v1.1.0 Release

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
sjr56stn

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by sjr56stn » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:34 am

sjr56stn wrote:
Gary,
Success! Deleting my non-standard scheduled task did the trick.
(Though I am ashamed to admit that lack of trust caused me to do another C image backup beforehand!)
Steve
Gary,
My problem now is that the mxf file is not being imported into WMC. I can import it manually using epg123client.exe. When I look at the epg123.exe GUI I can see that the automatically import box is not checked, but it is 'greyed-out' and so I cannot check it.
Steve

sjr56stn

Post by sjr56stn » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:48 am

sjr56stn wrote:
sjr56stn wrote:
Gary,
Success! Deleting my non-standard scheduled task did the trick.
(Though I am ashamed to admit that lack of trust caused me to do another C image backup beforehand!)
Steve
Gary,
My problem now is that the mxf file is not being imported into WMC. I can import it manually using epg123client.exe. When I look at the epg123.exe GUI I can see that the automatically import box is not checked, but it is 'greyed-out' and so I cannot check it.
Steve
OK - I have figured it out. I had to delete the scheduled task and re-create it ensuring that I had checked the automatically import box first! The delete button in the GUI didn't seem to work, and I had to delete it in the task scheduler.
Steve

dc_billm

Post by dc_billm » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:12 am

I'm not having any luck upgrading from epg123_v1.0.2_w7 to epg123_v1.1.0_w7. I have followed the upgrade instructions, step-by-step, and I always receive and "Unhandled Exception" error when I press "Save & Execute" running epg123.exe.

I successfully ran the epg123utility.exe and created the epg123utility.mxf file.
I successfully did the "Manual Import" of that file using epg123Client.exe. No errors at all up to this point.
Then, I run epg123.exe, delete the old scheduled task.
Check the boxes to "Automatically import guide data in WMC" and "Automatically match stations to channels".
Then, I click "Save & Execute". Several tasks run with no error.
When it gets to the task "Retrieving" 44473 programs from local cash and Schedule Direct..., that's where the "Unhandled Exception" error always happens. EPG123 crashes and I have to close the program.

I ran through the upgrade process several times, with the same result. After each crash of EPG123, I restore my disk from last night's backup image, and try again.

I thought, maybe it's not the upgrade which is causing the error. So, after a fresh restore of last night's back image, I just simply ran version 1.0.2 of epg123.exe, clicked "Save & Execute". The same several tasks completed without error, but then EPG123 crashes with the "Unhandled Exception" error.

So, I did another restore from last night's backup image. I followed the instructions to Rebuild WMC Database - no errors during this process. I then attempted another upgrade, but the same "Unhandled Exception" error and EPG123 crashes.

So I conclude that there's some kind of a problem with the current installation of EPG123 version 1.0.2 which is preventing me from doing just about anything.

I am uploading the following:
Screen shot of the "Unhandled Exception" error
Screen shot of the Windows7 event log
-A Zip file containing the following:
Windows7 event log file EPT123.evtx
trace.log file (renamed to trace.log.txt)
epg123.cfg file

I'm tired of playing with this problem for today, so I am again restoring my disk from last night's backup.
Any insight into how to fix this issue would be appreciated.
Attachments
Files.zip
(68.68 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Windows7-event-log.jpg
Unhandled Exception.jpg

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:31 pm

When I do a manual import (under the client), I get to the "Success: Attempted to run the scheduled task "Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\ReindexSearchRoot"

However the window never closes. Shouldn't this automatically close?

Thanks

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:41 pm

choliscott wrote:When I do a manual import (under the client), I get to the "Success: Attempted to run the scheduled task "Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\ReindexSearchRoot"

However the window never closes. Shouldn't this automatically close?

Thanks
Nope, it won't automatically close from a manual import. The cursor will be restored to a pointer, instead of a circle, and the channels and lineups will be refreshed once the import is complete. This was commented on before, and I have already added a line to the console saying it is done. I'm thinking maybe a popup message might be better.
Last edited by garyan2 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:42 pm

dc_billm wrote:I'm not having any luck upgrading from epg123_v1.0.2_w7 to epg123_v1.1.0_w7. I have followed the upgrade instructions, step-by-step, and I always receive and "Unhandled Exception" error when I press "Save & Execute" running epg123.exe.

I successfully ran the epg123utility.exe and created the epg123utility.mxf file.
I successfully did the "Manual Import" of that file using epg123Client.exe. No errors at all up to this point.
Then, I run epg123.exe, delete the old scheduled task.
Check the boxes to "Automatically import guide data in WMC" and "Automatically match stations to channels".
Then, I click "Save & Execute". Several tasks run with no error.
When it gets to the task "Retrieving" 44473 programs from local cash and Schedule Direct..., that's where the "Unhandled Exception" error always happens. EPG123 crashes and I have to close the program.

I ran through the upgrade process several times, with the same result. After each crash of EPG123, I restore my disk from last night's backup image, and try again.

I thought, maybe it's not the upgrade which is causing the error. So, after a fresh restore of last night's back image, I just simply ran version 1.0.2 of epg123.exe, clicked "Save & Execute". The same several tasks completed without error, but then EPG123 crashes with the "Unhandled Exception" error.

So, I did another restore from last night's backup image. I followed the instructions to Rebuild WMC Database - no errors during this process. I then attempted another upgrade, but the same "Unhandled Exception" error and EPG123 crashes.

So I conclude that there's some kind of a problem with the current installation of EPG123 version 1.0.2 which is preventing me from doing just about anything.

epg123.cfg file

I'm tired of playing with this problem for today, so I am again restoring my disk from last night's backup.
Any insight into how to fix this issue would be appreciated.
There is something in my code that is not reacting too well to some unexpected data. Let me research a little and get back to you.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:46 pm

dc_billm wrote:...

epg123.cfg file
I recommend you change your password with Schedules Direct ... the cfg file has your password hash stored in it.
- Gary

dc_billm

Post by dc_billm » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi Gary.
Thanks, I will change my password.

Also, when I having my coffee this morning, a possible solution came to me. I deleted the contents of the cache folder, ran epg123.exe again, clicked "Save & Execute" and all tasks completed without error. I just finished the upgrade, and everything ran with no errors. There must have been a corrupted file in the cache folder.

Thanks for your assistance & I love EPG123!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:23 pm

dc_billm wrote:...
Good news/Bad news? I just ran through a complete .mxf file generation of your same lineup for 16 days and did not get any errors. So I can only guess at a couple possibilities.

1) The data from Schedules Direct was not complete causing the error (and has now been fixed).
2) The cached file of the program epg123 is trying to process is not complete/corrupted.

Either way, my code should have caught and prevented the exception, so I'll try to figure out where that went wrong. Based on my results, I suggest trying again. If the error is still there, than you will have to clear out the cache folder and repopulate... the error is in the cached file.

FYI: When epg123.exe is running and creating the mxf file, there is no dependence or interaction between epg123 and WMC. It's sole purpose is to create the mxf file and could perform that duty on any windows computer as long as .NET 4.0 is installed. So for future reference ... if epg123.exe crashes, it has nothing to do with the WMC database.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:25 pm

dc_billm wrote:Hi Gary.
Thanks, I will change my password.

Also, when I having my coffee this morning, a possible solution came to me. I deleted the contents of the cache folder, ran epg123.exe again, clicked "Save & Execute" and all tasks completed without error. I just finished the upgrade, and everything ran with no errors. There must have been a corrupted file in the cache folder.

Thanks for your assistance & I love EPG123!
Thanks for updating everyone. Looking back at all the timestamps, I'm confused on why I just noticed this entry. Did you originally post in a different forum?
- Gary

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:35 pm

I haven't switched to v1.1.0 yet but I would like to know if it contains the change I asked for a while back for a different event ID in the event log for EPG123 Error events.
This would allow me to set up my task manager task that triggers on a guide update error and sends me an e-mail when guide update fails. In 1.0.2 all EPG123 evens have ID 0 so the
task would trigger on all EPG123 events. (task manager can only trigger on Log/source/Event ID).
Thanks

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:42 am

stuartm wrote:I haven't switched to v1.1.0 yet but I would like to know if it contains the change I asked for a while back for a different event ID in the event log for EPG123 Error events.
This would allow me to set up my task manager task that triggers on a guide update error and sends me an e-mail when guide update fails. In 1.0.2 all EPG123 evens have ID 0 so the
task would trigger on all EPG123 events. (task manager can only trigger on Log/source/Event ID).
Thanks
Not in 1.1.0 ... For 1.1.1, there will be a new Event ID of 57005 (0xDEAD) for when either epg123.exe or epg123Client.exe fails. I'm not going to go crazy and create multiple Event IDs for all the possible ways an update can fail.

Don't be too surprised if 1.1.1 comes out soon. I'd like to get something out there for the Win10 users and the scheduled task. Also might want to take advantage of some of the SD API changes that are expected soon as well.
- Gary

NathanP2007

Post by NathanP2007 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:23 am

Sorry if this has been brought up and a fix already detailed but hopefully you can help.

So I just upgraded to the new version and got the same error dc_billm had. I decided to just use "Step 1: Clean Start" in the Client tool. So I basically started over. That was fine, but what I noticed before I updated and what I notice is still there having had updated is channels in the 1,000's that are repeats. For example; in searching for Late Night with Seth Meyers there are three options: a) SD channel 5 b) HD channel 105 and c) HD channel 1005. Up until recently I had never had that third option. Any clue why it now is showing up, and how to get rid of it? I checked it out on WMC live and it is an identical broadcast to the 105 channel.

Thanks!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:36 am

From the sounds of it, a lot of folks providers are in flux / rearranging their lineup station's channel numbers. I believe in your case, your provider is moving all the HD channels to 1000+ numbers, while the SD ones stay low. But if you want the channels not to show in the guide, and do it easily, follow the below steps.

1) open epg123Client.exe
2) on the left side, select all the channels you want to disable in the guide (for a range of channels, you can select the first and, while holding SHIFT, select the last)
3) press SPACEBAR to toggle the checkbox value to enable (checked) or disabled (unchecked)

I would not delete the channels or even unsubscribe. They are fine being subscribed and disabled ... works best that way.
- Gary

NathanP2007

Post by NathanP2007 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:58 am

garyan2 wrote:From the sounds of it, a lot of folks providers are in flux / rearranging their lineup station's channel numbers. I believe in your case, your provider is moving all the HD channels to 1000+ numbers, while the SD ones stay low. But if you want the channels not to show in the guide, and do it easily, follow the below steps.

1) open epg123Client.exe
2) on the left side, select all the channels you want to disable in the guide (for a range of channels, you can select the first and, while holding SHIFT, select the last)
3) press SPACEBAR to toggle the checkbox value to enable (checked) or disabled (unchecked)

I would not delete the channels or even unsubscribe. They are fine being subscribed and disabled ... works best that way.
Thank you! Considering (you believe) the provider is the one moving to the new (higher) channels I'll just leave it. But knowing how to disable them is good to know and I might end up using in the feature. It isn't really an issue (having two HD options), I mainly just wanted to make sure something wasn't wrong. So again, thank you!

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:27 am

garyan2 wrote: Not in 1.1.0 ... For 1.1.1, there will be a new Event ID of 57005 (0xDEAD) for when either epg123.exe or epg123Client.exe fails. I'm not going to go crazy and create multiple Event IDs for all the possible ways an update can fail.

Don't be too surprised if 1.1.1 comes out soon. I'd like to get something out there for the Win10 users and the scheduled task. Also might want to take advantage of some of the SD API changes that are expected soon as well.
That should be fine. It will let me get a notification when a guide update fails so I know to go investigate the logs, etc. As long as a failure generates a unique Id it's sufficient. Different failure ID's would just be icing on the cake ;)
Thanks

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:26 pm

Question about epg123 - SNL has a generic description for tonight and no original air date, but on zap2it it lists the host and original air date. I read the directions and did a Rebuild of the WMC database, but it came back as generic again. Shouldn't the updated info be populated into my guide?

Also, a note about doing the rebuild - epg123 couldn't stop the processes that were using the files it was deleting to rebuild so I had to do a safe mode boot and it deleted my database. Then it told me to restart to restore the database (yes, I did have it backed up) ...well on restart it couldn't stop the processes again which would have thrown many users for a loop and made them think they had to resetup everything. I stopped all WMC related processes (Ceton, YAMM??, and ShowAnalyzer) and it then allowed epg123 to access the files needed to rebuild. You may want to mention this in your guide, have epg123 handle those processes as well, or just have it suggest that the user stop other related processes before the safe mode rebuild is attempted.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:17 pm

dkrom wrote:Question about epg123 - SNL has a generic description for tonight and no original air date, but on zap2it it lists the host and original air date. I read the directions and did a Rebuild of the WMC database, but it came back as generic again. Shouldn't the updated info be populated into my guide?
I had the same thing here. After clearing the cache and rebuilding, the guide was then up-to-date. Recommend clearing the cache and running update again ... looks like I'm going to have to revisit the Md5 comparison code between the schedule Md5 and the program Md5. (and I'll probably be pushing an update sooner).
dkrom wrote:Also, a note about doing the rebuild - epg123 couldn't stop the processes that were using the files it was deleting to rebuild so I had to do a safe mode boot and it deleted my database. Then it told me to restart to restore the database (yes, I did have it backed up) ...well on restart it couldn't stop the processes again which would have thrown many users for a loop and made them think they had to resetup everything. I stopped all WMC related processes (Ceton, YAMM??, and ShowAnalyzer) and it then allowed epg123 to access the files needed to rebuild. You may want to mention this in your guide, have epg123 handle those processes as well, or just have it suggest that the user stop other related processes before the safe mode rebuild is attempted.
Thanks for the info. I'll change the method to rebuild the database in safe mode and prompt the user to remember the guide will be empty until the mxf file is imported again once in normal mode. That will make it possible to do a rebuild even if safe mode is necessary.
- Gary

RyC

Post by RyC » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:12 pm

I noticed that tonight's SNL had a generic description too, but the EPG123 scheduled task set at 9am this morning updated it fine without having to clear caches or anything.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:14 pm

RyC wrote:I noticed that tonight's SNL had a generic description too, but the EPG123 scheduled task set at 9am this morning updated it fine without having to clear caches or anything.
Interesting... and you are using v1.1.0? Maybe you had good timing and not getting the initial wrong program file.
- Gary