Restoring EPG123 config after W10 reinstallation

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
kanipek

HTPC Specs: Show details

Restoring EPG123 config after W10 reinstallation

Post by kanipek » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:00 pm

So for unknown reasons I had to do a reinstall of W10, kept apps and files.

Windows is back to normal operation.

Ran through the uninstall/reinstall process for W10 with no issues. Had done a backup of WMC prior to W10 reset.

I am having issues doing the restore using epg123 - I guess it is not clear exactly what I should be doing/seeing is where my issue is. I point it to where the backup is and it takes a bit of time and some data appears and then???

It does not seem to be working or doing anything. I can use loadmxf to load each of the backups and that does seem to work - but while I have series restored and items scheduled to record I cannot view the guide at all seems greyed out. Indexing is still ongoing, not sure if that is related.

Second issue I am seeing is if I use V1.25 when I go to edit listings the channel is not in the list, but it is present in the mxf file ???

I am only using WMC to record 2 channels. So these are not huge issues for me, but confusing.

I have an older version installed on windows (1.20?) but I use the portable version to do the updates for Emby and WMC.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:33 pm

The restore will delete the contents of the ehome folder, and then import the 3 backed up mxf files for your WMC configuration (lineups, recordings, and subscriptions). At this point, your WMC will have all configuration information it needs for your tuners, lineup channel mappings, custom channel numbers and names, and your scheduled recordings. It will not have the current guide listings ... you will need to import that manually (epg123.mxf), or perform an update. The client should show all your tuner channels on the left side along with custom names, numbers, and subscribed lineups. The right side of the client should show all the subscribed lineups you had before. If neither is the case, than the backup you restored was not the backup you wanted.

Because you uninstalled and then reinstalled WMC, you lost the registry setting that enables the guide in WMC. All that should be required to do is either open the configuration GUI, or run through an update. The client, when doing a scheduled update, will verify the registry and update if necessary.

Questions/Concerns:
If you did a restore, and then also imported the backed up files manually, you probably have duplicate tuners and duplicate series recordings. I would recommend doing a restore again to clean that up.

What is greyed out?

I don't know which Win10 update did it, but it shuts down the Windows Search process which is what is used to index WMC. You may need to reenable indexing... otherwise it will never find anything.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

kanipek

Post by kanipek » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:40 pm

Thanks for the info.

I think I probably did all of that and mucked it up in the process.

The guide mysteriously missing had to be related to the indexing, as when the indexing got to a certain place the guide appeared. That was what was greyed out.

The backup was the correct one, this I know for certain. And now that I can get in to edit the listings that one channel is still not listed.

After the indexing completes I plan on doing another database reset and restore - and see where I end up. Yes/No?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:47 pm

Going through it again certainly won't hurt.

Is there anything in the trace.log file? The client will try to repair errors with your merged channels in the database. If it can't repair it, it will delete it. If the channel is shown in the client, but not in WMC, then I can't think of what the cause would be.

An option would be to manually add the channel. Is this OTA or cable?
- Gary

kanipek

Post by kanipek » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:51 pm

The tuner part of the equation is there, the channel was scanned, it plays but the listings aren't present for the correct channel.

Edit - and of course right after I clicked post I think I found the issue...

Staring me right in the face all along....my unfamiliarity with the process....or my old eyes...

The lineup pull down should have remembered that from back in the old days, what was it called? Guide Tool?

kanipek

Post by kanipek » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:19 am

The rebuild/restore went perfect as far as I can tell.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:29 am

Awesome.

Just FYI: If you have lineups in your database that you no longer need, you can "delete" them using the 'X' button to the right of the lineup pull down. It doesn't actually delete the lineup, but it de-associates all the channels that are assigned to it. The client, seeing that the lineup has no channels will ignore it and not provide it as an option.
- Gary