Duplicate recordings after install

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
SomeGuy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Duplicate recordings after install

Post by SomeGuy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:54 pm

I figured I'd give EPG123 a try, since I've got one scheduled program in particular (keyword UFC) will often return a boatload of results, and then fail to record anything (shout-out to Microsoft and their arbitrary per-program recording limit). All of the setup went exactly as it was described, and everything seems to be pulled in properly (the new logos are very nice!), and while I find that some of the errant programming I was trying to get around is gone (ie it's not recording the same episode of UFC Tonight that repeats a half dozen times weekly) it's also recording programs that are not only not new, but have actually been recorded by this instance of MCE.

One instance is "Last Week Tonight With John Oliver"; it is set to record one this afternoon at 2:15p EST, though it does have the original airdate of 7/1. It is also trying to record other showings later this week on 7/9 7/10 and 7/11, but I believe that's more to do with lack of guide data (it's populated for the date/time, but without episode information). Another instance is "Colony", set to record July 8 at 1am EST; this has an original airdate of 7/4, and is already recorded on this PC.

I've tried deleting and re-adding the programs, and have also tried setting/resetting the "Allow NEW flag to override Original Air Date" option, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. The scheduled recordings are definitely set to new episodes only, so it really confuses the heck out of me that this (seemingly good) guide data is feeding these odd recordings.

Oh, one more oddity I noticed is that the scheduled task didn't seem to be running after setup. I changed the user from the logged in user to System (to make sure it's got full admin rights) and it worked fine. Not sure if it's a Win 8.1 thing, but I don't have much of anything configured that I'd have expected to screw with that. Here's a technet thread with the same error code and resolution:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... nservergen

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:05 pm

Re-recording of programs recorded when using the Microsoft/Rovi data is to be expected. I believe that the SD guide uses different ID information for a program than the old guide used so WMC will be unaware that a program was previously recorded using the old guide.

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:02 pm

That would make sense, but shouldn't the program not being an original airing take precedence anyway? By the air-date being different than that day it would inherently be not "new", so I would think it would be skipped, even with new guide data.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:57 pm

No, I think WMC (for series recordings) will check the recorded history for any episode of the series with the ID of one in the guide and if you have never recorded it before (with that ID) will assume it was somehow missed earlier and go ahead and record it.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:20 am

How recent did you move over to EPG123? That will help in describing some of what you are seeing.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Space

Post by Space » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:37 am

Here is how WMC works:

If you have the Series set to "New & Rerun", it will record every episode of the target show (but see caveat below).

If you have the Series set to "New", it will record every episode of the target show, but only if the "Original Air Date" (OAD) associated with that episode is within 7 days of the date it is airing (any episode that is airing on a date that is more than 7 days away from the OAD will have the "Repeat" tag associated with it in the guide). But again, see the caveat below.

Now here is the big caveat regarding ALL Series:

An episode will not be recorded if that Series has already recorded that episode at any time in the past.

That's pretty much it. However, a big factor is data quality. If the data quality is bad (wrong OAD, wrong series identifier, wrong episode identifier, wrong schedule, etc.) then you can get results that appear to violate the above rules. Also, if a listing is just a generic listing for a show (does not have episode specific information, such as a episode title, OAD, episode description, etc.) WMC will record it to be safe; this will result in the appearance that WMC is recording the same episode more than once (and it is) but to WMC it is just recording a generic airing of an episode of the show, it does not know which episode it is.

I've also seen instances where WMC has seemed to "forget" what a certain Series has recorded in the past, and it will record the same episodes again. I am not sure if this it a bug in WMC, or if the data from the provider has different episode IDs for the episodes than it did when it first recorded the episodes, so WMC thinks they have not been recorded in the past. If you select an episode that is scheduled to record (due to a Series), and select "Do not record", it will be added to that Series "do not record in the future" list and will not be recorded by that Series in the future (just as if it had recorded it once).