Re: Shows Not Recording

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
StinkyImp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by StinkyImp » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:46 pm

technodevotee wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:46 pmI'm grateful that there folks like you out there that freely give others access to their projects. That is what makes the world go round IMHO.
And those of us that tinker appreciate feedback from people like you! :thumbup:

It was through your gracious feedback and supplying your raw files I was able to "step through" and track down the offending line of code (very consistently). That gave me the ability to drill down into what was happening. I don't have a solution, but at least I know what's happening.

Sometime between my version (1709) and your version (21H1) they made a change to that particular subsystem. :x

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:14 pm

technodevotee wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:46 pmI'm grateful that there folks like you out there that freely give others access to their projects. That is what makes the world go round IMHO.
And tinkerers like me are grateful to folks like you that help us improve our projects! :D

After some long months away from home I was finally able to get back on this project. I have successfully parsed your (and my) event log on my Win10 system. I know there are a few non-critical annoyances that I don't have time to devote to right now and you may not even notice them. I do simply because I built it. ;)

A couple of notes:
  • You had a series in your data file that ended in a question mark. Since this utility "reports" in Notepad, that's considered a forbidden filename character. If you find any prohibited characters ( < > : " / \ | ? * ) in the drop-down search box, please delete them before initiating your search. That will save you a program failure when trying to create the Notepad filename. At some point in the future I may strip those out programmatically?
  • Please be aware that you are not limited to the items in the drop down menu. You can type any search term (string) you'd like to find. Examples include "warning", "portion", "channel", "signal loss", "no tv signal", etc.
If you'd like to give it another go, the updated utility is in the "WMC Recording History" folder here in the Version 1.4 folder. This time I've provided both 32 and 64 bit versions.

As usual... this is a fully self contained "portable" utility and never writes anything to your system except in the folder it's placed in. Just drop your preferred "Recordings XX.exe" into an empty folder of your choosing and double-click to run it. To uninstall, delete the folder you created. :thumbup:

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:32 am

Works great now. thanks very much.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:12 pm

technodevotee wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:32 amWorks great now. thanks very much.
Just a heads up. I received a "false positive" this morning that this utility (v1.4) is being classified as a trojan. Even though I know nothing nefarious is going on with my programming I would advise you to delete it from your system until I can find out what's going on and what's triggering this warning.

I have already removed this version from the Mega download site.

Thank you for your understanding!

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:00 pm

UPDATE:

Wow... It appears that Microsoft is cracking down. I knew there was no diabolical or malicious activities occurring within my utilities and scanned every component to make sure. Everything came back clean until it was executed.

Of all the restrictions in place now it appears that the likely cause of this "false positive" is from one (or both) of the following:
  1. I pride myself on creating truly "portable" apps that never write anything to a person's system and can be removed simply by deleting the folder they're placed in. Thereby removing all traces and leaving no artifacts. I've run afoul of one of the restrictions that programs must be run from a "protected" area (such as ..\Program Files\) by using a trusted installer.
  2. This utility is not code signed. Well... that costs money. Since all my applications are FREE, paying to give them away seems ridiculous dumb unprofitable silly.
Considering that WMC is slowly fading out of existence, and my utilities are specifically designed for it, I won't be jumping through any MS hoops to rework them. This is a hobby for me and I only work on them in my spare time.

So if anyone wants to give this a try just DM me. You'll have to whitelist it in your AV product to run it.

Source code available on request if you'd like to see what's under the hood! :thumbup:

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:07 pm

I put v1.4 back up on the download site.

VirusTotal for the 64 bit version comes back clean.

VirusTotal for the 32 bit version comes back as malicious by "SecureAge APEX" but no others.

This doesn't make sense because there's no difference between the two except their bitness (32 vs 64).

I also noticed that "SecureAge APEX" also identified a program by Hauppauge as well as ServerWMC as malicious. Since the forum limits the number of links per post, here's the URLs for these "false" positives by that vendor.

Code: Select all

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/cadca51069089ce70954a393f630a00da26684b7eb79ec7116c4a3a3dcf7f4d3/detection
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/0fd4ecf95600103329943eae961957283e5b2a5381876f132358beef1bdbc7c0/detection
I've never heard of "SecureAge APEX" but evidently they know something that the "well-known" AV vendors don't... or maybe their engine isn't up to par with them? :think:

Anyway, "fidget spinner" 1.4 works with Windows 10.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:29 pm

I trust you and have never heard of SecureAge APEX either.

Anyway, the program is very useful and works very fine on my systems so thanks for your diligence.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:14 pm

technodevotee wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:29 pmI trust you...
That means the world to me. Thank you! :D

I build my utilities for my own personal use so I'm glad it's been useful for you. That alone makes it worth the effort! ;)

TomoA6

Post by TomoA6 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:02 am

StinkyImp Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7 Flags Recordings.exe Versions 1.2 to 1.3 as a virus.
Version 1.4 doesn't work (tested 32bit) doesn't work as I guess it's for Windows 10. It complains about some error line on your H: drive

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:31 pm

Sorry about that. As mentioned in previous posts, those are "false positives" that I'm not inclined to spend the time, effort, and money trying to jump through hoops to overcome. Add in my advancing years and my desire to "fight the man" has waned considerably.

Sadly the days of the small "niche" programmers are coming to an end... :(

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:46 pm

I'd love to know what SecureAge APEX knows that nobody else seems to know? Evidently DropBox is now considered "malicious" too.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/d11 ... /detection

If you'd like to use any of my utilities simply whitelist them.

TomoA6 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:02 am StinkyImp Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7 Flags Recordings.exe Versions 1.2 to 1.3 as a virus.
Version 1.4 doesn't work (tested 32bit) doesn't work as I guess it's for Windows 10. It complains about some error line on your H: drive
All versions (including 1.4) run flawlessly on my Win7 Pro x64 system and I had to whitelist them... :problem: