EPG123 install

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
middlfam

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by middlfam » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:57 pm

Just copied eHome/backup to a different drive. That is easy enough.

So when I declined the program guide, the tuner scan/channel scan process that runs does not run if I download the ROVI/MS data? All that that part of the setup does is find the tuners? So since I decline the download, it runs the channel scan kind of blindly? Why doesn't that work with EPG123 data? Load the EPG123 data, zap WMC telling it their EPG data was downloaded, launch WMC, run the tuner scan, but skip the channel scan because there is already data in a file. What is there about WMC that it has to run scans at all? Set up WMC with the ROVI/MS process and then overlay the ROVI EPG data with new EPG123 data, accurate maintained data? Like a restore, just with different data.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:18 pm

The information in the file epg123 creates does not contain tuner specific information. It would be a lot of work to get epg123 to be aware of everyone's tuners, create channels with the proper frequency, modulation, spacing, let's not even talk about satellite tuners ... :roll:

Basically there's more to a tuner channel than just a number, and all WMC sees with epg123 is the guide listings ... nothing more.
middlfam wrote:Set up WMC with the ROVI/MS process and then overlay the ROVI EPG data with new EPG123 data, accurate maintained data? Like a restore, just with different data.
This is possible but I don't recommend it. At that point MS/Rovi has a foothold in the system and can/will change your tuner lineups and screw up your searches and movie listings. If it wasn't for those issues, it would be the recommend path.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

middlfam

Post by middlfam » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:43 pm

It is proving harder than I thought it would to find a gap when WMC is not doing something so that the auto execution of the EPG update will complete.

What I was trying to say before is that since there is a back up restore function built into WMC, why can't you create a file in their expected back up format and let WMC reload the EPG from data you created from Zap2It? Let WMC run all of its processes so all the channels are found, and then slam dunk the EPG file from a better source for data.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:07 pm

middlfam wrote:It is proving harder than I thought it would to find a gap when WMC is not doing something so that the auto execution of the EPG update will complete.
If you mean you are always recording, there is an option for epg123Client to force an update regardless of tuner recording status. You will have to edit the task in Task Scheduler to do so.

Open 'Task Scheduler'
Select 'Task Scheduler LIbrary' folder
Double-click the task 'epg123_update'
Select the 'Actions' tab
Double-click the action for epg123Client.exe
In the 'Add arguments (optional):' field, add " -f" to the end (make sure a space separates the '-f' from the other arguments)

The default option to abort during recording was due to some reports that an update would interrupt/abort recordings when the file was imported into the database. You can try the -F option and just monitor to see if it impacts you. I was able to duplicate the issue 1 time, but all the many other attempts I tried were all successful.
- Gary

middlfam

Post by middlfam » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:15 pm

I have a PC at my office with 1 TV tuner. When I have a gap in clients I sometimes watch a show. I noticed late yesterday the schedule data was not right. So I installed EPG123. Went smooth. 1 tuner and experience with adding digital TV stations manually, made it much faster and without frustrations. I think I am ready now to use EPG123 for others, that will need their own accounts, but at least I can walk through this now and not look like an idiot while trying to fix the ROVI issues they might have.

I still wish it was a little easier, like let WMC do its thing and then after set up, replace the ROVI created guide with one EPG123 creates using the WMC restore function so all the channels are there without manual intervention.

The most important thing is this, yours works, works well and I do know how to get from ROVI to Zap2It using EPG123.

middlfam

Post by middlfam » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:36 pm

I get channel logos now. IU do like it, thought it would not really matter, but I do like it. What were you able to do that added in the logos?

I picked up an extra TV tuner yesterday from an interesting person. I like having a couple of extras just in case one of mine, or one in the HTPCs I take care of, fails. I picked the tuner card up at his business, he makes custom toy haulers and trailers. But he also codes. One of his commercial products is a channel guide he creates for hotels/motels that displays on an unused channel. So all guests have to do is turn that that channel to get the programming guide. He had the extra TV tuners because he was experimenting with using the ATI cards that I like to see if he should start using the ATI cards and not the Happauge TV cards he uses for another media product he developed and sells to city governments used for video conferencing. Welder, trailer builder, electronics and software engineer, interesting combination. I told him about EPG123 and suggested he might want to reach out to you.

middlfam

Post by middlfam » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:13 am

Is there a way to use EPG123 on a PC that does not have internet connection. I can download files and then copy files on to a USB drive. My sister-in-law is trying to save money by getting rid of the internet, but she really likes the HTPC I built her. Pat M

Space

Post by Space » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:52 am

The main part of EPG123 is the only part that needs a network connection. It connects to SchedulesDirect and builds the MXF file. Once the MXF file is built, the EPG123 client program loads it in to WMC. So if you have the EPG123 client program on other systems, you can copy the MXF file from the system that has Internet to the other systems any way you want (such as with a USB drive) and use the EPG123 client program to load it in to WMC on each system. You would have to do this every day to keep it up to date, but I suppose you could get away with doing it once a week if you don't mind dealing with missing some late updates.

I'm not sure that the SchedulesDirect agreement allows for this or not, however. I know they allow you to use one account for your household (multiple computers in your house, as well as say a summer house, etc.) But if you are using the data on your WMC system and you sister-in-law is also using it on hers, I'm not sure if you would need to (legally) buy two subscriptions, or if one is enough in this circumstance.

dahef

Post by dahef » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:06 pm

After my install, my channel logos look fine. Also my upcoming Movie guide logos are great and actually match!

What I have lost is all the logos for the 365 movies already recorded in the Movie Guide.
I have done a test recording and a new recording after the install will show the logo, just not the recordings done before the upgrade. Is there any way to get those logos back?

dahef

Post by dahef » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:01 am

dahef wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:06 pm After my install, my channel logos look fine. Also my upcoming Movie guide logos are great and actually match!

What I have lost is all the logos for the 365 movies already recorded in the Movie Guide.
I have done a test recording and a new recording after the install will show the logo, just not the recordings done before the upgrade. Is there any way to get those logos back?
Does anyone know of a way to restore previously recorded movie logo's in the Movie Library after converting over to 123?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:25 am

I haven't tried to see what can be done, but there is a thread in here somewhere discussing that exact same question. Have you tried to look at the program details? It may call out to the metadata servers and will populate the image along with actor and character names, full synopsis, reviews, and similar movies. This may only work if the production year is populated which Rovi doesn't seem to do. Try something recorded before July 2015 if you can, and then something after.

Here's the post: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=10761
- Gary

dahef

Post by dahef » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:31 pm

Since my install I haven't been able to download the .mxf file. I have a red tv icon. What is the .mxf file. Here is what the log said

ERROR Error using loadmxf.exe to import new guide information. exit code -532462766
Exiting importMxffile(). FAILURE
ERROR Failed to import .mxf file. Exiting.

My guide data did update and is out to July 14 now.

dahef

Post by dahef » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:12 pm

dahef wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:31 pm Since my install I haven't been able to download the .mxf file. I have a red tv icon. What is the .mxf file. Here is what the log said

ERROR Error using loadmxf.exe to import new guide information. exit code -532462766

I restarted the pc and ran save/execute and now the icon is back to yellow.
I did get several warnings about a Program missing required content and did not cache the program due to missing Md5 hash. The .mxf file downloaded successfully this time.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:23 pm

dahef wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:31 pm Since my install I haven't been able to download the .mxf file. I have a red tv icon. What is the .mxf file. Here is what the log said

The MXF file is the file EPG123 creates that contains all your guide data. LoadMXF.exe is the tool Microsoft provides that will take that file and import into the WMC database. A failure to import can sometimes mean your database is corrupted (not likely here since you just started from scratch), but another reason is the computer was doing a processor or hard drive intensive task at the time. If an mcupdate task is running at the time, or you have a computer backup in progress, they will increase your chances of getting an error like this.

A lot of times, a second try will do the trick. EPG123 also provides a method of restoring your database in case of corruption using the [Rebuild Database] button in the client GUI. There are different levels of action that can be taken, but everything can be corrected.
- Gary