WMC records non-New episodes

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
artm

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC records non-New episodes

Post by artm » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:19 pm

Running EPG 0.99, SD, Comcast Boston. Everything's fine except for a recording schedule anomaly:

I have a series recording for Storage Wars on channel 837 AETVHD, new episode, anytime.

I see on the schedule these times on 09/20: 10AM, 1030, 1100, 1130, ...100PM; 10 episodes in all.

Looking at the guide data, it does not display these as "new".In fact there's nothing there, just TV-PG, 30 minutes - that's it, no original airdate.

This has happened previously and only with this series, as far as I can recall. Deleting the series and re-configuring it does not help.

???
-Art --
Win7 Ultimate x64 (NO UPDATES!), EPG123 v1.1.19, Schedules Direct, HDHomerun Prime,
Dell 980 SFF, i5, Nvidia GT710
Dell 780 SFF, i5, HD4000

Space

Post by Space » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:46 pm

When you go out more than 2 weeks or so in to the future, you are going to end up with some shows that do not yet have episode specific information. WMC will schedule episodes without ESI to record just to be safe. Eventually these episodes will get ESI and they will no longer be scheduled to record (assuming they are not new episodes).

If you don't like seeing these, you can set EPG123 settings to get less number of days of guide data as, like I said, the further in to the future you go, the more likely you are to see episodes without ESI. Note that this can also happen for episodes that are less than 2 weeks out, but it is less likely.

artm

Post by artm » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:53 pm

Yes, that's what i thought but I haven't been patient enough to wait for the auto-fix, so I've been deleting them!
-Art --
Win7 Ultimate x64 (NO UPDATES!), EPG123 v1.1.19, Schedules Direct, HDHomerun Prime,
Dell 980 SFF, i5, Nvidia GT710
Dell 780 SFF, i5, HD4000

jbf154

Post by jbf154 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:09 pm

I am having an issue with a series that my wife records. Teen Mom OG (don't judge me, my wife watches it) wants to record the same episode twice. The first instance is correct, but the latter is a duplicate (re-airing the next day). I checked epg123.mxf and the <Program> is only defined exactly once in there. Obviously there are several <ScheduleEntry> elements for it, but that is normal.

Any idea why it wants to record the re-airing?

Space

Post by Space » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:38 am

jbf154 wrote:I am having an issue with a series that my wife records. Teen Mom OG (don't judge me, my wife watches it) wants to record the same episode twice. The first instance is correct, but the latter is a duplicate (re-airing the next day). I checked epg123.mxf and the <Program> is only defined exactly once in there. Obviously there are several <ScheduleEntry> elements for it, but that is normal.

Any idea why it wants to record the re-airing?
This is a bug with importing the guide updates, it happens with both data downloaded from Microsoft/Rovi as well as from EPG123/Gracenote.

The data itself is not the problem, it is a bug with how existing entries are updated. It only happens under certain conditions, and I am not sure exactly what those conditions are, but I know I often see it when airings are first put in the guide without any episode specific info (so they are scheduled to record to be safe) and then those entries are later updated with ESI. If the ESI indicates they are repeats (or otherwise should not be recorded) then they are properly no longer set to be recorded, however if the ESI indicates they are NEW or should be recorded, then it will continue to have all airings of that episode scheduled to record (at least all airings that had generic data prior to being updated with ESI).

glugglug has made a replacement for the Microsoft loadmxf.exe (which loads the guide updates) which may resolve this problem, but I don't know if it is yet stable enough to be used as a replacement (also it will not work with Microsoft supplied data, only clear-text MXF files can be loaded like the ones from EPG123):

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 99&t=10197