EPG123 Setup Help

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
aeblank

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG123 Setup Help

Post by aeblank » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:27 pm

Probably be a lot of these threads in the coming months.......

I was a good boy and read through all the instructions for setup for EPG123. I decided to have a go at it last night, and IT didn't follow the instructions at all.
I may have installed it in years (rovi times?) past, but uninstalled it. To be sure, I uninstalled it again, and went through the registry, and reinstalled.

Anyway, it goes straight to the screen below. No backing up the ehome directory nothing to do with merging recordings or channel scans or anything.
I'm sure it's something stupid, but what's my deal?

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:19 pm

There are 2 icons, Epg123 (which is your pic) and I think the other is Epg123 config or something like that. The Epg123 config icon is where you process the steps.

Did you run the required steps using the Epg123 config app?

I see that you created the Schedules direct account and selected your channels. If you want, I can post the steps I use to get Epg123 up and running, but it would require rescheduling your scheduled recordings

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:01 pm

In my start menu group, I only have:

EPG123 Guide
EPG123 Online
EPG123

The first two are chrome icons and go to the setup .pdf and to the website.

I downloaded the newest one, which was from the 5th of October. Perhaps an issue with that version?

To answer your question, explicitly, No, I did not run the steps using the EPG123 config app. I simply don't have it.

I'm remoting in from my phone, so it's a bit clunky, but I'm open to suggestions...

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:26 pm

aeblank wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:01 pm In my start menu group, I only have:

EPG123 Guide
EPG123 Online
EPG123
If you don't have the client, then you didn't do a full install. Run the installer again and when you get to the 'Select Components' page, select 'Full Install'.
choliscott wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:19 pm If you want, I can post the steps I use to get Epg123 up and running, but it would require rescheduling your scheduled recordings
@choliscott: The setup has changed quite a bit since you installed EPG123 and pretty much takes care of everything, including scheduled recordings. Take a look at the website and watch the video on the install page to have a peek.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:23 pm

so now there's a EPG123 Client and an EPG123 Transfer Tool.
I recognize the transfer tool. I'm not using this machine as a client.
Still doesn't seem to be a configuration tool.

Perhaps way to the upper right on the client tool, there are "database utilities" (backup, restore, rebuild WMC database).? Seem to be some other tools there.

I gotta be pulling a bone-headed move here, but I sure don't know what it is.

Thanks for the help.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:47 pm

The files can be broken down like this:
epg123.exe (EPG123) downloads and creates the MXF file to import into WMC. This is considered the "Server" part.
epg123Client.exe (EPG123 Client) imports the MXF file into WMC. This is considered the "Client" part.
epg123Transfer.exe (EPG123 Transfer Tool) will assist during the client setup to transfer previous Rovi recording requests to the new EPG123/SD recording requests.

If you will be using WMC on the machine you are setting up on, then you will use both the "Server" and the "Client" parts. Just follow the installation steps as outlined on the website here... you will start by clicking the [Client Setup] button on the client GUI.

If you will no be using WMC on the machine you are setting up on, then you will just be using the "Server" part to create the MXF file to share with a bunch of clients. Scroll down on the linked page above and you will see the steps for a "Server only" setup.

Extra hint: Watch the video for a Server/Client install.
- Gary

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:37 pm

garyan2 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:47 pm The files can be broken down like this:
epg123.exe (EPG123) downloads and creates the MXF file to import into WMC. This is considered the "Server" part.
epg123Client.exe (EPG123 Client) imports the MXF file into WMC. This is considered the "Client" part.
epg123Transfer.exe (EPG123 Transfer Tool) will assist during the client setup to transfer previous Rovi recording requests to the new EPG123/SD recording requests.

If you will be using WMC on the machine you are setting up on, then you will use both the "Server" and the "Client" parts. Just follow the installation steps as outlined on the website here... you will start by clicking the [Client Setup] button on the client GUI.

If you will no be using WMC on the machine you are setting up on, then you will just be using the "Server" part to create the MXF file to share with a bunch of clients. Scroll down on the linked page above and you will see the steps for a "Server only" setup.

Extra hint: Watch the video for a Server/Client install.
So for a person with a single HTPC (WMC currently installed with its about to discontinue EPG, using a Centon 6 Tuner Pcie version) where the Guide is to install, but also uses a single Ceton Echo Extender, one still installs both Server (only) and client (only)? Then how about when one gets to the end of the install process: Select: Server Mode, Client Mode or Full mode?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:09 pm

You will do a full install (both server and client) and the task will be Full Mode to both create the guide listings and import them into WMC. The Echo really has no impact since it is really just doing a type of remote desktop to your WMC on the HTPC.
- Gary

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:49 pm

Many thanks, Gary. I always like to get this kind of stuff straight before I begin to keep my blood pressure down and your answers were are great help in that regard.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:15 pm

Yeah, I guess I appreciate the server/client relationship now. Despite the instructions, I didn't understand at first. I think I'm on track finally.
Thank you.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:14 am

I'm apparently not too bright. I can't get it. My recordings needed to start at 8:00 too (gave myself a bit over an hour). Dangit.

Anyway, here's some screenshots. I've been through the setup a couple times, per the video. Set up the tuners, etc. I just don't understand what's missing. Seems like EPG123 thinks it's all set, but WMC doesn't have it. No shows are listed as scheduled recordings, either. I don't have the "about" in my guide data.

Please help, yet again (still?).

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:15 am

it would only let me post 3 pictures........ here's the last one.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:29 am

Couple things right off the bat.

In the client, above the left side list, click the button Match by: [# Number]. You evidently didn't use the default settings that would have done that for you (the Automatch setting in the client GUI, or the Automatically match... setting in the configuration GUI).

The other thing I see is you are downloading data for channels 9.1 - 9.4, but you don't have those stations currently in your guide. This is because they are in the VHF band and WMC will not add them during a scan. You have to add them manually. Check out instructions on how to do that here.

Once you add channel 9 to your WMC tuners, and click the Match by: [# Number], you will be good.
- Gary

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:28 am

I think what screwed me was that I had installed it in years past, or just how I did the setup bass ackwards because I didn't watch the video.
Yes, channel 9.X got a variance to stay VHF. Goons. Though, easy enough to add. Thanks.
I didn't *knowingly* NOT use the default settings to automatch the channels. I bet if the left/right boxes were swapped, I'd have been more likely to figure it out. Going from the right box to the left was a little weird. Likely just me, not meant to be a critique.

Anyway, thank you SO MUCH both for EPG123 and your endless help.

I guess the only thing I see is that WWNNLD2 is "AntennaTV" (https://antennatv.tv/) and doesn't have a logo.

Hopefully this helps someone else out there. Sure makes me feel/look like a fool, but I'll take it, cause it's working! haha.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:35 am

I guess another thing. In a little more than a week, my pbs station is changing it's frequency.
I'll have to do a channel scan again to catch that? Or can I change it in the client?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:49 am

aeblank wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:35 am I guess another thing. In a little more than a week, my pbs station is changing it's frequency.
I'll have to do a channel scan again to catch that? Or can I change it in the client?
viewtopic.php?f=99&t=12140

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:25 am

aeblank wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:28 amI guess the only thing I see is that WWNNLD2 is "AntennaTV" (https://antennatv.tv/) and doesn't have a logo.
You can submit a ticket to SD to include the logo, but you can also use a logo you already have access to.

On the EPG123 Configuration GUI, click the [Collect SD Logos], wait for it to complete.
run the following in a command prompt:

Code: Select all

copy "C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\sdlogos\WLUKDT2-2.png" "C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\logos\WMNNLD2.png"
or save the below picture in the C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\logos folder.
WMNNLD2.png
WMNNLD2.png (16.69 KiB) Viewed 4392 times
On next update it will be included in your guide.
- Gary

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:17 pm

Gary, you are really helping us all out a great deal here and you seem open to suggestions, also refreshing, to make EPG123 work for folks, especially those of us that are computer-challenged. Thank you!

So here is an idea given that there will most likely be a swarm of folks trying to load in EPG123 in the next couple of months: Why not create a "how to" video on YouTube? The work to do that might pay for itself with many fewer questions and issues and would also promote the product.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth and worth at least the price I am charging you ($0.00)

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:27 pm

garyan2 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:25 am or save the below picture in the C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\logos folder.
WMNNLD2.png
jeesh, that's exceedingly easy. Thanks.
Good to know too, cause I had some custom icons created for my parents, who get both Michigan and Green Bay versions of a few stations.
I'll have to get them off Rovi "shortly" too.

gzarzycki

Post by gzarzycki » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:09 pm

System: Windows 7 Professional x64 and Windows 7 Ultimate x32 8 gigs RAM
Windows Media Center
HDhomerun Prime 3 tuners current firmware

On the first PC, Win 7 Ultimate x32 I installed the Server and Client software, all went fairly well.

The 2nd PC the Windows 7 Professional x64 I tried to install the client software and could not get it installed. After 6 hours of trial and error I gave up. There is an issue with the epg123 client software. When it went to Windows to configure the tuners, after aborting the guide as instructed, the system would hang half way through. I would abort thus the epg123 client would fail the install. I restored the backup. Went into windows and ran the tuner configure all went fine. I then tried at least 10 times to run the epg123 client software, hung every time. The client software appears to leave a hook someplace that stops the WMC tuner setup configuration to complete. This is obvious to be an issue with epg123 client install as windows WMC has no issues with the HDhomerun with the WMC Tuner setup when not configuring the epg123 client.

It appears I will have to install it as a server to get it to work and abandon the use of the epg123 client software as nothing I tried would work. I read someplace to try to install in safe mode, it will not install while Windows is in safe mode with networking. I have verified that I have ownership in all the folders needs so it is not a permission issue.

Does anyone have an idea why the client software doesn't install or a trick to get it wto work?

Thanks,
Gary
retired system analyst & CEO Network Automation Ltd.
Tucson, AZ.