Server / Client Install question

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
japes76

HTPC Specs: Show details

Server / Client Install question

Post by japes76 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:30 pm

I have been contemplating switching to EPG123, but have a question before I proceed:

In anticipation of Win 7 no longer being supported, I want to eliminate all traffic to the outside world and only have the computer hit the local network. It's sole purpose will be as a DVR and to view pictures and home video copied to it across the network. No Netfilix, web browsing, etc.

I see on the EPG123 website that there is a server/client install option. I can see from the instructional video that the sever creates the MXF file and stores it locally. There is no instructional video for the client side, but am I correct in assuming that the client install would simply link to the server MXF file over the local network, and would somehow sense when the MXF file is updated (or look for updates on a certain schedule)? Would the server need to always be on, or would sleep mode interfere with the process?

If the server/client setup works like I think it does, this would be great, as my MCE box would no longer need any connection to the outside, and I could isolate it entirely to the local network and keep it running securely beyond Jan 2020.

glorp

Post by glorp » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:37 pm

The MXF is a file that holds WMC TV schedule data in a format that can be loaded into media center's schedule database. There is a part of EPG123 that generates that MXF by obtaining listing data from Schedules Direct via Internet connection and then re-formats it into an MXF file. That step can be done on any Windows computer as long as it has a connection to the Internet and that would be your "server". Then there is a part of EPG123 that then takes the MXF and loads it into the database for WMC to update the TV listing schedule. The second step is done on the "client" computers which must have WMC on them. They only need local network access to the MXF file on the server for as long as it takes the client to read and load the MXF. It is possible for a server to also be a client if you have one WMC computer configured to get schedule data, build the MXF and load it for itself. Other clients can then use that same MXF.

Both steps occur by running scheduled tasks at times you set. So It's just a matter of timing on your part to set a schedule so that the server builds a new MXF before any clients request it. You can tell the clients where to look for the MXF on a share on the server as that is part of the EPG123 client utility configuration. If the server is in sleep mode when a client needs the MXF then that can't happen and the load would fail due to a missing file. Any other failure of the server to build an MXF would result in the same thing though. It's not much of an issue as you just miss loading that day's new listing data. The old data are still there in your clients' schedules and the next good build and load of the MXF on the clients gets all the missing new data. The server does not need to be running WMC nor does it need to interact in any way with Windows "TV" set up in order to get a schedule and build an MXF so you can run it anywhere on any Windows OS as long as it can talk to SD's servers over the internet.

I've been doing this for years with the EPG123 "server" on Windows Server Essentials with no media center at all on it and then 3 clients all running W7 WMC. The 3 clients never get schedule information from anywhere but the server and have no need to access Schedules Direct at all. Works like a charm. The only thing to be aware of is that if your clients have different tuner/line up configurations (maybe 2 have cable tuners and one has OTA only) you have to set up the server line ups to build one schedule database common for all clients' available channels. The clients will only display channels in WMC that it has tuners for though so it's not a big issue.
Last edited by glorp on Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:41 pm

I'll start with the installations first. If you reference the installation PDF file, I will point out what is not so obvious.

The Client side of the installation is handled in Step 1 and Step 2. The Server side of the installation is handled in Step 3. Both installations will still need the "Final Step" of creating a scheduled task to perform the updates daily. You will just need to schedule the client some time after the server is scheduled to update. The client does not run in the background to monitor any files/folders to detect updates so it will have to be controlled by the clock. The server won't need to be always on, it will just need to be available when the client runs its update.

Concerning isolation from internet... certainly possible. Your machine will still function perfectly well as a DVR. What will be missing though is all your artwork... there will be no series images in the guide and no movie posters. You will also lose the "extended" movie information such as Similar Movies and Reviews. You will also lose the ability to click on an actor to see other films he/she was in if you use that feature. To gain the majority of your artwork back, you will need to allow access to the Amazon AWS servers "amazonaws.com" (these are secure https connections). There are some images that are linked to the Schedules Direct server (also secure https connections), but this is during a transient period which will redirect to the AWS servers while the database is updated with the final image location. If you open the machine to the Schedules Direct server, then you might as well use EPG123 in full mode and not worry about a server only installation on another machine.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

japes76

Post by japes76 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:36 pm

Glorp and Gary -

I really appreciate the detailed and helpful responses. That is going to work perfectly for me. I don't care at all about the artwork. MCE automatically generates a thumbnail for each recorded show, and that is enough for me. I also don't care about the extended data. As long as there are no persistent errors generated when the data is not found, I would be Ok with that (can either of you confirm?)

Thanks again for the help, and I think that this solution is a way for many of us to keep MCE running long term with no security risk.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:27 pm

The only failure you will get from WMC when there is no internet connection is the below during TV Setup. This is right after we deny the Program Guide ToS and is to get updates on any changes to your regional TV formats (ATSC, DVB-S, DVB-T, ...). If at some point an update will be necessary due to technological progress (ATSC 3.0 ??), you could always temporarily connect to the internet to download the update if it is available. If not, then everyone using WMC in your region will be affected as well.
NoNetworkFailure.png
- Gary

japes76

Post by japes76 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:39 pm

Gary,

It seems you are saying that error is just one time during the setup. It won't be popping up on an ongoing basis, correct?

Thanks!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:49 pm

That is correct... this is only during TV Setup.
- Gary