How much to donate?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
mitchedo

HTPC Specs: Show details

How much to donate?

Post by mitchedo » Sun May 29, 2016 2:33 pm

Hi,

Question for the dev. If you could charge for EPG123, how much would you charge?

I just joined Green Button. I didn't realize I never registered. I've lurked from time to time, but now that I've found EPG123, I expect to be here a lot more.

I haven't installed EPG123 yet; I just found out about it yesterday, but I'm planning on it today or tomorrow -- whenever I can find some time WMC isn't being used.

I've HATED that steaming pile of Rovi for a year now. That, and the fact that my XBox extenders can't play protected h.264 had me looking at Dish Network's site yesterday. 2 year contract, no trial period, can't archive shows to my UnRAID server. Seriously? People sign up for that on purpose?

Thanks,

--Doug
SageTV refugee

STC

Post by STC » Sun May 29, 2016 6:44 pm

Welcome! 10k. Used unmarked bills. Drop off point will be given by us in due course. If you tell anyone, your extender gets it.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon May 30, 2016 9:51 am

To answer the OP's question: I honestly think it would still be free, and here's why:

I view epg123 as being an unfortunate necessity due to a poor decision by Microsoft that we all had to suffer with. What I have done with epg123 is restored what we once had ... with maybe a few extras. :)

Though epg123 is certainly a unique product, there is nothing ground-breaking about it. I wouldn't have started such an endeavor if I hadn't been shown it was possible.
* emby and mc2xml introduced me to Schedules Direct and showed me they had an API
* MCImportXMLTV helped some with my MXF development
* Lineup Selector and Guide Editor by glugglug showed me I could interact with the WMC database
* GuideTool helped me with troubleshooting and development
* BSEPG showed me what not to do
* probably others ...

As I stated in earlier posts, I am not a software engineer. I have no sense of professional worth in this arena, or ego to stroke, for something that is just a hobby to me. That's not to say I don't take great pride in my work and won't stop until it is done.

So how much to donate? As much as any person feels they need to. I have no way to judge how much the program is worth to the individual. I will note there are more ways to donate than money. During development, feedback is very important. Anybody who provides some constructive feedback, good or bad, just donated some of their time to help develop a better product. Anybody who spreads the word about epg123 on other boards, or at the water cooler, just devoted some time to advertise the product and attract more users. Even a simple 'Thank You' will be appreciated if that is all that is available to give.

So I'm going to throw the question back at you ... how much do you think it is worth?
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

spanner

Post by spanner » Mon May 30, 2016 1:31 pm

At very least I would by this guy a fancy Coffee or a very tall Beer. I was at the point where I was going to ditch the whole system and move on. Not only does the guide work now , but better than ever. I have a bit of cash invested in WMC as we all do and for me it has been saved. I Also remember how much my Xboxes and echos cost, or what I spent on a new video card to keep my premium cable channels working. For me it at least has the value of that Video card.

and garyan2 a BIG Thank you

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue May 31, 2016 3:17 pm

Buy some 31 Flavors for Gary's kids!

kmp14

Post by kmp14 » Tue May 31, 2016 3:54 pm

Tip Gary nicely. He saved me from abandoning Media Center as well. $15-$20 seems fair? More if you want!

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:40 pm

I can't thank you enough garyan2 for making this. I wasn't looking forward to using some of the other suggested methods for replacing guide data before you came out with epg123. I had the easiest time getting WMC setup on a W10 comp and loading the data through epg123. I will probably be moving my main Sever over to it soon as well. : D A donation will also be happening as well to thank you for all your hard work on making the guide switch an easy thing.

: D

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:18 pm

Thanks... the goal was to make it as simple a transition as I could manage. I have 1 more group of people (those with Hauppauge Colossus "tuners") to make their transition just as easy as everyone else's and I think it will be done.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io