EPG123 zap2it support

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
neptunepic

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG123 zap2it support

Post by neptunepic » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:52 am

Hi all, I have recently discovered EPG123 and it seems to be working great. The only thing that troubles me is how it's limited only to paid memberships to Schedules Direct.
Is there any way EPG123 could be modified to allow downloading and importing data to WMC from the free Zap2It EPG service?

zap2xml (http://zap2xml.awardspace.info) is an open source program that very elegantly grabs all the EPG data from Zap2It, and it's completely free. All that's needed is for EPG123 to convert and import the resulting XML data to WMC.

If the devs are reading this, would you consider adding this option for people who can't afford to (or don't want to) continue paying for EPG data when it's available for free?

Thanks!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:42 am

neptunepic wrote:Hi all, I have recently discovered EPG123 and it seems to be working great. The only thing that troubles me is how it's limited only to paid memberships to Schedules Direct.
Is there any way EPG123 could be modified to allow downloading and importing data to WMC from the free Zap2It EPG service?

zap2xml (http://zap2xml.awardspace.info) is an open source program that very elegantly grabs all the EPG data from Zap2It, and it's completely free. All that's needed is for EPG123 to convert and import the resulting XML data to WMC.

If the devs are reading this, would you consider adding this option for people who can't afford to (or don't want to) continue paying for EPG data when it's available for free?

Thanks!
I'm going to kinda answer your question. For starters, zap2xml attempts to provide what the Schedules Direct XML service (SD-DD) provides, but by scraping the zap2it website. It's not providing so much a service, as it is taking advantage of service that is freely given. I don't want you to keep the impression that zap2xml is endorsed / approved by zap2it/Tribune Broadcasting. But that is not the reason I haven't gone this route.

I built epg123 around the services and content provided by Schedules Direct (service) and Gracenote (content). More specifically, I built it around the Schedules Direct JSON service (SD-JSON) with its rich content (images, season/episode numbers, actors and character names, directors, guest stars, genres, and more...). I think the best thing I can do for epg123, and the user experience, is to ensure what it produces is high quality and I can only do that by ensuring the content it receives is high quality as well.

Now a question back to you. If I created a xmltv to mxf program that could be used to import into WMC, but charged say $5 for it, would you pay for it? knowing that the content will not be as rich as it could be? Sure, you'll have programs in the guide at the right times, maybe a decent description, but will you have all the cool stuff from what was described above? It will be functional for sure, but that is about it. Given the choice of paying a one-time $5 fee for a meh guide, or dropping $2.08 a month (annual fee of $25) for a solid, enjoyable guide 365 days a year ... which would you choose?

Now if a lot of people say they'd drop the fiver, stay tuned and I'll make it happen. I've already got a lot of the code done (I was using the SD-DD service with mc2xml shortly before creating epg123). But don't expect any bells or whistles. Opening it up to xmltv means I have no control over the content. I can't trust channel numbers, program ids, genres, ... anything. That means all it's going to do is convert from xmltv to mxf, and how it looks in the guide is all up to the choice of the user in selecting the source. I don't want to take the route BSEPG took and make an overly complex program to try and make up for lacking source content.

So now to answer your question ... for epg123 the answer is NO. Not just NO, but HECK NO.

BUT, I can easily create a simple program to convert an xmltv to mxf for import into WMC and provide that.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:22 am

neptunepic wrote:Hi all, I have recently discovered EPG123 and it seems to be working great. The only thing that troubles me is how it's limited only to paid memberships to Schedules Direct.
Why not take the 7 day free trial? No credit card required. You will see for yourself that the $25 annual fee is worth every penny; in fact a bargain compared to Tivo's $15/month. There is also an extended trial plan for 2 months for $6.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:16 pm

The trouble with free is that it goes away. There was a great free feed in the UK with full API, but they closed it down. Free simply isn't sustainable.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

STC

Post by STC » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:30 pm

There aint no such thing as free any more. Ask Trump :?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

neptunepic

Post by neptunepic » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:34 pm

Zap2It isn't going anywhere anytime soon. They are the largest online TV guide in the US.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:26 pm

Yep, using advertising.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:33 pm

neptunepic wrote:Zap2It isn't going anywhere anytime soon. They are the largest online TV guide in the US.
But free scraping of their website could. Only takes a captcha code or similar.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

neptunepic

Post by neptunepic » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:37 pm

Maybe, but in the meantime it works great so no reason to spend money on it if I don't need the extra features SD offers.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:02 pm

I've made a couple of my own scrapers in the past, and they are a beast to maintain. Any little change in a website's template could break the scraper. That's why I steered the direction of my involvement to simply converting an xmltv to an mxf import file. I wouldn't care where the information came from, how you got it, if it is correct or not ... I wouldn't try to apply any logic to the code to try and anticipate what some of the information should be. It would, for all intents and purposes, be a garbage-in/garbage-out kind of program.
- Gary

rmeden

Post by rmeden » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:04 am

neptunepic wrote:Maybe, but in the meantime it works great so no reason to spend money on it if I don't need the extra features SD offers.
How about because it violates the Zap2it.com's Terms of Service? Is that a reason?

It's up to each person to determine if that makes it illegal, immoral or fattening. :)

RobertE

(Disclaimer, I'm President of SD, and also the leader of the XMLTV SF project)

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:46 pm

If you look at it objectively, instead of from the perspective of a WMC user, where Microsoft handled the guide data fees, it is the right choice (if you are in financial position to do so) to support SD if you are using their services.

jonwz

Post by jonwz » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:53 pm

rmeden wrote:
neptunepic wrote:Maybe, but in the meantime it works great so no reason to spend money on it if I don't need the extra features SD offers.
How about because it violates the Zap2it.com's Terms of Service? Is that a reason?

It's up to each person to determine if that makes it illegal, immoral or fattening. :)

RobertE

Question Robert; do you funnel any portion of the Schedules Direct revenue to the application developers that provide your subscribers? Maybe your contract with your data provider doesn't allow for that.

I've already subscribed for a year of SD service, and I've also donated an equivalent amount to Gary for giving us an alternative to this 7mc guide "virus".

I'm asking for the following year for me, and possibly for other people that might think that the only payments they should make are to SD and not to the author of EPG123.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:48 am

jonwz wrote:
rmeden wrote:

RobertE

Question Robert; do you funnel any portion of the Schedules Direct revenue to the application developers that provide your subscribers? Maybe your contract with your data provider doesn't allow for that.

I've already subscribed for a year of SD service, and I've also donated an equivalent amount to Gary for giving us an alternative to this 7mc guide "virus".

I'm asking for the following year for me, and possibly for other people that might think that the only payments they should make are to SD and not to the author of EPG123.
Don't worry ... I don't get any kickbacks. I even had to pay $25 to renew my membership this week. :shock:
- Gary

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:56 am

garyan2 wrote: Don't worry ... I don't get any kickbacks. I even had to pay $25 to renew my membership this week. :shock:
You should! I wonder how many new SD subscribers are the result of EPG123. At the very least, a complimentary subscription for you would be nice.

My 2c
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

STC

Post by STC » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:19 am

We are but a speck of poop in the grand scheme of things unfortunately.
I would guess the number of EPG123 users are in the low-ish hundreds somewhere...

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:30 am

Looking at stats from TMDb, there are at least 430 epg123 users. That doesn't mean I brought SD 400+ new members - it just means 430 members happen to be using epg123. I say "at least" since this is just the number of unique users in a day that have the TMDb option selected for epg123.

And if you're curious, that number was 346 on 19 August.
- Gary

STC

Post by STC » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:33 am

Not bad! ;)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:39 am

Yah, it's actually interesting to watch sometimes the increase in website traffic, the number of users adding up on TMDb, and the correlation to when MS/Rovi is screwing up. The r-squared is undeniable.
Last edited by garyan2 on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Gary

jonwz

Post by jonwz » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:50 am

Actually Gary, that's my worry. I read how many people think the only "cost" of using epg123 is the recurring SD fee.

I have no idea of the economics, and I don't think epg123 is open source, but I do see in the SD webpage header:

"Your membership fees help us fund programs to help your favorite Open Source projects".

I was hoping you got some funds from that.

Thanks again for making the best, but "dead", HD DVR (hopefully) ageless.