Channels changed name- new logos?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Wheeker

HTPC Specs: Show details

Channels changed name- new logos?

Post by Wheeker » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:06 pm

Ok so here in Ireland 3 channels recently changed name:
  • TV3-> Virgin Media 1
  • 3e-> Virgin Media 2
  • Be3-> Virgin Media 3
So I raised a ticket with Schedules Direct & very quickly the updated names & listings appeared in the List :) . However the logos have remained the same :| . Is this because SD haven't updated the logos or is there something I need to do within EPG123? In a similar vein I see IT Troll posted updated logos for the UK Channel 4 group of channels, is there a way to utilise these?

While I'm at it, 2 new channels also showed up on Freesat (CLTV & Showcase) & I can't find any listings. I did raise another ticket with SD but nothing is showing-up. Is there any way to search all of the SD listings to work out which listing might have them?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:09 am

Wheeker wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:06 pm Ok so here in Ireland 3 channels recently changed name:
  • TV3-> Virgin Media 1
  • 3e-> Virgin Media 2
  • Be3-> Virgin Media 3
So I raised a ticket with Schedules Direct & very quickly the updated names & listings appeared in the List :) . However the logos have remained the same :| . Is this because SD haven't updated the logos or is there something I need to do within EPG123? In a similar vein I see IT Troll posted updated logos for the UK Channel 4 group of channels, is there a way to utilise these?
The logos for each station is located in the \logos folder. I just pulled up those particular stations and the logos have not been updated yet so you have a couple options. You can replace the PNG files in the \logos folder with properly named images (VM1IRE.png, VM2IRE.png, and VM3IRE.png) and they will be used on next update. The other option would be to submit a ticket to SD for the updated logos and periodically delete those PNG files to force epg123 to download again each time until they are updated. [EPG123 will never know if a logo has been updated... it has to be forced to download the logo again by deleting the existing logo in the \logos folder.]

For those logos from IT Troll, just copy them into the \logos folder like above with the proper name (<callsign>.png).
Wheeker wrote:While I'm at it, 2 new channels also showed up on Freesat (CLTV & Showcase) & I can't find any listings. I did raise another ticket with SD but nothing is showing-up. Is there any way to search all of the SD listings to work out which listing might have them?
There is no method to search for all lineups that contain a specific station in the SD API, I don't know if SD has that ability either with the Gracenote API. What you can do is search other regions that may have the new stations and right-click the search results to preview the lineup contents (don't actually add the lineups to your account). I thought the new stations would have been on 28.2E, but I didn't see them there. Are these like brand new stations that are not yet in any lineups?
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Wheeker

Post by Wheeker » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:29 pm

Thanks for the response Gary- much appreciated. So I did as you said & deleted the old logos from \logos folder, then pasted in the the new logos (png format). However the old logos remained & the new logos didn't show-up, even after Save & Execute in EPG123 & then a Manual import of the resultant mxf file in EPG123 Client. All callsigns-logo filenames seem to correspond ok. I also tried hitting "collect" under "Include station logos from Schedules Direct" which just seemed to add additional logos to the \logos folder, all channels seem to have at least 2 logos per call-sign, appended by "-1" or "-2".

Is there a certain sequence I need to do this in? Or in EPG123 Client should I hit the "Remove" button in "WMC Tweaks" to "Remove all channel logos" & then try again? Just concerned as to the ramifications of removing all channel logos.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:55 pm

The [Remove] button to remove all logos will simply null out the logo entries in the WMC database. It will not delete any of the logos files in the \logos folder. After a delete, an import of the existing MXF file will bring in the logos again along with the guide listings. I suppose it is possible that WMC is refusing to update the logo byte array in the database and that is why you are not seeing a change.

Do the following:
1. Click the [Remove] button.
2. Do a manual import of the MXF file.
3. Check results.

If there are no logos present in the guide, then you do not have the 'Include station logos...' option enabled.
If you still see the old logos, then you do not have the updated logos in the .\logos folder or they are not named properly. This will require the logos to be fixed and a [Save & Execute] to be done again to embed the new logos in the MXF file before import.

The option to [collect] all the logos from Schedules Direct for your lineups is so you can see all logos that are available for use. They are downloaded into the .\sdlogos folder to remain separate from the .\logos folder. Most stations have 2 logos available and EPG123 will select the second since it is most likely to be a better contrast to the WMC colors. In this way, you will also be able to see if there are stations that have been rebranded and could edit/copy them over to the .\logos folder for use in your guide.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Wheeker

Post by Wheeker » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:50 pm

:oops: Sorry Gary- only after reading your last post did I realise I had pasted my new channel logos into the \sdlogos folder rather than the \logos folder :oops: Once I put then in the correct folder the logos appeared as you said :P Many thanks for your help & indeed for your fantastic program!