v1.1.3 Release

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
rkulagow

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by rkulagow » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:38 pm

Which logos need to be inverted? We (Schedules Direct) are now including inverted / alternate logos (but EPG123 may not be using that feature yet), and I'd like to see how far we still need to go.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:00 pm

rkulagow wrote:Which logos need to be inverted? We (Schedules Direct) are now including inverted / alternate logos (but EPG123 may not be using that feature yet), and I'd like to see how far we still need to go.
That's been implemented? I set up the code for it, but didn't have anything to try it out on. I'll check it out and see if the code works.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:11 pm

Just checked, and sure is. My code pulls them down just fine. I am still using the legacy field for station logo as well, so ...

Example: BBCAHD will pull 3 images: BBCAHD.png, BBCAHD-1.png, BBCAHD-2.png

BBCAHD and BBCAHD-1 are the same image. The first being the legacy, the second being the first image of the new structure.
BBCAHD-2 is the inverted colors image.
logos.png
logos.png (7.7 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
- Gary

marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:35 am

I had to go back to 1.11 because I was seeing Media Center lockups and then an error box saying Media Center crashed and a button to restart it. Also, guide updates stopped occurring. The logfile seemed to indicate nothing wrong but the future recordings list kept getting smaller and smaller.

I'm in the process of reverting :(

During this I saw that if there is a recording going on the mxf import won't occur? Does this mean if there's a recording going on it will not load in the new guide listings?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:29 pm

marvin-miller wrote:I had to go back to 1.11 because I was seeing Media Center lockups and then an error box saying Media Center crashed and a button to restart it. Also, guide updates stopped occurring. The logfile seemed to indicate nothing wrong but the future recordings list kept getting smaller and smaller.

I'm in the process of reverting :(

During this I saw that if there is a recording going on the mxf import won't occur? Does this mean if there's a recording going on it will not load in the new guide listings?
Correct. If a recording is in progress then epg123 will abort the import. It will still update the mxf file so it will be ready if you wish to manually import it.
- Gary

marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:25 pm

Is there any way to turn that off? (so that it imports even if recording).

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:44 pm

marvin-miller wrote:Is there any way to turn that off? (so that it imports even if recording).
Nope

Space

Post by Space » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:28 am

Is this a global problem (if you import data while recording it can stop the recording)?

Because I have done guide updates with the standard Rovi data (not EPG123) and I never have had a problem with running it while recordings are in progress.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:36 am

Space wrote:Is this a global problem (if you import data while recording it can stop the recording)?

Because I have done guide updates with the standard Rovi data (not EPG123) and I never have had a problem with running it while recordings are in progress.
Not global. There have been a couple reports in the last year, and I have managed to duplicate it once. I would say the risk is low. I never knew it would be so difficult for folks to find a couple minutes in the day to perform updates while not recording something.

FYI: The abort will only be for the scheduled task / command line. A manual import from the client GUI will proceed with the import regardless. I assume that the user knows what they are doing.
- Gary

marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:41 am

garyan2 wrote: I never knew it would be so difficult for folks to find a couple minutes in the day to perform updates while not recording something.
In my case my DVR is 'catching' up. This is largely due to the original ROVI issue, the fact that a lot of my previously recorded series have been re-mastered into HD (thus creating a need to re-record them) and also due to hard disk failures. So I'm in the unfortunate position where entire series recordings are been done over again.

As such, it's common for my DVR to be recording 15 or more hours per day at various times.

Question, would it be hard to put a radio button on the EPG GUI that turns this feature on or off?

SciFiGeek

Post by SciFiGeek » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:32 am

I think I had a short trial of 1.1.2 (client and server) and somewhere something went sideways with Media Center and I ended up going back to 1.02 because it was more familiar and I needed it up quickly.

With the client-server version I tried, I know it converted the series for the new setup. But what I did not see a comment on is if it works for shows that are off season or just those available in current guide info from SD. So if for example, "Code Black" is one of my series currently waiting for its next season, and lets assume it is not syndicated yet... Does the conversion / remapping of series know about these not currently airing series or will they need to setup again later?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:23 am

SciFiGeek wrote:I think I had a short trial of 1.1.2 (client and server) and somewhere something went sideways with Media Center and I ended up going back to 1.02 because it was more familiar and I needed it up quickly.

With the client-server version I tried, I know it converted the series for the new setup. But what I did not see a comment on is if it works for shows that are off season or just those available in current guide info from SD. So if for example, "Code Black" is one of my series currently waiting for its next season, and lets assume it is not syndicated yet... Does the conversion / remapping of series know about these not currently airing series or will they need to setup again later?
The "upgrade" doesn't affect anything with the scheduled recordings. The change was to the unique ID for the channel in the .mxf file which is basically what attaches a station's listings to the tuner channel.

Scheduled recordings are done by the Series ID, Service ID (station), and channel number. The change to 1.1.x will not impact scheduled series recordings.
- Gary

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:33 pm

I updated to 1.1.3 and now I'm getting a lot of recordings "began late... due to a temporary failure caused by either a system malfunction or a power loss..."
Also now all channels are selected in epg123 (overwrote my epg123.cfg file)... errr.

1. If I rerun Setup TV Signal do I have to go through the epg123utility steps again?
2. What does Rebuild Database do? Does it wipe out anything such as recorded history, I'm sick of duplicate recordings.
3. Any special instructions to go back to v1.0.2?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it... wish I never updated.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Jim-W wrote:I updated to 1.1.3 and now I'm getting a lot of recordings "began late... due to a temporary failure caused by either a system malfunction or a power loss..."
Don't know what is causing this, but it can't be epg123 unless maybe you are performing an update when your recordings are supposed to start and that is upsetting WMC for some reason. EPG123 is not active or resident in memory when it is not performing the update. Something else is going on here.
Jim-W wrote:Also now all channels are selected in epg123 (overwrote my epg123.cfg file)... errr.
I'll have to go through my notes to find when this was fixed, but there was a corner case when the Save button was clicked multiple times in the epg123 GUI, then all channels would be selected. The problem may still exist in 1.1.3 and my fix will be in 1.1.4 ... can't remember at the moment.
Jim-W wrote:1. If I rerun Setup TV Signal do I have to go through the epg123utility steps again?
2. What does Rebuild Database do? Does it wipe out anything such as recorded history, I'm sick of duplicate recordings.
3. Any special instructions to go back to v1.0.2?
1. No, not for Setup TV Signal.
2. Rebuild database deletes the database then creates a new one and imports the backup 'lineup', 'recordings', and 'subscriptions'... it's really a fresh start with tuners and recordings in place with no guide data. A manual update of the mxf file will fix that. Recorded history, I believe, is in the event log, not the database ... it should be okay.
3. The proper way to go back to 1.0.2 would be to use the epg123utility again. The secret is if you use the 'automatch' feature, you don't need the utility, though you may have to run the update twice to get everything in place.

Don't know why there are recording problems going on, but find it hard to believe epg123 is involved. You might want to check task manager if epg123 is stuck in memory, or a reindex is still running, or something else ...? Sorry it was not a smooth transition for you.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:35 pm

garyan2 wrote:...
2. Rebuild database deletes the database then creates a new one and imports the backup 'lineup', 'recordings', and 'subscriptions'... it's really a fresh start with tuners and recordings in place with no guide data. A manual update of the mxf file will fix that. Recorded history, I believe, is in the event log, not the database ... it should be okay.
If you are talking about the per-Series history of recorded episodes that is maintained so that WMC does not record the same episode of a Series twice, then I think it will wipe this out. If you are talking about the log that is called "History" in WMC, then that will not be affected, that is just a subset of the entries that can also be seen in the Windows Event Viewer.

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:53 pm

Space wrote:
garyan2 wrote:...
If you are talking about the per-Series history of recorded episodes that is maintained so that WMC does not record the same episode of a Series twice, then I think it will wipe this out. If you are talking about the log that is called "History" in WMC, then that will not be affected, that is just a subset of the entries that can also be seen in the Windows Event Viewer.
Yes, I'm talking about the per-Series history of recorded episodes that is maintained so that WMC does not record the same episode of a Series twice.

Thanks

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:01 pm

Jim-W wrote:I updated to 1.1.3 and now I'm getting a lot of recordings "began late... due to a temporary failure caused by either a system malfunction or a power loss..."
This almost sounds like your system is crashing and rebooting. Have you watched the system when a recording is due to start. Are there any events in your event logs coincident with the time of the message?

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:16 pm

Not crashing or rebooting, nothing in the event logs except the began late... warnings. I rebooted today so I'll keep an eye on it. If it keeps doing it I have a Macrium backup image I took before I updated epg123.

Thanks

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:20 pm

I had a spate of these "system malfunction" recording problems when I switched to Windows 8. This was before I started to use EPG123. I eventually worked out that it was because the PVR Schedule wasn't being updated correctly. See here for more:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 54#p101854

BTW, Recording History is in the Event Log but this is just the log. The previously recorded data, used to determine duplicates, still lives in the TV database and would be lost in a reset.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:02 pm

IT Troll wrote:I had a spate of these "system malfunction" recording problems when I switched to Windows 8. This was before I started to use EPG123. I eventually worked out that it was because the PVR Schedule wasn't being updated correctly. See here for more:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 54#p101854

BTW, Recording History is in the Event Log but this is just the log. The previously recorded data, used to determine duplicates, still lives in the TV database and would be lost in a reset.
Thanks for the input!

It seems to be doing good now on it's own, all I did was reboot yet again. Before I posted this problem I deleted the StartRecording task, ran chkdsk on all drives and ran SFC... now errors or violations but it didn't seem to help.

I tried to run the existing PvrSchedule task in Task Scheduler but it comes up Class not registered so for what it's worth I ran it in an elevated cmd prompt, no errors or message.