Adding a new channel to WMC

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
gsr

HTPC Specs: Show details

Adding a new channel to WMC

Post by gsr » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:55 pm

Here in the Boston area, we've got a number of channels moving to new physical and virtual channel numbers over the next few months thanks to the broadcast spectrum auction. The first one is supposed to be making the big switch this weekend. 60.5 on physical 18 (IIRC) is moving to 15.1 on physical 43. Schedules Direct already has data for 15.1, I can see 15.1 listed in the EPG123 UI, and I have confirmed that we can receive 15.1 in the SiliconDust apps. Without going through a complete fresh TV setup in WMC, what is the best way to add the new channels as these changes occur? It seems like WMC eventually updates itself when new channels arrive, but I'd like to ensure that I have 15.1 setup for recordings that are scheduled for early next week.

Secondarily, and perhaps this should be posted separately, is there any way to setup different tuners without redoing the entire WMC TV setup? I've purchased some of the new SiliconDust Quatros to replace my older dual tuners and would love to be able to switch WMC over to use the new tuners without having to go through a full setup as that means going through and manually hiding a bunch of channels I don't want to see in the guide again (all the SD versions of HD channels and premium channels we don't subscribe to for the CableCard tuners).

gsr

Post by gsr » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:31 am

So I figured out the first half - I didn't have a shortcut to the EPG123 Client on my desktop and had forgotten about the channel and guide data mapping functions in there. So adding the physical channel within WMC and then mapping the guide data to it in the EPG123 Client has taken care of things. The guide data isn't flagging anything on that channel as HD yet, but that's not a huge problem.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:35 am

The SD/HD flag is determined from the guide data provided by Schedules Direct. It is possible to override this for a whole channel using EPG123.

viewtopic.php?p=124257#p124257

I think you do have to run the TV setup again when adding a new tuner.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

gsr

Post by gsr » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:35 pm

IT Troll wrote:The SD/HD flag is determined from the guide data provided by Schedules Direct. It is possible to override this for a whole channel using EPG123.

viewtopic.php?p=124257#p124257
Yeah, I know that the SD/HD flag comes from the guide data. It was just an observation and I suspect that will get sorted out in the SD feed at some point.
IT Troll wrote:I think you do have to run the TV setup again when adding a new tuner.
I think you're correct, it would just be REALLY nice if there was a way to add/remove tuners without going through the whole setup again as it's a relatively painful process. In my case, it's compounded by having to add the CableCard tuners (9 total) 1 at a time to have them configured in reverse order from the other WMC PC we have running that's sharing the same tuners. If we set the tuners up in the same order on both, we get errors every time a recording starts if the other PC is already using one of the CableCard tuners (potentially more than 1 error if the other PC is using more than 1). Obviously, the tuner priority can be edited for each channel instead, but that would be even worse as >100 channels would need to be edited, though I supposed I could edit just the relatively small set that I actually use.

@garyan2 - any idea if it's possible to get access to add/remove tuners to avoid having to run through TV setup again when or to edit the tuner priority list for multiple channels?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:13 pm

gsr wrote:@garyan2 - any idea if it's possible to get access to add/remove tuners to avoid having to run through TV setup again when or to edit the tuner priority list for multiple channels?
For adding/removing tuners I'm sure anything is possible, but it's not going to happen with EPG123. There is just way too much involved to be able to be successful in doing that.

For editing tuner priority, I thought maybe Guide Editor 2 would be able to do it, but I checked and it doesn't. GuideTool doesn't do it either. I'll have to see if it is possible (I believe it is), and how I could do it, but it is not going to be available in the near future for you.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

gsr

Post by gsr » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:18 pm

garyan2 wrote:
gsr wrote:@garyan2 - any idea if it's possible to get access to add/remove tuners to avoid having to run through TV setup again when or to edit the tuner priority list for multiple channels?
For adding/removing tuners I'm sure anything is possible, but it's not going to happen with EPG123. There is just way too much involved to be able to be successful in doing that.

For editing tuner priority, I thought maybe Guide Editor 2 would be able to do it, but I checked and it doesn't. GuideTool doesn't do it either. I'll have to see if it is possible (I believe it is), and how I could do it, but it is not going to be available in the near future for you.
Fair enough; thanks for the response.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:23 am

Why not use one PC and extenders?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

gsr

Post by gsr » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:56 am

Sammy2 wrote:Why not use one PC and extenders?
Partly because the available extender options suck. Partly because my brother and I want to record different stuff. Partly for redundancy in case one fails to record something we both watch. And so on.