1.1.3 to 1.2.4 upgrade

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Jacksondorf

HTPC Specs: Show details

1.1.3 to 1.2.4 upgrade

Post by Jacksondorf » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:26 pm

For this upgrade, I am assuming I need to totally remove the 1.1.3 version, and install from scratch? Was hoping there was a way to save the series recordings, but the prospect looks bad. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I do have 1.2.4 on another DVR, so am not totally new to it's function.

Thanks!
Jack

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:02 pm

Jacksondorf wrote:For this upgrade, I am assuming I need to totally remove the 1.1.3 version, and install from scratch? Was hoping there was a way to save the series recordings, but the prospect looks bad. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I do have 1.2.4 on another DVR, so am not totally new to it's function.
No worries. You can either install in the same location as your current epg123 folder, or opt for the new default location in the Program Files folder. Installing in the same location will mean you don't have to move any files into the ProgramData folder.

Simplest method (original location):
1) Run setup program and install in same location as current epg123.
2) Open EPG123 Configuration GUI.
2a) Delete existing scheduled task
2b) Create new scheduled task
3) Click the [Save & Execute] button to run an update.

Longer method (Program Files location):
1) Run setup program and install in default Program Files location.
2) Open EPG123 Configuration GUI to create folders in ProgramData.
3) Close EPG123 Configuration GUI.
4) Copy epg123.cfg file from original location to C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123 folder.

NOTE: All updates of EPG123 only entail copying over the current files. Only versions 1.0.2 and below needed extra steps for the upgrade, but there has never been a risk to loss of program recordings or a need to "start from scratch" with a new WMC setup.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Jacksondorf

Post by Jacksondorf » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Thanks a ton Gary!
Did the upgrade to default locations. worked like a champ. I love the new EPG123 notification icon on the WMC screen......

echo14612

Post by echo14612 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:01 pm

Gary, I'm really confused. I was running 1.1.25 (I think) with no issues. I saw there was an update. I ran it; it was installed over the old version. When things didn't work right, I read your instructions to move some of the directories from the Program Files (x86) to the ProgramData folders. I did that. I ran the TV channel Scan in WMP. It said I could only use 4 tuners. I chose "use up to 38 tuners" in your setup and ran the scan again. Still said I only could use 4 tuners.

Next, I tried to delete the scheduled task and create a new one. I've tried that at least 8 times. The option to create a Scheduled Task stays grayed out.

Please tell me what I'm missing. I don't know whether to uninstall epg123 and start over or what!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:54 pm

echo14612 wrote:Gary, I'm really confused. I was running 1.1.25 (I think) with no issues. I saw there was an update. I ran it; it was installed over the old version. When things didn't work right, I read your instructions to move some of the directories from the Program Files (x86) to the ProgramData folders. I did that. I ran the TV channel Scan in WMP. It said I could only use 4 tuners. I chose "use up to 38 tuners" in your setup and ran the scan again. Still said I only could use 4 tuners.

Next, I tried to delete the scheduled task and create a new one. I've tried that at least 8 times. The option to create a Scheduled Task stays grayed out.

Please tell me what I'm missing. I don't know whether to uninstall epg123 and start over or what!
Might need a little more detail on how you updated, your install location, and what folders and files did you move to the ProgramData folder (i.e. did you also move the epg123.cfg file?). What didn't work right at first, and why did you run a TV Channel scan?

From the sounds of it:
1) your original install was in Program Files (x86)
2) you installed over that location, but didn't move your epg123.cfg file to the ProgramData\GaRyan\epg123 folder
3) epg123 didn't run/work because of #2
4) you moved the folders (and epg123.cfg?) over to the ProgramData\GaRyan\epg123 folder
5) ???
6) you ran a TV Setup in WMC and only 4 tuners available out of ??

For the task being grayed out, there has always been some confusion on this. If you run the GUI and the button has a shield on it, you can't perform that action unless you run the program with elevated privileges. Clicking the button will close the current window and open a new window with elevated privileges. It does not perform the button action... you need to click the button again in order to now perform the action. If that is all confusing, the easiest thing to do is right-click the shortcut/program and select 'Run as administrator". This way, you start out with elevated privileges already.
- Gary

Randyored

Post by Randyored » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:20 pm

Hello,

So, I just checked and found I need to update my 1.2.0 to 1.2.4. I used the Simplest option below. Am I good?

Per the log...It seemed to go OK. Thanks!

I like the idea of going to the one folder to see/get what I need.

RandyO

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:04 pm

Randyored wrote:Hello,

So, I just checked and found I need to update my 1.2.0 to 1.2.4. I used the Simplest option below. Am I good?

Per the log...It seemed to go OK. Thanks!

I like the idea of going to the one folder to see/get what I need.

RandyO
It's been a few days. You good?
- Gary

Randyored

Post by Randyored » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:16 am

Actually, no.

I just realized that my end date remains 9/15/2018. I think I have an import issue. It is creating the MXF file with the appropriate time date, and the log shows no errors. But, it does not import the data.

I remember the last EPG123 version of the scheduled task (which I deleted) had 2 command lines. v1.2.4 only created one task "C:\EPG123\epg123.exe -update". It is not initiating epg123client.exe for the import process. Does it not need the scheduled 2nd command for importing?

To fix this I opened the client and did a manual import.

How to fix? Do I need that second line in task manager?

RandyO

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:23 am

If you create the task in the client, make sure the radio button is set to "Full Mode". If you create the task in the configuration GUI, make sure the "Automatically import..." option in the scheduled task is checked. Either method will create a task with 2 actions; 1 for the epg123.exe -update and the other for the epg123Client.exe import.
- Gary