Missing channels

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
paulzimmer

HTPC Specs: Show details

Missing channels

Post by paulzimmer » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:56 pm

New installation for WMC use with an older 2-tuner HDHomerun.

I installed EPG123 per instructions (from Clean Start). I did the "don't agree" step, etc. When I get done, it all seems to work (new guide data, I'm pretty sure, since it goes beyond 1/31), except that it can't find all the channels. I have the channels set up in EPG123. WMC doesn't find them - if I go into "Signal Strength" many of the local channels are missing.

The channels' signal strength is fine (per HDHomerun's software), AND if I go back through the WMC setup and DO agree, it finds all the channels.

What am I doing wrong? Why does the agree/disagree setting constrain what channels if finds?

Thanks so much!
Paul Zimmer (no, not the Troy Becker twin!)

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:30 pm

Read the section of the instructions about adding vhf stations in wmc.. That's the most likely thing. If not that, someone else will need to chime in.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:31 pm

WMC doesn’t scan VHF frequencies anymore, so you will have to add those channels manually in WMC:

http://epg123.garyan2.net/tools/#vhfAddChannel

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:05 pm

Actually WMC NEVER scanned VHS frequencies. Pre EPG123 the guide data from Microsoft included tuning frequency info for the downloaded geographic area. That information is not in the data from SD so hence the necessity to scan and manually add.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:29 pm

I think step 5 in the Step 2 instructions should be clarified. Many people might not even know what VHF is.

Maybe just add "Display the WMC channel guide to make sure you are not missing any channels, if you notice missing OTA channels in the WMC guide, then check the "Additional OTA Configuration" page for instructions on how to determine if they are VHF channels and if so, how to add them."

Although I am not sure if displaying the guide at that stage would tell you anything, it might be required to put this step when within EPG123 in step 3.

paulzimmer

Post by paulzimmer » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:10 pm

THANK YOU to all who replied. I used the settings > guide > add missing channels, and that worked! I had to exit WMC and re-run epg123 to eliminate "No Data", but the channels are all there now and showing correct guide data.

Thanks again,
Paul Zimmer