epg123 w/o WMC

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: http://epg123.garyan2.net <> Setup guide here: http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg123_Guide.pdf
Post Reply
Sammy2

Posts: 1668
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:35 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

epg123 w/o WMC

#1

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:43 pm

Can epg123 be run without WMC? I'm about to switch to Win10 on my HTPC and am just wondering how to set it up.

TIA

User avatar
garyan2

Posts: 3491
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:23 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:53 pm

Absolutely. It will just be the "server" part that will create the MXF and XMLTV files. Since there is no WMC, the client will fail to open and give a prompt for the reason.
- Gary
Stomping out the Rovi disease, one media center at a time. http://epg123.garyan2.net

Sammy2

Posts: 1668
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:35 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#3

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:20 pm

garyan2 wrote:Absolutely. It will just be the "server" part that will create the MXF and XMLTV files. Since there is no WMC, the client will fail to open and give a prompt for the reason.
Thanks Gary!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk


DSperber

Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:35 am
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA

HTPC Specs: Show details
2+ Yrs TGB Veteran

#4

Post by DSperber » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:54 am

Sammy2 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:43 pm
Can epg123 be run without WMC? I'm about to switch to Win10 on my HTPC and am just wondering how to set it up.
What are you going to be running on Win10 that it would be called "HTPC"? What are you going to be using EPG123 for?

In my own recent experimenting with Win10 attempting to at least support my Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD 4-tuner OTA/ATSC internal PCIe card, I opted to go with NextPVR. This is an open-source project that runs perfectly in Win10 which creates unprotected TS recording files for copy-freely content. And the Hauppauge WinTV 8.5 software/driver product (which is free if you buy the tuner card, and $10 to "activate" with a license key if you just want the software/drivers) also runs perfectly in Win10. NextPVR is far superior to the WinTV 8.5 product from Hauppauge itself, but the WinTV 8.5 Win10 driver for the QuadHD card allows complete OTA/ATSC functionality in Win10 via NextPVR which fully supports the Hauppauge TV tuner card products.

Note that the installation of WinTV 8.5 in Win10 also results in the installation of the MPEG-2 codec from MainConcept, required to view/playback OTA/ATSC HDTV programs. Turns out you can also get the equivalent Microsoft-provided MPEG-2 codec freely installed automatically for the new "Movies & TV" app in Win10, if you OK the offer to get it from the MS App Store when you try playing an unprotected TS file. The "Movies & TV" app will launch (as it is the Win10 default app for TS) and will detect that it needs the MPEG-2 codec, allowing you to give it the OK. From that point on you can now play those copy-freely MPEG-2 TS files using "Movies & TV", or NextPVR (like using WMC in WIn7 to play TV MPEG-2 recordings) .

Furthermore, NextPVR includes support for its own EPG based on nightly data downloads from Schedules Direct, same as we're used to with EPG123 with WMC. So the very same two channel-lineup SD subscriptions I already had for my EPG123 use in my Win7 WMC HTPC (supporting both my Hauppage card as well as my Ceton card), the OTA/ATSC channel lineup subscription was 100% usable in NextPVR for its own nightly Guide updates.

So again, what are your plans and needs to have EPG123 itself usable in Win10, if there's no WMC?

Sammy2

Posts: 1668
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:35 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#5

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:49 am

DSperber wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:54 am
Sammy2 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:43 pm
Can epg123 be run without WMC? I'm about to switch to Win10 on my HTPC and am just wondering how to set it up.
What are you going to be running on Win10 that it would be called "HTPC"? What are you going to be using EPG123 for?

In my own recent experimenting with Win10 attempting to at least support my Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD 4-tuner OTA/ATSC internal PCIe card, I opted to go with NextPVR. This is an open-source project that runs perfectly in Win10 which creates unprotected TS recording files for copy-freely content. And the Hauppauge WinTV 8.5 software/driver product (which is free if you buy the tuner card, and $10 to "activate" with a license key if you just want the software/drivers) also runs perfectly in Win10. NextPVR is far superior to the WinTV 8.5 product from Hauppauge itself, but the WinTV 8.5 Win10 driver for the QuadHD card allows complete OTA/ATSC functionality in Win10 via NextPVR which fully supports the Hauppauge TV tuner card products.

Note that the installation of WinTV 8.5 in Win10 also results in the installation of the MPEG-2 codec from MainConcept, required to view/playback OTA/ATSC HDTV programs. Turns out you can also get the equivalent Microsoft-provided MPEG-2 codec freely installed automatically for the new "Movies & TV" app in Win10, if you OK the offer to get it from the MS App Store when you try playing an unprotected TS file. The "Movies & TV" app will launch (as it is the Win10 default app for TS) and will detect that it needs the MPEG-2 codec, allowing you to give it the OK. From that point on you can now play those copy-freely MPEG-2 TS files using "Movies & TV", or NextPVR (like using WMC in WIn7 to play TV MPEG-2 recordings) .

Furthermore, NextPVR includes support for its own EPG based on nightly data downloads from Schedules Direct, same as we're used to with EPG123 with WMC. So the very same two channel-lineup SD subscriptions I already had for my EPG123 use in my Win7 WMC HTPC (supporting both my Hauppage card as well as my Ceton card), the OTA/ATSC channel lineup subscription was 100% usable in NextPVR for its own nightly Guide updates.

So again, what are your plans and needs to have EPG123 itself usable in Win10, if there's no WMC?
HDHomeRun Connect Quatro with Emby DVR.

Post Reply