problem is the task is not able to call epg123Client.exe... so the task can't access it or execute it. Did you set the properties of epg123Client.exe to run as administrator, maybe? Or something else? Maybe the epg123 folder is inheriting some security settings that is blocking the task.
clientAdmin.PNG
If you want this capability, then it might be best to restore the mcupdate task user to NETWORK SERVICE and then uninstall epg123 from its' current location, save the epg123.cfg file somewhere safe, delete the current epg123 folder, and then reinstall epg123. Restore the epg123.cfg file to the c:\epg123 folder, or if you installed in the default location to the c:\programdata\garyan2\epg123 folder.
- Gary