EPG123 for other PVR solutions

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: http://epg123.garyan2.net <> Setup guide here: http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg123_Guide.pdf
jbhall56

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG123 for other PVR solutions

Post by jbhall56 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:41 pm

After a hard drive crash I was told by Microsoft Tech Support that they could not help me recover my Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center. It seems that Microsoft has invalidated ALL of the Media Center keys for Windows 8.x. So while you can use the key to install Media Center, that installation deactivates your Windows 8.x installation and there is no way to fix the product key issue. As a result, I was wondering if the developers of EPG123 have thought about life after WMC and might support other PVRs such as Next PVR and MediaPortal? All of these solutions seem to only support the XML version of Schedules Direct and not the JSON version which supposedly contains more data. Just a thought.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:02 pm

I already do as much as possible. That is why EPG123 has the option to create an XMLTV file along with the MXF file. You could say that the XMLTV file actually has a little more information than the MXF, but the XMLTV file is very inefficient and will be 2-3X larger than the MXF. It is up to the other PVR programmers to determine how to use the available information.

As far as extra data from the JSON server, stuff like actor images, awards, maybe reviews? I currently don't pull those since WMC doesn't have anything that can accommodate/use the data. I don't believe the XMLTV format will support that data either, so it would have to be a homegrown and a cooperative effort.
- Gary
Stomping out the Rovi disease, one media center at a time. http://epg123.garyan2.net

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:19 pm

I can confirm that I was able to activate W8.1 media Center key as of last week.

1. Installed Windows 8.1 Pro
2. Activated normal Windows key
3. Went into Control Panel
4. Clicked add features to Windows
5. Put in WMC key that I obtained when they were giving them out for free

6. Rebooted. At this point, machine says it's not activated
7. Called automated activation line. Reactivated WMC key to current hardware

A few days later I took a system backup and tried reinstalling everything again. After I added WMC and the machine rebooted, it showed the machine was activated

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:51 am

I use it for JRiver Media Center and it seems to work really well. There are still some issues I need to work out but overall I'm really happy with it.